Is loan money considered income?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In terms of taxes and also for applying for services like WIC and CHIPS. Does anyone know how it works?

Members don't see this ad.

Not for taxes. Dunno WRT the other things.

it's health insurance and money for food for your kids you get from the government if your income is low enough. my kids qualify right now and I'm wondering if they'll get the boot once my bank account is filled with loan money. hope not!

haven't seen you in forever jota. thanks for answering both my questions. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know about the WIC/CHIPS stuff? I looked on the website but it didn't have anything. I imagine it doesn't count. I've heard tales of medical students with kids getting food stamps...:confused:

Several people in my class actually recieve WIC, Food Stamps, etc. All Federal Student Loans are exempt as income and resources. However if you mix the refund checks into an existing account with a large balance then it is very hard to convince the agency the funds are exept. I would advise opening a new account or placing the funds into an account with a $0.00 balance.

Lucky

Several people in my class actually recieve WIC, Food Stamps, etc. All Federal Student Loans are exempt as income and resources. However if you mix the refund checks into an existing account with a large balance then it is very hard to convince the agency the funds are exept. I would advise opening a new account or placing the funds into an account with a $0.00 balance.

Lucky

thanks! I will be broke by this summer so this is not a problem!

does anyone know about the WIC/CHIPS stuff? I looked on the website but it didn't have anything. I imagine it doesn't count. I've heard tales of medical students with kids getting food stamps...:confused:

It may be state dependent. My state considers it as income +pissed+ , but it is "self reported", so I guess one could under-report...but I'm too paranoid to try that. Good luck :luck: