is mental illness a good escuse to quit the journey of becoming a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What may be comforting/reassuring is that the admissions process is so grueling, that if you are able to get through it and matriculate, you should have what it takes both intellectually and emotionally to make it in medical school. I think you should continue to pursue medicine if you are genuinely interested in it. Have a back-up plan, of course, but make sure it's indeed a back-up and not an easy way out.

Agree with Tic on this one. While the admissions process seems grueling while you are in the thick of it, it pales by comparison to what you guys have in store for you ahead. You guys will soon learn you are really at base camp about to start up Everest, not on the peak of some comparable mountain.

If a mental health professional who actually knows and has examined the OP thinks med school is a bad idea for the OP, it probably is. This is someone who actually knows the OP's issues and limitations; just "wanting" to be a physician is never enough on its own. You need the drive plus the capacity/temperment.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't accept this premise. Of course it appears to you guys as if the application process is the toughest part of the game, but ask a new M3 and they'll say gearing up for Step I is the toughest thus far. An M4 will tell you surviving surgery means you can survive anything, and a resident may say nothing will ever top the stress level of your first solo night of intern call. Of course these are just examples that you can agree or disagree with, but the point is it doesn't get any easier. Harder maybe, but none of us will be able to say "the worst is behind me" anytime soon.

Although, the low drop-out rate of med schools should be an indicator that the students selected to go to medicl school are ones who can finish the process.

If a mental health professional who actually knows and has examined the OP thinks med school is a bad idea for the OP, it probably is. This is someone who actually knows the OP's issues and limitations; just "wanting" to be a physician is never enough on its own. You need the drive plus the capacity/temperment.

That may be true. Again, I don't know about the OP's condition and the psychiatrist might have a better idea. I'm just speaking from personal experience. During my early college years, I had a few mental health care professionals frown at my aspirations of becoming a physician. They tended to err on the side of caution, which I understand. However, I eventually learned to overcome my Depression and the experience helped shape my idea of what kind of physician I hope to be: One who treated both mental and physical aspects of a patient's illness equally. Sure, I haven't been through the whole med school experience yet. I'm aware that the extreme stress may create conditions for a re-lapse, but I feel that I'm more emotionally fortified today than I was in my late adolescence. The OP's case may be more severe, but I say he/she has time to see how things go. I agree that the OP needs to be extremely cautious about the decision and keep options open. It's definitely not an ideal situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've read dropkick's offensive posts in several forums and never felt compelled to reply but I have to apologize for this insensitive comment. No one should describe anyone's illness in such a crude fashion, certainly not a doctor-to-be.

Are you quite finished? Tired, Tic, and GujuDoc have prepped the OR for the removal of that stick from your ass.

Tic, go fire up the tractor!

While the admissions process seems grueling while you are in the thick of it, it pales by comparison to what you guys have in store for you ahead.
I'm no whiz kid, but I don't find the application process particularly grueling. You write an essay, customize a resume, do a mass mailing and interview. There's a lot of paperwork, but the only thing I found about it that was particularly stressful is the after-the-fact waiting. The waiting can be really irritating, but I can't really consider the process grueling. Med school, I assume, will be actual work.

I'm no whiz kid, but I don't find the application process particularly grueling. You write an essay, customize a resume, do a mass mailing and interview. There's a lot of paperwork, but the only thing I found about it that was particularly stressful is the after-the-fact waiting. The waiting can be really irritating, but I can't really consider the process grueling. Med school, I assume, will be actual work.
You have to realize that many "traditional" applicants have never done anything approaching a real job and are often in the process of being weaning from their mother's teat at the time they are applying. So of course it's going to be grueling to them.

I think it's percieved as grueling not b/c the actual steps are difficult, but b/c it's so competitive. You can have worked really hard and there's a very real chance that you won't get in, which causes a lot of anxiety.

You have to realize that many "traditional" applicants have never done anything approaching a real job and are often in the process of being weaning from their mother's teat at the time they are applying. So of course it's going to be grueling to them.

I'm hard pressed to find how many "real-world" job application processes require filling out long applications about every grade you've ever gotten, plus multiple introspective essays, plus multiple LOR's, plus an interview. It's usually just cover letter, resume, interview.

I should add that judging by your avatar, you consider this to be quite an anxiety ridden, suicide inducing process. It's ironic that you're posting on a mental health thread. Are you sure you're stable enough for the process? Or do you just think suicide is funny?

