Is medical school do able?? Need advise...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nanali

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to become a doctor, I know most ppl say that but what I lack is having faith in myself. Some odd reason I am so afraid I will not make it and I will end up wasting my time. Does anyone else feel the same way? I said this b/c right now I just started nursing school and I am having mixed feelings about this. Everyday I keep on telling myself "What am I doing here? I don't want to be a nurse.." :( I am taking the nursing route b/c i want to play it safe. I am scared that if I don't make it into medical school I'll have something stable to fall back on... Many ppl are telling me I am wasting my time b/c I still have to take the pre-req science courses out of the way and by majoring in nursing I will just delay myself. *sigh* I was about to drop nursing before this semester and major in biology, but I told myself i should at least give it a try but I don't feel happy at all for couple of weeks now... Sorry for ranting on so long but I really need some advise.. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

nanali said:
I have always wanted to become a doctor, I know most ppl say that but what I lack is having faith in myself. Some odd reason I am so afraid I will not make it and I will end up wasting my time. Does anyone else feel the same way? I said this b/c right now I just started nursing school and I am having mixed feelings about this. Everyday I keep on telling myself "What am I doing here? I don't want to be a nurse.." :( I am taking the nursing route b/c i want to play it safe. I am scared that if I don't make it into medical school I'll have something stable to fall back on... Many ppl are telling me I am wasting my time b/c I still have to take the pre-req science courses out of the way and by majoring in nursing I will just delay myself. *sigh* I was about to drop nursing before this semester and major in biology, but I told myself i should at least give it a try but I don't feel happy at all for couple of weeks now... Sorry for ranting on so long but I really need some advise.. Thanks
I think you should be trying to do what you want to do. You may be wasting your time doing all of this nursing stuff when you really want to be on the pathway of becoming a doctor.

I didn't have much confidence or faith in myself until I got my acceptance letter, but you know what? It made me work that much harder. Sure Organic and Physics and some of those pre-med classes were really scary and I thought I'd never pass, but the fear just made me want to work so hard and I ended up with A's.

You can do it!

"Fear is worth more to a man than good advice." E.E. Howe

If you don't want to be a nurse, don't be in nursing school. You can always get a nursing degree after getting your bachelors if the med school thing falls through. There are programs for non-nurse masters in nursing. Or you could be a PT, genetic counselor, PA, or something else in the health care profession. Don't limit yourself to a career you don't want out of fear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't falter, hold your tank up high... be bout it bout it.. if that makes sense. but seriously, u don't want to question urself for the rest of your life. gotta be true to urself. so what if u don't make it through? u tried, and honestly, u'll know for sure that it wasn't for you.... but think about it this way. u go through, do well. and become the best damn doc ever. then u get a HOLLA~ from me. and SDN :thumbs:

nanali said:

While I don't start until August, I anticipate medical school being much like UG, Grad school, or work.

It's not always the brightest people that excel, it's those that commit themselves to work hard toward their endeavors.

If you're willing to work there's very little that can stop you. Good luck!

I think it really depends on how far you are from graduating. If you will be done with nursing in under a year but still have several years to go on your pre-reqs then why not finish, get hospital experience while making a decent living while you finish your pre-reqs. If the time is equal each way then you really need to sit down and decide what you want to do. Accomplishments don't usually come from sheer ability, they come from resolve. You can be a nurse OR you can be a doctor OR you could do one then the other. It comes down to how bad you want it. Put away your fear and DECIDE! If you want it bad enought you CAN do it, but you have to strive for it, not hope for it and work scared. If you want it, put everything into it and you'll get there. Just my 2¢

If you really want to be physician then go for it. Hundreds of thousands of other people have done it and you can too. Getting into med school and doing well in med school has alot to do with drive and will power (and a photographic memory).

Good luck.

i feel the same way. now i'm in pharmacy school and i'm wondering why am i hear? i'm too worried i wont make it into med school....but then I thought to myself...i made it into pharmD school, then why not med? sure pharm school isn't as competitive but stil....

i'm so confused.

hey, I was in a similar situation as you. I didn't have much faith in myself and was too intimidated to take the mcat. So, even though I'd taken all pre-reqs for med school, and done well in them, I decided to enroll in a nursing program after graduating from undergrad.

