Is mail order pharmacy the future of pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puppypaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a pre-pharm student, but after doing some research and talking to one of my professors I'm thinking about leaving pharmacy, and wanted to know other people's opinions. I'm worried that most jobs for pharmacists will be in mail order pharmacies in the near future. I was talking to one of my professors and he wasn't worried about the possible saturation as much as he was the fact the pharmacy seemed to be turning to mail order. Does anyone have opinions or information about this?

Thanks a lot

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I'm a pre-pharm student, but after doing some research and talking to one of my professors I'm thinking about leaving pharmacy, and wanted to know other people's opinions. I'm worried that most jobs for pharmacists will be in mail order pharmacies in the near future. I was talking to one of my professors and he wasn't worried about the possible saturation as much as he was the fact the pharmacy seemed to be turning to mail order. Does anyone have opinions or information about this?

Thanks a lot

I don't think mailing pharmacy will be the future pharmacy, because I know that a lot of customers doesn't like mailing pharmacy and many time they will get broken tabs in the mail..

You'll have to drag me kicking and screaming from AmCare.

At least in hospitals here in CA, Pharmacists are an indispensable part of the multi-disciplinary approach, and without us, MDs would be killing/severely injuring an extra 600-900 patients a month (interventions we catch).

Members don't see this ad :)
Automated machines (this is the 3rd company I know of that does something like this) are something to think about it:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700094112/Meds-vending-machine-makes-first-Wyo-appearance.html

cost is $100,00 for the machine

I was reading about a hospital in New York that is fully automated like this and they haven't reduced a single pharmacist or technician hour in over a year of having them. People are vastly overstating the impact of these machines. Useful yes, replacements for pharmacists, no.

I hope mail order pharmacies start to expand...I want to work in one in the future...preferably from HOME. LOL...

I was reading about a hospital in New York that is fully automated like this and they haven't reduced a single pharmacist or technician hour in over a year of having them. People are vastly overstating the impact of these machines. Useful yes, replacements for pharmacists, no.

There are a thousand and one points at hand to support the above statement made by Passion4Sci :thumbup:

But just remember this one; it's completely a machine.....a MACHINE! Nuff said.

There are a thousand and one points at hand to support the above statement made by Passion4Sci :thumbup:

But just remember this one; it's completely a machine.....a MACHINE! Nuff said.

SKYNET is coming for us alllllllllllll!!!

That's what Dec 21, 2012 is all about. The day the machines... become self-aware.

images

I hope mail order pharmacies start to expand...I want to work in one in the future...preferably from HOME. LOL...

an at-home pharmacist? the idea is growing on me... :) you log into a system at home and verify scripts from home. i doubt it will happen but definitely interesting

an at-home pharmacist? the idea is growing on me... :) you log into a system at home and verify scripts from home. i doubt it will happen but definitely interesting

yeah, there are already work at home mail order pharmacists. I know one. Here is a website. Scroll to the bottom. http://www.medcohealth.com/medco/corporate/home.jsp?ltSess=y&articleID=CorpDiversity

But they are hard to get b/c EVERYONE wants to work from home! lol...

I also know a pharmacist that work from home writing drug protocols.

SHC I know you want to move here.;)
We have several mail-order centers here.:D

SHC I know you want to move here.;)
We have several mail-order centers here.:D

Anywhere with hot weather and nice shopping malls I will move to! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Not everyone, because I don't want to work for home. Not even a tiny bit.

Oh yeah, that's right. You told me your wife will make you run a million errands if you work from home! lol...

Anywhere with hot weather and nice shopping malls I will move to! :D
:laugh: What about a place where the weather fluctuates? It was like 6 degrees last night.:scared: But in the summer it averages around 85-90.

Look at the FB pic I uploaded yesterday. I was that layered and still cold.:(

:laugh: What about a place where the weather fluctuates? It was like 6 degrees last night.:scared: But in the summer it averages around 85-90.

Look at the FB pic I uploaded yesterday. I was that layered and still cold.:(

Okay, I will live anywhere with hot weather during the summers and a WORK AT HOME job that pays at least 100K a year! LOL...I can't be picky when it is so hard to find a job as a pharmacist now. :rolleyes:

Okay, I will live anywhere with hot weather during the summers and a WORK AT HOME job that pays at least 100K a year! LOL...I can't be picky when it is so hard to find a job as a pharmacist now. :rolleyes:
Plenty of jobs here. Noone wants to live in NM. I think it's because Delano is perpetuating that we are a desert like death valley.:p

I don't think any of the pharmacist jobs I have seen posted here have ever been below 100k. The lowest I saw I think was 101 or 106k for entry level pharmacist for the VA.

You need to move to Phoenix then. Lots of mail order centers (CVS, ExpressScripts, Humana, etc.) and there are a ton of shopping malls to suit your materialistic needs. I imagine you would fit in nicely in Scottsdale.

Nope you need to move to NM. AZ is too hot;). Besides we beat ASU this year in Basketball.

Nope you need to move to NM. AZ is too hot;).

Dude! I just scraped ice off my windshield this morning in order to get to work... and I live in the heart of Phoenix! Hell - I mean, Phoenix hath frozen over! ;)

yeah, there are already work at home mail order pharmacists. I know one. Here is a website. Scroll to the bottom. http://www.medcohealth.com/medco/corporate/home.jsp?ltSess=y&articleID=CorpDiversity

But they are hard to get b/c EVERYONE wants to work from home! lol...

I also know a pharmacist that work from home writing drug protocols.

PS - My boyfriend just started working from home for Medco as a Pharm Tech. I am so jealous, especially when I'm scraping ice off my windshield before dawn...