Is medical school worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCAT is easy

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to medical schools with a good GPA and a 36 on the MCAT.

I always assumed that medical school was so difficult, because the payoff was so rewarding. I don't mean money, I just mean that you will grow and be challenged, and that kind of thing. I am beginning to wonder if any human institution can really do that for you.

I know I CAN do this, and always do better than my peers, and it's easy for me. I also wonder if the truly smart people are off doing something else, and I am getting stuck in a program with a bunch of try-hards who want to make their parents happy.

-I notice that all my peers who made it to this point have some pretty unique personality traits. They all seem to be very...meek and unopinionated. For all the touchy-feely bull**** they preach, many of them have values that are precisely opposite. The politically correct tone of medical schools bothers me, too. The University of Oregon has a page on their web site that says minority applicants are preferred. On the same page, it states that they do not make decisions based on race, religion, etc. My brain cannot deal with outright bull**** very well. I would rather do something useful about a problem than be filled with ineffectual liberal guilt. FYI, I am a member of the Green party, so don't think I am some right-wing nut ranting.

-I am convinced that the secondary applications exist only to deter people from applying. Those who can put up with the irrelevant bull**** that is the essays get to move on to the next phase. So is this a test of ability, intelligence, and real learning, or is the whole process a contest to see how much irrelevant bull**** you can put up with? Is this about learning to be a strong person or is it a contest to see who can go without sleep the longest? In other words, is the challenge something you learn and benefit from, ir is it just a test to see who is the most stubborn?

-This goes along with point number one. I get the distinct impression that the medical school process is designed to make you willing to accept ****ty conditions. The number one trait medical schools appear to look for, from what I see...is subserviance. Why should I work my ass off so that I can be told what to do by some administrator with a master's degree?

-Medical schools do not make their expectations at all clear. When asked what they look for, the usual answer you get is "Well, we don't really know, we just look at what we get, and want to build a class". Bull****. They know exactly what they want. It's not right for them to be playing those kinds of games when you are dancing around trying to please them, in the most competetive field there is. The MCAT was great, because unlike my undergraduate classes that were taught by incompetent professors, I knew exactly what was expected for the MCAT. At UC Davis, I felt like the challenge was not in learning the material, but rather in compensating for the inability of the instructor to communicate their expectations.

So there you have me. Frustrated, pissed off, because I have a lot of energy and ability that I want to put to good use, but feel like the system I am trying to please is only a hindrance. Medicine feels dehumanizing and emasculating. I am taking the LSAT in the Spring, because I am starting to feel like law is a better career that won't require me to cut my own balls off.

Members don't see this ad.

Go into law.

Don't make me write a mean joke about Davis, you and your 36.

Members don't see this ad :)
yup i agree...with comments like that, medicine is not for the OP

I included the score because I want to make the point that I am pretty sure I can do this, and the whole uncertainty issue is not relevant. Every pre-med I know just takes whatever they get, because they are so worried about getting in.

If medical school is a worthwhile challenge, the work involved is irrelevant. If it is a dehumanizing endurance test between people of moderate inteliigence, I don't really need to prove myself in that arena.

your name alone makes you sound arrogant

That's because I am arrogant. So what? :D

What is OP? Ocean Pacific?

hmm, yeah, no offense, but you have the attitude of a lawyer. dont get me wrong, there are tons of dr's out there who arent exactly angels. but, first of all, the reason why i looked forward to going to a medical school was so that i could have classmates and lab partners that actually knew what they were doing. if you get a good class then you probably wont be surrounded by people that... never get it. second and most importantly, medicine is a field that attracts highly ambitious, status hungry people. what do you expect? you have to be willing to put down your pride and even look at your own faults in order to get through this process. and if you get into medical school, you have to be strong enough to go through all of the stuff that you refer to as bull feces and still hold onto what you believe.

MCAT is easy said:
I included the score because I want to make the point that I am pretty sure I can do this, and the whole uncertainty issue is not relevant. Every pre-med I know just takes whatever they get, because they are so worried about getting in.

If medical school is a worthwhile challenge, the work involved is irrelevant. If it is a dehumanizing endurance test between people of moderate inteliigence, I don't really need to prove myself in that arena.
:laugh: I actually think he's funny. Trolls these days aren't that original :thumbup: :laugh:

MCAT is easy said:
That's because I am arrogant. So what? :D

What is OP? Ocean Pacific?

generally i'm turned off by arrogant people

OP=original poster or original post

MCAT is easy said:
-I notice that all my peers who made it to this point have some pretty unique personality traits. They all seem to be very...meek and unopinionated.

The most confident, outspoken, opinionated people I know are in my med school class. I was very surprised at how cool most of the people in my class are.

That's good, because I wan't trying to get in your pants.

But seriously.

I think it's the touchy-feely stuff that really kills me. If I keep in mind that yeah, it is a competetive cut throat environment, I am okay.

What bothers me is the attitude that I am supposed to feel bad about things without making any effective improvements. Volunteer work was such a waste of time. Nobody ever needed our help, what they needed was money and legislation. You would be better off just getting your degree and donating money to a shelter than hanging out there four hours a week.

MCAT is easy said:

Going to med school shouldn't just be about the challenge overcome to get it and the work required to get through. If medicine is what you want, the application process is irrelevant.

Members don't see this ad :)
bewitched1081 said:
hmm, yeah, no offense, but you have the attitude of a lawyer. dont get me wrong, there are tons of dr's out there who arent exactly angels. but, first of all, the reason why i looked forward to going to a medical school was so that i could have classmates and lab partners that actually knew what they were doing. if you get a good class then you probably wont be surrounded by people that... never get it. second and most importantly, medicine is a field that attracts highly ambitious, status hungry people. what do you expect? you have to be willing to put down your pride and even look at your own faults in order to get through this process. and if you get into medical school, you have to be strong enough to go through all of the stuff that you refer to as bull feces and still hold onto what you believe.

great post. however not all lawyers are bad, my parents are both lawyers and my brother is in law school and they are the kindest most honest and sincere people you'll ever meet.

and not all pre-meds are status hungry; some geniunely care about helping people and enjoy the challenge and want nothing in return

oh and by the way, i believe that the only challenge law might hold as a career is being the most adept at getting through loopholes. plus, you still have the same pressure from everyone to be something that youre not. at least in medicine, you can do research and "advance" the field.

psycho dr: i know that not all lawyers and pre-meds are the same; im just trying to show the op that law and medicine arent much different in terms of what he was talking about.

MCAT is easy said:
That's good, because I wan't trying to get in your pants.

But seriously.

I think it's the touchy-feely stuff that really kills me. If I keep in mind that yeah, it is a competetive cut throat environment, I am okay.

What bothers me is the attitude that I am supposed to feel bad about things without making any effective improvements. Volunteer work was such a waste of time. Nobody ever needed our help, what they needed was money and legislation. You would be better off just getting your degree and donating money to a shelter than hanging out there four hours a week.

maybe you should skip medicine and law and go into politics

Um, I don't wanna rain on any parades, but a good score on the MCAT (way to go) def. does not mean that you are ready for med school. Your whole attitude seems very bitter, arrogant, and it also seems as if your motivations are entirely wrong. Getting into med school isn't an "endurance test" though it may seem like it at times, but just another step into a career that you should be (!) passionate about. Yes, the rigamarole adcoms put us through is annoying, but any graduate admissions program is gonna be like that. If you want to be an educated individual, you need to have the maturity and grace to go through the process with an open mind and always remind yourself why you're doing it. That is, if the person really wants to be a doctor. Which I'm thinking, in this case, not. And I hope I just didn't feed a troll. ::sigh::

edit: Oh, and putting down your professors is really respectful. You realize you'll have to deal with those in med school too. Or if you want to teach yourself the curriculum.....:rolleyes:

Oh, and putting down your professors is really respectful.
No it isn't. I have no respect for some professors. Just remember, at your age, these guys were just getting pHD's. Think about the PHD students you know right now. Most of the ones I know are stoned out of their gourds.

At least law is sincere. I have such a strong feeling of insincerity and pretend liberal values from the med schools.

Of course, I am in the UC system, and I also had a really lousy advisor. She tried to get me to go osteopathic, which I had no interest in. After a while, I realized she was trying to change the status quo, and did not want to help another white male become a doc. If you know UC Davis, you'll understand the attitude.

In any case, it feels good to vent and have these issues acknowleged, since no one in the real world will ever admit it.

morganlefay said:
Um, I don't wanna rain on any parades, but a good score on the MCAT (way to go) def. does not mean that you are ready for med school. Your whole attitude seems very bitter, arrogant, and it also seems as if your motivations are entirely wrong. Getting into med school isn't an "endurance test" though it may seem like it at times, but just another step into a career that you should be (!) passionate about. Yes, the rigamarole adcoms put us through is annoying, but any graduate admissions program is gonna be like that. If you want to be an educated individual, you need to have the maturity and grace to go through the process with an open mind and always remind yourself why you're doing it. That is, if the person really wants to be a doctor. Which I'm thinking, in this case, not. And I hope I just didn't feed a troll. ::sigh::

edit: Oh, and putting down your professors is really respectful. You realize you'll have to deal with those in med school too. Or if you want to teach yourself the curriculum.....:rolleyes:

Yeah and what do you think your MCAT score says about your readiness for medical school? :rolleyes:

Law? Sincere? *cough wheeze choke* I have nothing against an honest, genuine lawyer who wants to make a positive difference, but I think all in all, there are many more sincere doctors than there are sincere lawyers. I realize that's a massive generalization, but saying "at least law is sincere", is a completely irrelevant argument. I have a good friend who is joining me in the application process this year, yet she is applying to law school. She is the most honest, caring, and genuine future lawyer I have ever met. But I won't even get started on listing all the horrible things she's heard from practicing lawyers, and even pre-law and law students, regarding their motivations and intent. Take that for what it's worth.

I don't know what you're complaining about. You're obviously a future CT surgeon. :D

I'll try to make some counter-points, just because I like to argue. Sometimes I argue without even believing in what I'm arguing. Maybe I should be a lawyer. Half this is anecdotal, but bear with me.

Seriously, though:

1. MOST medicine is very repetative once you understand what's going on. It's challenging, but it's not purely academic. There are much more challenging things one could do, honestly. The reason to go into medicine is because you love the nature of the work. There are people that are born to prescribe antibiotics all day, or remove cataracts all day, or implant cochlear implants, etc. Some of the most brilliant students in the world go into medicine, but let's not kid ourselves: The absolute smartest should probably be doing research. The needs of the many outweight the needs of the few. Cure millions through the lab rather than hundreds in the clinic. Plus you don't have to talk to unsavory folks, deal with malpractice insurance, and fill out paperwork all day.

2. Regarding the personality characteristics of students: The fact is, all doctors have to treat huge numbers of patients that have horrible personal habits. You get it all: criminals, drug addicts, depressives, everything. You can't just go around treating these patients like sh1t. You have to grin and bear it, you have to swallow your own beliefs, accept and treat them. Being apparently meek and unopinionated is ideal to accepting people you normally really wouldn't want to accept.

3. Medical schools put every possible hurdle they can think of in front of you. The logic is that he who wants to go to their school most will be the one who is willing to put up with the most crap. I can't blame them. They want their students to be enthused about their program - whether it's because they really like it or because of the overjustification effect. Same end product - happy, hard working students.

3. Many medical schools - ESPECIALLY state medical schools - have a very specific function, and it's not to train physicians. Their agenda is to solve "public health" problems. Right now, lack of physicians in specialties and locations that, frankly, DO have horrible conditions is a problem - THEIR problem. So they're going to artificially select for those who they think will do the crappy job - and be happy about it.

When they say they don't know what they're looking for, they are usually lying. They have a specific mission that is hard to guage from the outside. Some state schools have gone so far as to explicitly state that they want to train RURAL FAMILY PRACTICE PHYSICIANS. Others pretty much insist on training medical scientists. You get the idea.

Yeah and what do you think your MCAT score says about your readiness for medical school?
Are you talking to me?

I do like gunners. It's nice to have peers.

Yeah, obviously, this is from the POV of a gunner, and I would appreciate comments from other gunners, unless you are just gunning for me.

MCAT is easy said:
No it isn't. I have no respect for some professors. Just remember, at your age, these guys were just getting pHD's. Think about the PHD students you know right now. Most of the ones I know are stoned out of their gourds.

At least law is sincere. I have such a strong feeling of insincerity and pretend liberal values from the med schools.

Of course, I am in the UC system, and I also had a really lousy advisor. She tried to get me to go osteopathic, which I had no interest in. After a while, I realized she was trying to change the status quo, and did not want to help another white male become a doc. If you know UC Davis, you'll understand the attitude.

