Quantcast

Is MD completely out of the question for me?

Travel to Ghana on the Ultimate Med Immersion
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So AACOMAS grade replacement is a god send because thanks to grade replacements my GPA is above the cutoff. I was thinking though, since my GPA is at a 2.75 cumulative even after getting a 3.90 post bacc at my first attempt at a premed curriculum, are my chances at getting into an MD school impossible no matter how good I do on the MCAT? Would there be any way to get passed the screen? I'm URM (Hispanic) too, but I put down Hispanic and white because i'm half hispanic half middle eastern.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are MD schools that reward reinvention (when combined with an excellent MCAT score).

What community do you represent? Not all Hispanics are URM. Spanish language skills are always appreciated, though. Even more important is evidence of service to one's community.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are MD schools that reward reinvention (when combined with an excellent MCAT score).

What community do you represent? Not all Hispanics are URM. Spanish language skills are always appreciated, though. Even more important is evidence of service to one's community.

Well I grew up in both communities. My parents were both really busy so me and my siblings spent a lot of time with hispanic baby sitters. We also were pretty involved in my dad's arab community too. My mom actually had three children in her native country of Venezuela before moving to the US and marrying my dad (At a Kaplan test prep class for boards, cute ;P) so I pretty much had a strong dose of both cultures.

I got some pretty good EC's too. I was just curious as to how the heck i'm gonna even get my foot in the door with my GPA at 2.75. Won't I get screened out no matter how high my MCAT is?

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The trick will be getting human eyeballs on your app. Your best odds will be with your state MD school.

Well that's encouraging...my state school is where my dad did his fellowship and has an assistant professor title at. Hopefully this comes up when they see my app or enter it into their system or something.

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Well I grew up in both communities. My parents were both really busy so me and my siblings spent a lot of time with hispanic baby sitters. We also were pretty involved in my dad's arab community too. My mom actually had three children in her native country of Venezuela before moving to the US and marrying my dad (At a Kaplan test prep class for boards, cute ;P) so I pretty much had a strong dose of both cultures.

I got some pretty good EC's too. I was just curious as to how the heck i'm gonna even get my foot in the door with my GPA at 2.75. Won't I get screened out no matter how high my MCAT is?

That is cute! How many post-bacc credits do you have? Wayne State, for example, will replace your total GPAs with your post-bacc GPA if you have taken at least 20 post-bacc credits.

Venezuelans are not considered URM but language skills will help and service to the Hispanic community will be looked upon favorably.

I think you do have a good chance at MD but you will need to find schools that don't screen GPAs below a 3.0. Your MCAT score will also be very important.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
That is cute! How many post-bacc credits do you have? Wayne State, for example, will replace your total GPAs with your post-bacc GPA if you have taken at least 20 post-bacc credits.

Venezuelans are not considered URM but language skills will help and service to the Hispanic community will be looked upon favorably.

I think you do have a good chance at MD but you will need to find schools that don't screen GPAs below a 3.0. Your MCAT score will also be very important.

49 credits post bacc of just straight science. Bio 1,2 ; Gen chem 1,2 ;physics 1 and 2, Cell bio w lab, Anatomy and phys 1,2 w lab; Orgo 1,2 w lab- All A's but B in Physics 1 and Bio 2 (evolution, but this I took before Post bacc). Then I have my last 2 semesters in my undergrad all A's in Upper level psych courses and sociology, philsophy, anthropology. I know i've said this a lot on these forums but this is my first attempt at a premed curriculum, so it's not like I for example, got a D in orgo the first time and retook it for an A.

So my GPA for my last 71 credit hours is 3.9-3.92 I think. But before that my academic record is a mess. I racked up so many bad credits because before I majored in psych I wanted to do music in art school and didn't take it seriously, my GPA is stuck.

I don't want to come off as a fair weather fan in the context of MD vs DO. I really agree with the DO philosophy, and the holistic approach to healthcare has been seared in me at a young age. My mom was very into holistic stuff and introduced me to it, and took such an approach to her dental practice. My dad is an MD though and I feel like it would make him proud if I did it too. No i'm not doing it for my dad, but I would really feel happy inside knowing that I made my father proud even if it means getting a title that would make him that much more happier. But I would be happy either way as a DO or MD. I just want to practice medicine.

Plus, I won't have to worry about taking both the USMLE and COMLEX, because I want to do an internal medicine residency.

Last edited:

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Does anyone know any other MD schools that take post bacc credits into consideration like Wayne state?

LSU-NO but they have a heavy in-state bias. I think you should search around these forums and on MDApps to see where applicants got accepted with a <3.0. Your biggest challenge will be getting past screening, I think.

Reactions: 1 user

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hmm...So I noticed in AMCAS "my total undergraduate BCPM" is 3.28 (Above cutoff) and my total undergrad GPA is 2.75. Maybe the BCPM being above cutoff will get me passed screens?

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do very well on the MCAT... That and your Post-bac BCPM GPA should get eyeballs on your application, particularly if you check the Hispanic box.

What was your undergrad major... did you do anything or prepare for a specific career before switching to pre-med? You might get eyeballs as a non-trad, too.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do very well on the MCAT... That and your Post-bac BCPM GPA should get eyeballs on your application, particularly if you check the Hispanic box.

What was your undergrad major... did you do anything or prepare for a specific career before switching to pre-med? You might get eyeballs as a non-trad, too.

Psychology. I wanted to do something with working with people, making a difference in peoples lives. But I really did not have a clear path planned. I was also huge into music and spent alot of time working on music, songwriting, working on my instrument skills with vocal coaches and recording in the studio, and playing at open mics. I wrote about it in my EC's and briefly touched on it in my PS.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goro gave me a list of schools I should look into that "reward for reinvention' a while back, but back then I thought I would at least get up to 3.0. My GPA is 2.75 even after my post bacc. After fall semester (I'm going to retake courses for AACOMAS gade replacement) it'll be at 2.85, but AMCAS doesn't allow grade updates.

CNUCOM
Tulane
NYMC
Albany
Drexel
Gtown
GWU
U Miami
BU
Duke
Columbia
UCSF
Case
Vandy
Rosy Franklin

summergirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 511 on the MCAT : 129 123 132 127.

Mixed feelings honestly.
I don't know, with being an URM, you might get an II at your state schools if you are very very lucky, and hopefully you are not from Cali. Although I'd apply to a heck ton of DO schools if I were you.

PatchAdams25

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 511 on the MCAT : 129 123 132 127.

Mixed feelings honestly.

Your score is not bad at all (overall is around where you want to be) Congrats at killin bio, that will draw some attention. The 123 will be looked at negatively, but a good amount of schools look at applications holistically especially with the new MCAT.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any other MD schools I should add on to my list up there? I'm mainly looking for low tier MD schools since my cumulative GPA isn't good but my post bacc is.

Necr0sis713

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I invoke the mods to smite this thread into nothingness! Please ;) I posted another in the WAMC forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk