Is May 22nd mcat early enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mangoroxmysox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to apply this coming application season, but am thinking of taking the mcat on May 22nd because I have a heavy class/work load this quarter and would like a little more time to study (I originally scheduled 4/18/09). This would mean that I would have to submit my AMCAS and AACOMAS apps in late June. Is this still considered early for application submission?

Thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to apply this coming application season, but am thinking of taking the mcat on May 22nd because I have a heavy class/work load this quarter and would like a little more time to study (I originally scheduled 4/18/09). This would mean that I would have to submit my AMCAS and AACOMAS apps in late June. Is this still considered early for application submission?

Thank you! :)

Yes.

Moreover, this question seems to confuse premeds. AMcas does not send out verified applications until after June 21st or around there. After you're verified, and after June 21st, they will send out your app regardless of whether your MCAT score is in. Finally, by early, people mean amcas verified, secondary turned in with fee, and lors sent. You need all three of those. Most consider early to have the aforementioned items in by early August. You're more than Okay.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm taking that test date too! So we can't submit AMCAS without an MCAT score? I figure a month late is okay, especially if I have really fast secondary turn around.

I'm taking that test date too! So we can't submit AMCAS without an MCAT score? I figure a month late is okay, especially if I have really fast secondary turn around.

No, I made a mistake. You can submit Amcas WITHOUT your MCAT score. What I meant was that even if you have your MCAT score and submit Amcas on say June 5, and lets assume you're verified in a couple days, June 7, then Amcas won't forward your app to medical schools until after June 21st or around there. Consequently, those of you take it May 22, will get your scores on June 23rd. If you're already verified then there is no difference between you guys and those who had their MCAT score when they submitted in early June :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good deal, thanks for the advice Will, that puts me right on track to at least my dates being competitive with everyone else.

Yes.

Moreover, this question seems to confuse premeds. AMcas does not send out verified applications until after June 21st or around there. After you're verified, and after June 21st, they will send out your app regardless of whether your MCAT score is in. Finally, by early, people mean amcas verified, secondary turned in with fee, and lors sent. You need all three of those. Most consider early to have the aforementioned items in by early August. You're more than Okay.

Good luck.

@Will: Your logic seems sound enough, and I thank you for your comment as I am scheduled for May 02 and would benefit by taking May 22. Are you 100% on that May 22 date? You said that AMCAS doesn't verify your app until June 21st. I have not heard that from any counselor's, where are you getting your information from? I'm not doubting what you have said, I'm just curious.

As most schools go by rolling admissions, it seems best to get those secondaries in asap. So if your AMCAS isn't verified until June 21st (Which I'm not sure where you heard that from) then that means secondaries will come in early to mid July. If you send the secondaries back quickly, that will mean by end of July or beginning of August, you should have it all in. Of course it depends on how competitive you are right? I mean, people with lower MCAT scores should apply as early as possible right?

Thanks for the feedback and the info

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you...registered 4/18 now looking at 5/22. Good Luck!

@Will: Your logic seems sound enough, and I thank you for your comment as I am scheduled for May 02 and would benefit by taking May 22. Are you 100% on that May 22 date? You said that AMCAS doesn't verify your app until June 21st. I have not heard that from any counselor's, where are you getting your information from? I'm not doubting what you have said, I'm just curious.

As most schools go by rolling admissions, it seems best to get those secondaries in asap. So if your AMCAS isn't verified until June 21st (Which I'm not sure where you heard that from) then that means secondaries will come in early to mid July. If you send the secondaries back quickly, that will mean by end of July or beginning of August, you should have it all in. Of course it depends on how competitive you are right? I mean, people with lower MCAT scores should apply as early as possible right?

Thanks for the feedback and the info

No, you misunderstood me. Take it May 22. You can be verified on the first day say June 5th. HOWEVER, Amcas WONT forward your application to Medical schools until after June 21st or June 22 (it varies but is close to this date). So, those of you who are taking on June 22 should submit as early as possible. What I meant was that you will be verified and when your MCAT comes in on June 23rd, AMCAS will forward your App to schools. So, even though you took your mcat "later" it is basically the same thing as someone who was verified in early June and had their MCAT. Get it?