In any case, it feels good to vent and have these issues acknowleged, since no one in the real world will ever admit it.

That's called sarcasm. Of course putting down your profs isn't respectful. :cool:

I am being facetious. Don't **** with anyone who got a 13 on verbal. :D

BTW, I am most attracted to ER or surgery, because I like the fast-paced case-based nature of it. I am also attracted to hot nurses.

MCAT is easy said:

I actually agree with your overall outlook. Go into medicine, law or politics... there really is not that big a degree of difference between the people that go into them. People bull**** all over this site, most of my friends at Duke were prelaw, while I took nothing but science classes... usually the only difference between the two was that one group was better at public speaking and the other was better at science. Thats pretty much the only difference... and even that is a vast generalization.

"I would rather do something useful about a problem than be filled with ineffectual liberal guilt." ~MCAT is easy

I think this entire process is very dishonest. Medical schools do not want to say, you need to shadow for 200 hours, volunteer for 300 hours, have a 3.5+ gpa and a 30+MCAT b/c they know that they'd be inundated with applicants who do just that. Hence the bull****, the doubletalk and the blatant intentional vaguness. By blurring the lines of what is required/wanted, the in theory weed out many people who are not trully willing to go into mediicne.

I like Peter a lot. Now if he can hold his liquor and fight in a bar, I think we could be good friends.

Peterock said:
Yeah and what do you think your MCAT score says about your readiness for medical school? :rolleyes:

It says, among other things, that I don't need to put up with your crap. Evaluating a person based on a score is shallow and narrow-minded. Besides, you have a reputation on this forum for giving people $hit, and I won't kowtow to it. See you in med school.

MCAT is easy said:
I like Peter a lot. Now if he can hold his liquor and fight in a bar, I think we could be good friends.

I hold my liquor like a sickly 9 year old girl

That's too bad.

Thanks. I can handle competing in a tough environment. I can't handle competing in a feminized, nicey-nicey, insincere, politically correct environment.

Some of that impression may be due to going to school in Northern California. In my experience, "liberal" institutions are anything but.

morganlefay said:
It says, among other things, that I don't need to put up with your crap. Evaluating a person based on a score is shallow and narrow-minded. Besides, you have a reputation on this forum for giving people $hit, and I won't kowtow to it. See you in med school.

I demand kowtowing! Here's a newsflash, go to Wake Forest's website and look up where they take ugrads from (they'll show the stats for North Carolina). The NC ugrad schools are Duke, Wake, UNC, and Davidson... and 6 people from random schools (most likely due to connections/ties to the school). Wake Forest definitely looks at undergraduate rep and they are very numbers conscious. Call Ms. Tise (sp?) and ask her about your chances, at that score and ugrad, you won't be close to an interview. From your mediocre ugrad you'd really need a 3.8+. Go ahead, ask her. She's very frank... and is entirely against this namby-pamby bull**** that many medical schools print for the general public. I'd save my ~130 bucks if I were you, since you probably need a 30+ (which is almost statistically impossible for you to get).

I don't think you have the right to question someone else's dedication anymore than I have the right to question yours. I guess you jsut don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

then go into politics, you seem well suited for it

Seriously, dude. Doctors have to put up with crap from everyone... and smile about it.

Jeez, this thread bugs big time.

I don't give a crap about the OP's problems. Snore. :sleep:

MIE,

I talked to a psychiatrist once (shadowing, though I was tempted to lay on the couch and get some time in), and we had a good long talk about going into medicine.

He asked me, 'who are some of the people you admire most in the world?'

Answer that question. Then become the person you admire. That's how you pick a career.

Depends on whether you are into ER or Law and Order, really. Everyone knows the way to pick a career is to watch NBC until it occurs to you.

Good luck. Nice MCAT. If you go into law please don't sue me. I'll be the guy with the white coat with all the kiddie puke on it.

-asp

To the OP:

What is your motivation? To feel better about yourself? Do you want status? Do you want job security?

I see the medical profession as a service industry... and I'd have to say this is one of the main guiding principles of my medical school. I'm really happy to be here.

That said, there are cut-throat schools that are all about getting their numbers up, and will have people like yourself. You sound like a gunner, and nobody wants a gunner in their class, except for other gunners.