Let me tell you, this was such a BIG mistake for me (although I learned from it) because I hated the nursing classes so much I got poor grades. I decided that I really wanted to be a physician, and dropped out, took the mcat and now after doing research for a few years, I'll be starting med school in the fall. What was so stupid about nursing school for me is that I actually lowered my gpa (and its pretty hard answering questions during med school inteviews about how you think you can do well in med school, when you have a C in nursing school...). Honestly, I'm so glad I didn't continue. So I'd say, go for your dream...if you really don't like nursing school, its not worth it....
So, for me I've taken the long road, which has been okay, but it would have been different if I had had more confidence in myself all along... so go for it!!!

What are you scared about? The prerequisite isn't tough. Study.

Thank you for all your replies and encouragement, I really needed that. *sigh* to answer the question why am I scared? Well... that is a very good question, my biology teacher asked me the same question and I didn't have an answer to that. I told her I know a person that did it and he said it was hard and i also knew other ppl.. and she told me "why am I talking about other ppl, why not have faith in myself?" I was really blown away, I guess I have always been one of those ppl who always try to play it safe and so i decided to go with nursing for my BSN and if medical school don't go thru I'll have something to fall back on. At that time i thought my idea was really good. i was supposed to start nursing school last semester but I had some personal problem and declined them. I had a semester off and so i decided to take biology for fun and to my surprise, i really enjoyed it and made an A in the class. From last semester till now I've been having a gut feeling that I have made a mistake but I have finished all my pre-reqs for nursing and so i stuck with it. And now I hate it.. i don't know, I mean I just started school but i don't feel like I belong there.. =( but if I don't major in nursing i don't know what I would like to major in. After taking bio 1 i really enjoyed it and also like microbiology for nursing... If you guys are in my shoes would you just drop nursing school altogether or continue it? Also, does it matter if you take a science course in the summer or regular semester? I am hoping to take bio 2 and chem 2 in the summer. Thank you again!!

In life your going to face much harder things than getting into medical school. Do it, don't do it who cares--find your bliss and follow it.

If I were in your shoe, I would drop nursing. D@mn, you already said you don't like it. Drop it like a rock. So what if you are close to finish. F|_|ck it.

nanali said:

I used to be in a similar place as you are right now. Except that I was majoring in Business. At that time I was thinking that it would help me either way; whether I got in med-school or not. I kept thinking that it would help me know how to run my practice better if I got into med school, and I thought it would give me something to fall back on if I didn't get in. I took one semester of business classes and changed my major really quick. I hated business class, it was boring and I didn't care anymore if it would help me if I got in, and I certainly knew that I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life if I didn't go into medicine (I don't care if business could make me a CEO and bring in the $$$, I just would not want to do it). So I changed my major to Biology.

Major in something that you enjoy. If you like nursing stay with that, but if you don't like it then choose something else. If you like biology more than nursing, then major in biology. I found that my bio classes were much more interesting and I don't mind studying for those classes. But definatly don't choose nursing if you don't like it, even if it can provide a stable job. Don't do something you hate doing.

Everyone sometimes has a little lack of faith, you just have to try to ignore that feeling and say to yourself "I CAN do this!" Don't let it stop you from doing something you really want to do. You can do anything you put your mind to.

I understand what that scared feeling is like. Sometimes the thought that I could be a doctor in the not too distant future scares me...I'm not really sure why though. Maybe its the thought that I have grown up and will be even more grown up then. Maybe its just the excitement or anticipation of medical school and becoming a doctor. That and college has gone by quickly for me. I don't know if you have that same kind of scared feeling, but after a while you start to understand it some.

Good luck to whatever you choose, if you put you best efforts forward you should do great. :)

As Admiral Grace Murray Hopper once said, "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

is med school doable? sure it is, thousands of people have done it. so why not you?