Finally, when people mean "early" they aren't talking about AMCAs submission. Although this plays a role. What they mean by complete is that your AMcas was submitted verified and school has MCAT score which allows you to complete secondaries, pay fees, and by deemed complete by said Med School by early August or Late July.

In closing, One could submit their Amcas in Mid July, Take MCAT on July 2, and spend the entire month of July on the secondaries. Thanks to people like SHEMARtY, one can pre write secondaries at most schools. Then lets say one is verified in early August, they get their MCAT score on Aug 4 and can submit their completed secondaries and be complete by mid August and be early. The key is being complete. Lors and Secondary turnaround play the biggest role.

I'm in the same boat as you...registered 4/18 now looking at 5/22. Good Luck!

I sent a PM, and feel this would be beneficial to all.

No, I made a mistake. You can submit Amcas WITHOUT your MCAT score. What I meant was that even if you have your MCAT score and submit Amcas on say June 5, and lets assume you're verified in a couple days, June 7, then Amcas won't forward your app to medical schools until after June 21st or around there. Consequently, those of you take it May 22, will get your scores on June 23rd. If you're already verified then there is no difference between you guys and those who had their MCAT score when they submitted in early June

So, if you can, submit before you get your MCAT score. Like say some submits on the first day June 5 and is verified that day. Lets say they have their MCAT score. Let's say you submit and get verified as well. Amcas won't forward both your applications until June 21st or thereabouts to schools. Consequently, on the 23rd they will automatically update your MCAT score and schools will have them. In fact, it's well believed that AAMC get's your score a couple days earlier. So you're even better off.

I sent a PM, and feel this would be beneficial to all.

No, I made a mistake. You can submit Amcas WITHOUT your MCAT score. What I meant was that even if you have your MCAT score and submit Amcas on say June 5, and lets assume you're verified in a couple days, June 7, then Amcas won't forward your app to medical schools until after June 21st or around there. Consequently, those of you take it May 22, will get your scores on June 23rd. If you're already verified then there is no difference between you guys and those who had their MCAT score when they submitted in early June

So, if you can, submit before you get your MCAT score. Like say some submits on the first day June 5 and is verified that day. Lets say they have their MCAT score. Let's say you submit and get verified as well. Amcas won't forward both your applications until June 21st or thereabouts to schools. Consequently, on the 23rd they will automatically update your MCAT score and schools will have them. In fact, it's well believed that AAMC get's your score a couple days earlier. So you're even better off.

I see, that makes more sense now. You still have not said where you got this information from though. There have been other thread posts on SDN of people getting verified prior to June 20th http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=413112

What is your response to that thread? Thanks!

I see, that makes more sense now. You still have not said where you got this information from though. There have been other thread posts on SDN of people getting verified prior to June 20th http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=413112

What is your response to that thread? Thanks!

Did you not read my post? I said you can be verified as early as the same day you submit, say June 5th. However, AMCAS won't forward your verified application until around June 21st. That thread PROVES my point. Some of those kids were verified on June 12, however, AMCAS DID NOT forward their app to schools until June 21 or 22, get it? So, those of you who take it on May 22, should still submit early. Then you'll get your scores on June 23rd and Amcas will FORWARD your application then. It's not complicated. It's Amcas DELAY in forwarding your application that allows you guys go "cATCH UP."

In closing, the day you're verified, doesn't mean that your App is submitted. This is only true for those who are Verified AFTER say June 22nd or there abouts.

To illustrate, If someone is verified on June 5th, AMCas doesn't forward their app until June 21 or there about. Now, if someone is verified on July 2nd, then AMCAS forwards it that day? Get it?

I graduated HS in 2004 and have read hundreds of threads regarding this issue so I am not dispensing inaccurate advice.

AMCAS won't forward your verified application until around June 21st. That thread PROVES my point. Some of those kids were verified on June 12, however, AMCAS DID NOT forward their app to schools until June 21 or 22, get it?

Yes, I understand the difference, thanks for the info. I wonder why AMCAS have this arbitrary date of June 21st/22nd for forwarding those apps? Why don't they just forward them after they are verified?