I'd think you'd fit right in in a cut-throat environment. And trust me, once you get to med school, you will be challenged. Even if you've never been challenged by anything before. If you're not challenged, you could always take a bigger bite out of the pie, do research, be active in a couple of student organizations.

I know you're smart enough not to be so damned arogant in a situation where you're not supposed to be tho (interviews, when talking to one of your incompetent professors). Take away the anonynimity of the interenet, and I'd bet you loose a lot of your teeth, especially when faced with people who are 1) more outspoken than yourself, and 2) in a higher position of power.

As for medical schools being vague on their admissions requirements, I don't see anything wrong with that. If I were on an AdCom, I'd take a humble, polite, team player oriented person who got a 29 or 30 over some loner who got a 36. But I'd imagine that some of the schools that want to have a range of admissions from the 35 to 45 MCAT, they'd take the other in a heartbeat.

You sound like my Neurosurgeon.

"After the operation if you have problems, don't see me."

"I hit you on the side of the head with a baseball bat."

He leaning from a corner in his office.

You know what. He did a great job. Solved my problem and I could care less what is his personality. Maybe he was mafia. who knows.

1) more outspoken than yourself
Definitely not.

2) in a higher position of power.
Obviously.

The worthlessness of the undergrad process got to me after a while. I do quite well when I get in that steady "flow" of performace, and I really enjoy it.

My motivation for medicine is pretty much just that I want to do something "useful" rather than just working for some stupid business that is just trying to make money. I mean, if that is your only motivation, why not just go plan a string of bank robberies?

So the takehome message is:
-Don't believe a word of what the med schools tell you.
-Don't worry if you don't identify with all the touchy-feely stuff. It's just a test to see how well you can bull****.

Peterock said:
I demand kowtowing! Here's a newsflash, go to Wake Forest's website and look up where they take ugrads from (they'll show the stats for North Carolina). The NC ugrad schools are Duke, Wake, UNC, and Davidson... and 6 people from random schools (most likely due to connections/ties to the school). Wake Forest definitely looks at undergraduate rep and they are very numbers conscious. Call Ms. Tise (sp?) and ask her about your chances, at that score and ugrad, you won't be close to an interview.

I don't think you have the right to question someone else's dedication anymore than I have the right to question yours. I guess you jsut don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot.

Here's a newsflash for you. Wake is holding my app until my August scores arrive. We'll see about that interview then. Also just so happens I called Wake already, and visited the campus, being that they're my first choice. Even met with the dean. He said my overall app is competitive for their school. BTW, Eckerd has a very good reputation, do some research. And I wasn't questioning anyone's dedication, I don't think the OP mentioned anything about dedication, only stubborness to jump through "hoops".
I believe the only one of the two of us who has put someone down or questioned their dedication is you.

morganlefay said:
Here's a newsflash for you. Wake is holding my app until my August scores arrive. We'll see about that interview then. Also just so happens I called Wake already, and visited the campus, being that they're my first choice. Even met with the dean. He said my overall app is competitive for their school. BTW, Eckerd has a very good reputation, do some research. And I wasn't questioning anyone's dedication, I don't believe that topic has been brought up on this particular thread.

Yeah! I usually think of a school like Eckerd College to be right up there with Harvard for producing high quality applicants! I mean, Harvard's average ugrad gets a 32 on the MCAT while Eckerd's average student gets a 26. I mean, thats almost as good!! Man, the dean met with you... they don't do that for just anyone , you must be special! You ARE very special indeed.

And I'm sure that the dean is very impressed with someone from Florida who goes to Wake Forest for all of 2 days and claims its their "first choice" even though they normally live 500 miles away from the school and know nothing about Bowman Gray or NC in general. Wow... just wow.

I'm sure you've seen the score charts, most people who have your MCAT score do not retake and do that much better. Who do you think they're gonna take, a guy from Harvard with a 3.6/30 or a guy from Eckerd College? I'm not even trying to be mean, just helping you be realistic for a change.

