Is MD completely out of the question for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So AACOMAS grade replacement is a god send because thanks to grade replacements my GPA is above the cutoff. I was thinking though, since my GPA is at a 2.75 cumulative even after getting a 3.90 post bacc at my first attempt at a premed curriculum, are my chances at getting into an MD school impossible no matter how good I do on the MCAT? Would there be any way to get passed the screen? I'm URM (Hispanic) too, but I put down Hispanic and white because i'm half hispanic half middle eastern.

Members don't see this ad.

So AACOMAS grade replacement is a god send because thanks to grade replacements my GPA is above the cutoff. I was thinking though, since my GPA is at a 2.75 cumulative even after getting a 3.90 post bacc at my first attempt at a premed curriculum, are my chances at getting into an MD school impossible no matter how good I do on the MCAT? Would there be any way to get passed the screen? I'm URM (Hispanic) too, but I put down Hispanic and white because i'm half hispanic half middle eastern.
What is your MCAT?
How many units in your pbac?
Which Hispanic community?
Language skills?
Community service?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't you basically already ask this on another thread or was this someone else with similar stats?

If you look under my first post I posted saying "Going to ask this in the premed forum". So the post in the premed forum is the same exact question. I felt it was more appropriate in that section. I meant to say that mods can just delete this thread and that i'm reposting it in premed.

Reactions: 1 user
What is your MCAT?
How many units in your pbac?
Which Hispanic community?
Language skills?
Community service?

49 credits premed post bacc, first attempt at it. 3.90 GPA
Last 71 credit hours in school are 3.90 GPA too.

I don't get "Which Hispanic community?" I mean, my mom is Venezuelan and her kids (she had from a previous marriage) were born in Venezuela, but I grew up around a lot of Hispanics from other nationalities like Mexican and Central American countries.

Language skills- English, spanish, arabic. Guess this matters since you're asking.

My EC's are:

140 hours volunteering in my state school's hospital
80 hours volunteering at my state school hospital's oncology center
40 hours of shadowing an MD
One academic school year tutoring middle school children from disadvantaged neighborhoods.
I also took music really seriously early during my undergrad and worked with vocal and performance coaches, was a songwriter and sang at open mics. Worked on an album and spent some time recording in the studio. I just put this under extracurricular activities.

By the end of the summer i'm going to have another 100 hours of volunteer work and some more shadowing hours too.

I get my MCAT score on July 19th. The point of this thread was to ask if MD was totally out of the question because of my GPA as a number, regardless of my MCAT. In other words, do ALL MD schools screen based on GPA?

Venezolanos are not considered under-represented in medicine. Language skills are always appreciated, though.
Given what you have posted, your MD chances will have a lot to do with your state of residence and whether your gpa beats pre-set cut-offs.

If you look under my first post I posted saying "Going to ask this in the premed forum". So the post in the premed forum is the same exact question. I felt it was more appropriate in that section. I meant to say that mods can just delete this thread and that i'm reposting it in premed.
If you wish to capture mods attention, you need to tag one of us - we don't monitor threads. But on that note, closing given that you've cross posted it elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.