Is MD impossible with a 124 CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecatsmin

Reaction score
I'm a white florida resident, and I recently got my mcat score (514) but a 124 on the dreaded cars section. I couldn't care less about going to a top school, but I'd ideally want to go to an MD school. Is it just a dream now?

The rest of my app I consider okay-ish. 500+ hours clinical volunteer (a lot with the underserved), 200+ nonclinical (underserved too), ~1000hours research (no pub to show for it tho :/), ~50 shadowing (only in 1 specialty tho), and 4.00 gpa.

MSAR shows that only 2/7 of my state schools have a 124 has 10th percentile. Is it worth applying to the other 5?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will be fine as long as you pick the right schools. Also schools also take the range into account (+- 2). As long as you write a kick A55 personal statement, submit early and answer your secondary inline with their mission you should get a good bit of interviews by applying to 18+ schools.

PS: Assuming your GPA is solid

I'm a white florida resident, and I recently got my mcat score (514) but a 124 on the dreaded cars section. I couldn't care less about going to a top school, but I'd ideally want to go to an MD school. Is it just a dream now?

The rest of my app I consider okay-ish. 500+ hours clinical volunteer (a lot with the underserved), 200+ nonclinical (underserved too), ~1000hours research (no pub to show for it tho :/), ~50 shadowing (only in 1 specialty tho), and 4.00 gpa.

MSAR shows that only 2/7 of my state schools have a 124 has 10th percentile. Is it worth applying to the other 5?
CARS is the MCAT category that gets cut the most slack. A 5124 score is nothing to sneeze at, either.

Just use MSAR carefully.

NOTE: IF you have no love in the app cycle by November, add some DO schools to your list. I normally don't recommend DO to people with MCAT scores of 513 or higher, unless there is a significant CARS defect.

Your chances will be best with your state MD schools.

I got accepted to a MD program with a 123 in CARS, 510 (129/123/129/129) overall. I just choked on test day, but did not feel like retaking even though I knew I could do a lot better on CARS on a retake. As long as the rest of your app is solid, you should be okay

Reactions: 1 user