I'm hard pressed to find how many "real-world" job application processes require filling out long applications about every grade you've ever gotten, plus multiple introspective essays, plus multiple LOR's, plus an interview. It's usually just cover letter, resume, interview.

I should add that judging by your avatar, you consider this to be quite an anxiety ridden, suicide inducing process. It's ironic that you're posting on a mental health thread. Are you sure you're stable enough for the process? Or do you just think suicide is funny?

:smuggrin: :laugh:

It has more to do with not having to be totally self sufficient and a lack of perspective than the actual process itself.

No, it's called irony and it's directed at the insecure little punks on here who think their lives are over if they don't get into med school.

BTW....depends on the method. :smuggrin:

That may be true. Again, I don't know about the OP's condition and the psychiatrist might have a better idea. I'm just speaking from personal experience. During my early college years, I had a few mental health care professionals frown at my aspirations of becoming a physician. They tended to err on the side of caution, which I understand. However, I eventually learned to overcome my Depression and the experience helped shape my idea of what kind of physician I hope to be: One who treated both mental and physical aspects of a patient's illness equally. Sure, I haven't been through the whole med school experience yet. I'm aware that the extreme stress may create conditions for a re-lapse, but I feel that I'm more emotionally fortified today than I was in my late adolescence. The OP's case may be more severe, but I say he/she has time to see how things go. I agree that the OP needs to be extremely cautious about the decision and keep options open. It's definitely not an ideal situation.

Well put. Situations do change. When I was first diagnosed in 2002, my psychiatrist back then and I would never have dreamed of medical school for me. But over the years, I have become much more stable and mature. I have kept in contact with my psychiatrist after moving away for grad school, and have maintained treatment with another psychiatrist, and they now both are highly supportive of me going to medical school. My PI, who also happens to be a psychiatrist, knows of my condition, and she is writing me a strong LOR.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although, the low drop-out rate of med schools should be an indicator that the students selected to go to medicl school are ones who can finish the process.

True, but the rate of depression, substance abuse and other problems among med students is not as insignificant. You may make it through by virtue of having been accepted, but not everybody makes it through in the same mint condition they started.

And FWIW, about 4.5% of folks in US allo med school leave for various reasons, (and about another 1.5% leave for academic reasons) which is not exactly zero, although it's admittedly pretty good odds.

I'm not saying it cannot be done by someone with mental health issues. I'm just saying that if OP's psychiatrist thinks it's a bad idea, then for him it might be. Not all folks with mental health issues are in the same shoes, and so you shouldn't assume that what might be possible for you is possible for everyone with a disorder.

Okay. I can buy that. Thanks...

You can have worked really hard and there's a very real chance that you won't get in, which causes a lot of anxiety.
Okay, that makes sense. I guess when I hear people talk about how grueling and difficult the process is, I sort of shrug. But I can relate the irritation of not knowing what it will amount to.
I'm hard pressed to find how many "real-world" job application processes require filling out long applications about every grade you've ever gotten, plus multiple introspective essays, plus multiple LOR's, plus an interview.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I just see the process as applying for a whole bunch of jobs. The long application that I filled out for AMCAS is about what it took to develop a good resume. In fact, probably easier, since AMCAS was mostly just data entry. And I had 7 transcripts.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I just see the process as applying for a whole bunch of jobs. The long application that I filled out for AMCAS is about what it took to develop a good resume. In fact, probably easier, since AMCAS was mostly just data entry. And I had 7 transcripts.

Agree with this. The application process is not totally different than the kind of job search a lot of nontrads have done in the past. Lots of high end jobs have applications (some even with essays), all require resumes/CVs, all require interviews, some even make you take a test. The med school application only seems absurdly difficult in part as most of the people doing it have little to compare it to, I suspect. The waiting is a pain, but not really unique.

OP here.

thanks for all of your comments, all of them, because they were honest (at least I hope) and I agree with almost all of you guys

Well, I've done some 'soul searching' if that's what you can call it, talked to a bunch of people in the field, etc, etc, etc. My case isn't necessarily 'severe', but I was just honest with myself and asked, "dude, you really think you can do this?" and the answer I came up with...F*** yeahhhhh.

And unlike most obsessive premeds, if somehow down the road I find something far more stimulating in terms of careers and my interests, then I'd totally drop it and pursue what I really REALLY want...

so even though I'm just a premed, I feel that those who really are not dead set on medicine then do NOT pursue it, do yourself a favor and do something you LOVE...that goes with anything

peace.

