Is low 240s STEP good enough for upper-mid tier IM programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndieKush

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received a 242 on STEP. Grateful for breaking 240s, had predictions/goals set for 250+ but it's all good I've accepted it. I go to an established DO school in the North East. "Upper-mid tier" IM programs I had in mind included Thomas Jeff, Temple, Georgetown, Albert Einstein, GWU etc. Also, does my STEP score give me any shot at any top 25 programs?

I have about 6-7 abstracts/poster sessions, working on 1-2 manuscripts and hoping to increase those numbers by the time I apply. If I play my other cards right (solid LOR's + clerkship grades, decent STEP 2) is it possible to match into the places I mentioned? Or do they only consider DO applicants with 250+. Based off the listed residents of some of these institutions, now and then I'll see a DO listed. Asking b/c I understand its tougher for DO applicants to get their foot into the door at certain academic institutions and haven't found a clear answer.

I know there's more to the application than just board scores, just trying to guage if my score will hold me back from anywhere. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Your step score should be fine to get you past the initial screens at the places you listed as a DO. You may be able to snag an interview or 2 at a higher tier program. Some places, like Cleveland Clinic, typically do more of a "holistic view." The rest of your app is pretty solid. I would keep doing what you're doing, and you should be able to get an even better score on step 2, which will be helpful as some programs have been starting to give that more weight. One thing you may want to consider doing when you apply is tailoring your PS to the specific schools, at least the ones at the top of your list. If you have the space available then adding 2-4 sentences that touch on things the program felt were important enough to put on their website doesn't hurt.

Your step score should be fine to get you past the initial screens at the places you listed as a DO. You may be able to snag an interview or 2 at a higher tier program. Some places, like Cleveland Clinic, typically do more of a "holistic view." The rest of your app is pretty solid. I would keep doing what you're doing, and you should be able to get an even better score on step 2, which will be helpful as some programs have been starting to give that more weight. One thing you may want to consider doing when you apply is tailoring your PS to the specific schools, at least the ones at the top of your list. If you have the space available then adding 2-4 sentences that touch on things the program felt were important enough to put on their website doesn't hurt.

Thanks for your insight and advice. That's good to know! Would you happen to be aware of any resources out there that sort of stratify the IM residencies, and perhaps a DO friendly list? Hard to find general stats out there!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a 242 on STEP. Grateful for breaking 240s, had predictions/goals set for 250+ but it's all good I've accepted it. I go to an established DO school in the North East. "Upper-mid tier" IM programs I had in mind included Thomas Jeff, Temple, Georgetown, Albert Einstein, GWU etc. Also, does my STEP score give me any shot at any top 25 programs?

I have about 6-7 abstracts/poster sessions, working on 1-2 manuscripts and hoping to increase those numbers by the time I apply. If I play my other cards right (solid LOR's + clerkship grades, decent STEP 2) is it possible to match into the places I mentioned? Or do they only consider DO applicants with 250+. Based off the listed residents of some of these institutions, now and then I'll see a DO listed. Asking b/c I understand its tougher for DO applicants to get their foot into the door at certain academic institutions and haven't found a clear answer.

I know there's more to the application than just board scores, just trying to guage if my score will hold me back from anywhere. Thanks!

Matching an elite program as a DO is a lot more intricate than just scores. It requires mentorship and people willing to go to bat for you. You need to become a known commodity.

Your score is good enough to take you as far as the rest of your app can go.

Reactions: 1 users
Matching an elite program as a DO is a lot more intricate than just scores. It requires mentorship and people willing to go to bat for you. You need to become a known commodity.

Your score is good enough to take you as far as the rest of your app can go.

You're absolutely right from what I gathered. Personally, I'd be happy with a mid-tier university program in a desirable city. Just wanted to see if my score was good enough for these programs, relieved to know it is! Will focus on the rest of the app. Thank you.

Thanks for your insight and advice. That's good to know! Would you happen to be aware of any resources out there that sort of stratify the IM residencies, and perhaps a DO friendly list? Hard to find general stats out there!
There isn't really a great resource. There are things like USNWR and Doximity rankings, but they aren't that reliable. The reddit IM residency application spreadsheet also has a rank list or two thrown together based on applicants' opinions. As far as DO friendly, your best approach is just looking to see places that have taken a DO before. Freida lists stats and requirements but it's hard to know if they are updated or if the programs even adhere to them.

I have about 6-7 abstracts/poster sessions, working on 1-2 manuscripts and hoping to increase those numbers by the time I apply.
I am so impressed of your research outputs! Can you elaborate on how you find these opportunities, especially in a DO school, and how you balanced with school work? I assumed you did all of these in the first 2 years of medical school.

There isn't really a great resource. There are things like USNWR and Doximity rankings, but they aren't that reliable. The reddit IM residency application spreadsheet also has a rank list or two thrown together based on applicants' opinions. As far as DO friendly, your best approach is just looking to see places that have taken a DO before. Freida lists stats and requirements but it's hard to know if they are updated or if the programs even adhere to them.

I see, thank you for the suggestions! I will follow up with those resources.

I am so impressed of your research outputs! Can you elaborate on how you find these opportunities, especially in a DO school, and how you balanced with school work? I assumed you did all of these in the first 2 years of medical school.

Thank you! Yes, most of my research has been done during the first 2 years (2/3 abstracts were from undergrad). None of my research is associated with my medical school, as like most DO schools, offered minimal opportunities. I managed to find a PI at a research heavy institution in a nearby city. I started the summer after my first year. I'm working on a few projects, one of which has churned out half my abstracts and poster sessions/conferences. All you need is one legitimate project with a supportive PI that can churn out many results. Most of my clinical research is done remotely, and fortunately my first 2 years were P/F so I was able to allocate my time to study for classes, boards and do about 4-5 hrs of research per week. Don't be afraid to reach out to multiple PI's at academic institutions asking if they have any projects you could be a part of. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users