And another thing, the August MCAT score at Wake puts you at a disadvantage b/c they fill their class up early.

morganlefay said:
Here's a newsflash for you. Wake is holding my app until my August scores arrive. We'll see about that interview then. Also just so happens I called Wake already, and visited the campus, being that they're my first choice. Even met with the dean. He said my overall app is competitive for their school. BTW, Eckerd has a very good reputation, do some research. And I wasn't questioning anyone's dedication, I don't think the OP mentioned anything about dedication, only stubborness to jump through "hoops".
I believe the only one of the two of us who has put someone down or questioned their dedication is you.

a reputation requires people to know about the school. you'll be hard pressed to find people who know of eckerd college, even in florida.

MCAT is easy said:
I am applying to medical schools with a good GPA and a 36 on the MCAT.

I always assumed that medical school was so difficult, because the payoff was so rewarding. I don't mean money, I just mean that you will grow and be challenged, and that kind of thing. I am beginning to wonder if any human institution can really do that for you.

I know I CAN do this, and always do better than my peers, and it's easy for me. I also wonder if the truly smart people are off doing something else, and I am getting stuck in a program with a bunch of try-hards who want to make their parents happy.

-I notice that all my peers who made it to this point have some pretty unique personality traits. They all seem to be very...meek and unopinionated. For all the touchy-feely bull**** they preach, many of them have values that are precisely opposite. The politically correct tone of medical schools bothers me, too. The University of Oregon has a page on their web site that says minority applicants are preferred. On the same page, it states that they do not make decisions based on race, religion, etc. My brain cannot deal with outright bull**** very well. I would rather do something useful about a problem than be filled with ineffectual liberal guilt. FYI, I am a member of the Green party, so don't think I am some right-wing nut ranting.

-I am convinced that the secondary applications exist only to deter people from applying. Those who can put up with the irrelevant bull**** that is the essays get to move on to the next phase. So is this a test of ability, intelligence, and real learning, or is the whole process a contest to see how much irrelevant bull**** you can put up with? Is this about learning to be a strong person or is it a contest to see who can go without sleep the longest? In other words, is the challenge something you learn and benefit from, ir is it just a test to see who is the most stubborn?

-This goes along with point number one. I get the distinct impression that the medical school process is designed to make you willing to accept ****ty conditions. The number one trait medical schools appear to look for, from what I see...is subserviance. Why should I work my ass off so that I can be told what to do by some administrator with a master's degree?

-Medical schools do not make their expectations at all clear. When asked what they look for, the usual answer you get is "Well, we don't really know, we just look at what we get, and want to build a class". Bull****. They know exactly what they want. It's not right for them to be playing those kinds of games when you are dancing around trying to please them, in the most competetive field there is. The MCAT was great, because unlike my undergraduate classes that were taught by incompetent professors, I knew exactly what was expected for the MCAT. At UC Davis, I felt like the challenge was not in learning the material, but rather in compensating for the inability of the instructor to communicate their expectations.

So there you have me. Frustrated, pissed off, because I have a lot of energy and ability that I want to put to good use, but feel like the system I am trying to please is only a hindrance. Medicine feels dehumanizing and emasculating. I am taking the LSAT in the Spring, because I am starting to feel like law is a better career that won't require me to cut my own balls off.

get real, you ****ing went to davis for undergrad!!! do you actually think that you will "always be better than your peers"? well why don't you try going to one of the fifty schools in this country where most people are more intelligent and get better grades than you? uc davis.. LOL!!!

judging by your attitude and your mcat score (which by the way is about average for premeds at my school), i can tell that you would be crushed like bug and your balls would be blown off if you went to my school so thank God that you're the king of a small little rural community called davis. and enjoy being MVP of the minor leagues while it lasts cuz it ain't gon last if and when you come to the big leagues boy.

This is why I don't hang out with other pre-meds. They're very obsessive and insecure.

constructor said:
get real, you ****ing went to davis for undergrad!!! do you actually think that you will "always be better than your peers"? well why don't you try going to one of the fifty schools in this country where most people are more intelligent and get better grades than you? uc davis.. LOL!!!

judging by your attitude and your mcat score (which by the way is about average for premeds at my school), i can tell that you would be crushed like bug and your balls would be blown off if you went to my school so thank God that you're the king of a small little rural community called davis. and enjoy being MVP of the minor leagues while it lasts cuz it ain't gon last if and when you come to the big leagues boy.

Man. Don't be such an elitist asshat. :thumbdown:

Peterock said:
Yeah! I usually think of a school like Eckerd College to be right up there with Harvard for producing high quality applicants! I mean, Harvard's average ugrad gets a 32 on the MCAT while Eckerd's average student gets a 26. I mean, thats almost as good!! Man, the dean met with you... they don't do that for just anyone , you must be special! You ARE very special indeed.