Agree with this. The application process is not totally different than the kind of job search a lot of nontrads have done in the past. Lots of high end jobs have applications (some even with essays), all require resumes/CVs, all require interviews, some even make you take a test. The med school application only seems absurdly difficult in part as most of the people doing it have little to compare it to, I suspect. The waiting is a pain, but not really unique.

True, but I found both applying for medical school and applying for jobs to be more stressful than my life right now. Not harder, but more stressful, mainly because I didn't have as much control over the situation as I'd like. With med school, it's all up to me, and I'm in control. If you put in the effort, you'll be rewarded. With applying for anything, you might put in the work and still fail because you're at the mercy of very subjective judgments.

So yeah, school's more work, but my life's settled. It's different but not necessarily worse than applying, imo.

As for the op, I'd definitely suggest getting another opinion about this from an expert. On the bright side, there are lots of people with mental illnesses who get into and succeed in medical school and as doctors. In fact, sdn used to have a poster who had schizoaffective disorder who graduated from medical school and was in residency. On the not so bright side, mental illness contributes to lots of premed and medical school dropouts. Of course, nowhere near the rate that one doctor gave you, but it still happens.

OP-

A second opinion is not likely to be helpful. Something as stresfull as medical school could cause you significant problems. Even a very good psychiatrist is not likely to get to know you well enough during a single visit to say otherwise.

Many (many!) mental health patients of varying functional levels and baseline abilities decide they want to become a psychiatrist. The initial response of many mental health providers is to discourage this desire. This is probably appropriate since much of the time this desire represents some pathalogical response to the psychiatrist-patient power dynamic. Some of the time the gut reaction of the psychiatrist is to deny the patients desire because it makes them uncomfortable. Many psychiatrists have mental health problems themselves and some of those psychiatrists have a particularly difficult time whenever a patient interaction reminds them of their own instability.

If you are able to make an honest self-assessment, and believe you have the intellectual, emotional, and coping skills to go to medical school, I think it is completely appropriate to disregard what this particular psychiatrist is telling you. Many psychiatrists use deception as part of their bag of tricks to manipulate patient behavior. Your psychiatrist clearly falls into this category. Personally, I think this is unethical, but I am just a naive medical student. If I had an unethical psychiatrist, I think I would look for an ethcial one.

As for myself, I have some mental health problems. I am on medication and in therapy. This has made medical school more difficult for me, but not impossible. I find posting on sdn so that I can feel superior to pre-allos to be a very good coping mechanism.
i am deleting

none of us know you. your doctors do. taking our advice over theirs doesn't seem like a good move.

just do really well in the rest of college, and see how things go. if you're more stable, and they think you can do it, then great. if not, you might have a problem then. more than one person who knows you really well says so, and she's an MD too.

having to take off from college isn't a good sign. flexibility is much more limited in medical school. if that keeps happening, i'd tend to agree with your psychiatrist.

keep rockin, and see what the future holds. good luck buddy.

:(

If that Dropkickmurphy dude could make it through the system (including the med skule interviews ) then anyone could sneak through.

With such compassion as demonstrated by Dropkickmurphy. I'd rather bet on the blind, deaf and quadraplegic person to obtain his goals.

Some humor crosses all lines. And in response to a post from someone in pain and seeking guidance, DKM crossed the line.

If that Dropkickmurphy dude could make it through the system (including the med skule interviews ) then anyone could sneak through.

With such compassion as demonstrated by Dropkickmurphy. I'd rather bet on the blind, deaf and quadraplegic person to obtain his goals.

Some humor crosses all lines. And in response to a post from someone in pain and seeking guidance, DKM crossed the line.

I don't think DKM is accepted to med school...

With med school, it's all up to me, and I'm in control. If you put in the effort, you'll be rewarded. With applying for anything, you might put in the work and still fail because you're at the mercy of very subjective judgments.

The latter half of med school is all subjective grading though... And even in the earlier years there are lots of people who don't really get rewarded based on effort -- there are many who are spinning their wheels.

Chalk up another one for #5.

