Is MCAT score 24 (11/6/7) low to apply for DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennifer1585

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT score: 11/6/7
Just want to get some opinions. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm afraid it is, especially with the 6 and 7 sub-scores.

Other folks will have more insight.

I would high suggest a retake. Bio is probably one of the easier sections to improve on with content review and practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 24 (11/6/7) is a lower score but I've seen worse.. It might not be the death of you at a DO school if you have a great (and I mean GREAT) GPA and ECs, ect. I would be concerned about the imbalance of the section scores. A 24 with an 8/8/8 might look marginally better. Most schools do like to see an 8 or higher in each section. I would practice your verbal reasoning skills. The biology section is mainly a rehash of verbal with a dash of knowledge based questions. I would suggest a retake as well.

As a general rule of thumb I would say yes, 24 is low. HOWEVER, if you have a higher GPA and you are in a region where the DO school has lower stats for incoming students you do have a shot. I would not expect many interviews though. Again, this all depends on your GPA and ECs. Even for regional DO schools you will need a great GPA/ECs. I would strongly suggest retaking it.

Depending upon your extracurricular activities, you will be just fine.

Hypothetically, if you had a 3.5cGPA with decent ECs, I would expect 3-4 interviews if you apply ~10 schools.

People say a lot of stuff here on SDN. The most important thing you can do is to take a look at your situation and reason out if you think you have a shot. That's all you need! One acceptance. So, if the funds are available, I say go for it.

I got into 5 schools with a 24 (8/6/10)... so it's not impossible.

As others have said, it may be worth applying if you have no preference for school and will go to any school in any location. If you want a more established school or a school in a specific location/region, it would be worth a retake. This is especially true if you didn't study adequately for the first pass and genuinely think you can improve your score.

Many schools will reject you. But if your science GPA is > 3.3 and you apply to 15+ schools (including ALL the new ones), you will practically be a shoe-in. I also assume your EC's are acceptable.

You have 2 months to study before the cycle starts to come to a frenzy. Start studying.

Reactions: 1 user
As many others have said, Depends on EC's and GPA as well as your background. I was accepted with a 24 (10V/6B/8P) on the 2nd MCAT attempt. But, I was a non-trad with a clinical background. Out of 18 applications, I only had 3 interviews: 1 reject, 1 waitlist, and 1 acceptance. Your best bet would be to retake the MCAT and apply broadly.

So, how about 11/5/8 with 3.7+ cGPA and sGPA?

@CluvK ... You might have a decent shot at some low tier schools, such as LUCOM, VCOM, WVCOM, KYCOM, WCUCOM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM-GA, SOMA etc... If English is your second language, your odd might be a little bit better (I am assuming that 5 is in VR).

Members don't see this ad :)
@CluvK ... You might have a decent shot at some low tier schools, such as LUCOM, VCOM, WVCOM, KYCOM, WCUCOM, LMU-DCOM, PCOM-GA, SOMA etc... If English is your second language, your odd might be a little bit better (I am assuming that 5 is in VR).
Yes, English is my second language. Thank you for the school list.

I got in with a 24 (8/9/7) and 3.83 s&cGPA but I only got one interview out of the 5 DOs and 2 MD that I applied to. If you want to apply this cycle, I HIGHLY recommend a DO LOR.

Esl might be the kiss of death here, unless you are urm

I got into 5 schools with a 24 (8/6/10)... so it's not impossible.

You also had a 10 in BS, whereas OP has a 7. That's a little different. Its true OP could get in to some school if they apply broadly to the lower tier/new schools, but this is the app process. Its much better to put your best foot forward the first time around. OP, if you think you can improve, I would retake and apply broadly ASAP.

You bombed two sections, OP. It would be best to retake, but you might squeak into a low rung school like acom.

I've seen plenty of decent do schools take 24s, like msu, western u, and etc.

Just be a strong interviewer, which may be a problem if u r esl

You bombed two sections, OP. It would be best to retake, but you might squeak into a low rung school like acom.
I think with VCOM's new Auburn campus, both ACOM and VCOM-Auburn's competitiveness will really suffer.

I've seen plenty of decent do schools take 24s, like msu, western u, and etc.

Just be a strong interviewer, which may be a problem if u r esl
None of those schools will take someone with both a 6 in verbal and a 7 in bio. It has nothing to do with being a good interviewer.

Reactions: 1 users
None of those schools will take someone with both a 6 in verbal and a 7 in bio. It has nothing to do with being a good interviewer.
They have. Non urm too.

This is common knowledge. Just look at the threads

They have. Non urm too.

This is common knowledge. Just look at the threads

Relying on one or two examples as if they are direct statistical derivations that can be applied and generalized is a poor choice indeed.

Honestly a 7 in bio is a very poor score. Many medical schools will look at such a score and be doubtful that the person has the capacity to grasp more difficult biology.

All I can say is good luck to you this cycle and apply broadly with the newer schools to increase your chances. Look at each school's website for cut offs so you don't waste money. Maybe study for the MCAT again and update schools when you get it. Retake in September and update schools then and if you score higher, add in a few more competitive schools.

hey you should totally retake - the first time I took the test I got a 23, and I retook and got a 29 - you too can improve!!! It's not impossible - you can up that BS score - you just need to study your bio and know it cold. Good Luck!

hey you should totally retake - the first time I took the test I got a 23, and I retook and got a 29 - you too can improve!!! It's not impossible - you can up that BS score - you just need to study your bio and know it cold. Good Luck!
What did you do differently to increase your score? I made a 24 (7/9/8) but this was my 3rd time taking it. gpa 3.86. sgpa 3.6. I only slept 4 hours prior to, so I've got some serious test anxiety which I'll have to work on.

lol, I barely slept too before the test, but I drank a lot of coffee, which really helped. Well the first time I took the test, I had strep throat and I should've canceled! My VR score still stinks though - I went from a 5 to a 6. But as far as the sciences - what I highly recommend is knowing your sciences! I thoroughly studied my sciences for the second test - and my PS went from 8 to a 10, and BS went from 10 to 13. If you don't understand concept, study it and don't ignore it. Most imp. is practice the format of the exam. BS and PS passages tend to contain the info to help you answer some of the qs, so you should learn how to read them properly to extract the info from them. I think the better you undesrtand the format of the test the more comfortable you'll feel. Also, get used to seeing unknown scenarios - because I think the hardest part of the exam is not knowing what its going to hit with - but realize the info is all rooted within what you studied - and you have to figure out what concept the test is asking you about.
Good Luck!!!