And I'm sure that the dean is very impressed with someone from Florida who goes to Wake Forest for all of 2 days and claims its their "first choice" even though they normally live 500 miles away from the school and know nothing about Bowman Gray or NC in general. Wow... just wow.

I'm sure you've seen the score charts, most people who have your MCAT score do not retake and do that much better. Who do you think they're gonna take, a guy from Harvard with a 3.6/30 or a guy from Eckerd College? I'm not even trying to be mean, just helping you be realistic for a change.

And another thing, the August MCAT score at Wake puts you at a disadvantage b/c they fill their class up early.

:laugh: You sure are full of lovely assumptions that mean absolutely nothing. Like I mentioned before, air-filled arrogance and degrading other people is not something I find amusing, nor do I usually put up with. However, in this case, I think it's hilarious because it's 12:30 in the morning, and I am actually replying to this load of bull-hooey. I don't even know what you're trying to get at here, because telling me I'm not getting into Wake is not even slighty relevant to what I've been saying in this thread, and it only succeeds in making you look like an @ss. So by all means, keep it up. Then you won't even need me to tell you that you are. :D

sorry hot lunch, i didn't mean to diss you. i'm just trying to help this guy see some reality.

constructor said:
sorry hot lunch, i didn't mean to diss you. i'm just trying to help this guy see some reality.

got you. sorry for being so crude.

but you're right: the OP needs to get his head out of his ass :laugh:

morganlefay said:
:laugh: You sure are full of lovely assumptions that mean absolutely nothing. Like I mentioned before, air-filled arrogance and degrading other people is not something I find amusing, nor do I usually put up with. However, in this case, I think it's hilarious because it's 12:30 in the morning, and I am actually replying to this load of bull-hooey. I don't even know what you're trying to get at here, because telling me I'm not getting into Wake is not even slighty relevant to what I've been saying in this thread, and it only succeeds in making you look like an @ss. So by all means, keep it up. Then you won't even need me to tell you that you are. :D

Some part of me finds the OP being very realistic. I wish you that recognized that in his post (even if it is admittedly negative) and in your own application situation. I know more about Wake Forest's admissions process than you since I have multiple friends who have attended the school and spent last year talking to Ms/Dr. Tise. I actually asked her if I post bacc'ed at a school around the quality of Eckerd how well I would be expected to do and she said a "4.0 for that caliber of school". So... I hate to break it to you, but without a 30.. if not a little higher, you're nothing to Wake.

You cannot refute ANY of my previous arguments
1) you're not from NC and have at best a shallow knowledge of the school (if you've spent lots of time in NC and wake, lemme know)
2) your ugrad is not competitive for a medical school that openly discriminates against ugrads when selecting students ... + your ave. ugrad gpa for the school only further hurts you

The positive is that you've shown a lot of interest... but... reason #1 makes it shallow and unimportant.

The worst example of the issues I described is UC San Diego (from what I have seen). The school I feel good about attending is Yale.

Man, the people in this thread are drinking a lot of haterade.

The setting: 2 P.M., UC Davis, EVE100 - Evolution.

Not a hard course, but rather one you want to get an A in with minimal effort, so you can save time for biochem.

"MCAT is easy" sits down. A nervous-looking girl sits next to him.

"MCAT is easy" needs no notes. Studying right before a test is a sign of weakness.

And unnecessary.

The nervous-looking girl is scanning her notes, obviously searching for some last tidbit of missing information. Unaware of "MCAT is easy"'s reputation, she turns to him and asks.

"Do you know the term for the second kind of evolution he talked about yesterday."

The class falls silent. A dog is heard barking in the distance. A tumbleweed blows by.

"Are you familiar with the term 'gunner'?"

"See, if you do bad on this test, that makes my score better, and that makes me happy. I WANT you to fail, so at the very best I am only going to give you an intentionally wrong answer."

Do not EVER give up your competitive nature. It is a trick by so-so student to try to weaken you. You must be strong and crush your enemies, like Stalin.
MCAT is easy is online now Report Bad Post Reply With Quote
I'm sure this philosophy fits right in with Yale's system of students helping students. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.