1. You post long diatribes about how great genetic counseling is as a career on premed forums
2. You no speak-uh the good English.
3. If after 3 or more attempts you haven't been able to crack a 26 on the MCAT.
4. If you don't like the sight or smell of blood, vomit, ****, phlegm or urine.
5. If you can't take a ****ing joke
6. If you seriously think you can save the world
7. If you spent more than $300 on any of your ECs and didn't get laid, blown, and/or drunk in the process.
8. If you consider being a lab bitch "research"
9. If you have ever seriously asked "What are my chances?" on SDN
10. There is no #10
11. If you have seriously considered investing in kneepads before approaching a professor for an LOR
12. If you've ever found yourself contemplating climbing a clock tower with a high power rifle because you didn't set the curve in a class (the "They want to see 'gunner'.....I'll show 'em who's a 'gunner'!" attitude)
13. If you've ever turned down sex in order to study
14. If you (or a "friend") have ever been involved in a criminal offense involving any of the following: Colombians, crack pipes, ******, public nudity, driving while drunk, stoned or high on anything other than 'life', stolen cars, interstate transportation of stolen goods, anything that might give the guys from 'Jackass' pause, or an appearance by Chris Hansen.

This thread was played out eight or ten posts down; there's a limited number of viewpoints on this thing:

A. Yes you can do it! Because the world is full of rainbows and puppies!
B. Sorry, can't rule anything out but it's going to be a super tough battle. Trust your psychiatrist, your therapist, your family, and your gut.

That's it. Throw in some anecdotes, some argueing about the nature of the problem, and the return of the OP saying he was going for his dream (and oh wasn't that a shocker), and that's pretty much the ballgame. It's tough to come up with a new spin on the subject, or a humorous one, and DKM managed to do both at the same time. This is not against any SDN rules (although your ad hominem attack against DKM certainly is). If something like this gets your pecker bent out of shape I would suggest not straying too far on the internet.

This thread was played out eight or ten posts down; there's a limited number of viewpoints on this thing:

B. Sorry, can't rule anything out but it's going to be a super tough battle. Trust your psychiatrist, your therapist, your family, and your gut.

That's it. Throw in some anecdotes, some argueing about the nature of the problem, and the return of the OP saying he was going for his dream (and oh wasn't that a shocker), and that's pretty much the ballgame. It's tough to come up with a new spin on the subject, or a humorous one, and DKM managed to do both at the same time. This is not against any SDN rules (although your ad hominem attack against DKM certainly is). If something like this gets your pecker bent out of shape I would suggest not straying too far on the internet.

:thumbup: :laugh:

As future physicians and health care providers, be very aware of the responsibility and implications of advising a patient to diregard medical advise

Point of order: he didn't make an ad hominem attack.

"Ad hominem" is a very specific logical fallacy. It applies when you say, "B/c I think DKM is not sufficiently compassionate, his arguments about mental health are necessarily wrong."

An ad hominem fallacy does not occur everytime someone calls you a buttface.

Furthermore, an "ad hominem attack" is a seperate entity from an "ad hominem." An "AAA" occurs when there is a more malicious comment made with even less relevance to the topic at hand. An "AAA" would have occured if the poster had said, "DKM is a total buttface, therefore his arguments about mental health are wrong."

Sorry, it's Sunday afternoon and I'm feeling like the logic police.

AB

Disclaimer: DKM was used in this example b/c of a) his easily abbreviated screename b) the need for an example and c) his immediate involvement in the debate. Statements about the degree to which DKM is or is not a buttface are not meant to be taken literally.

Well, mental illness seems like as good a reason as any to go into car sales instead of medicine.

Ohh, see, in lieu of tact, compassion, and interpersonal skills, i've heard Adcoms are now letting people in based solely on their excellent taste in music :thumbup:

ps DKM makes me chortle.

:thumbup:

The key question: Would you want the OP standing in the ICU room when Grandma tanks? Or do you just want to rah-rah-rah on SDN?

I think someone should re-name SDN Pre-Allo "The Official You-Can-Do-It! Cheerleader Forums." If you think your mental illness is going to interfere with your medical education/practice, it is.

I am always a bit confused by the whole Mental Illness awareness movement. On the one hand, there seems to be a push to recognize such things as serious health problems just like diabetes, MI, CHF etc (with which I totally agree). But on the other you seem to get the cheerleader crowd which says, "you can do anything!" The way I see it you can't really have it both ways. If you claim a disability, you can't simultaneously claim that it doesn't affect you.

Seriously, what would happen on SDN if someone posted that they were a blind, paraplegic, schizophrenic, narcoleptic dude who needed 10 hours of sleep each night so as not to wig out. I would bet anyone $20 that within 1 hr there would be a "follow your dreams!" post.

hahahaha I understand what you are saying especially when it comes to questionable mental stability. Not trying to offend the poster, but as already stated, patients have to come first. I have known people who have had family members with diseases like bipolar and sometimes when these people decide to go off their meds randomly things happenvery bad things that could endanger the patient. If on an adcom, I don't know if I'd feel safe putting someone who could probably get a lot worse especially when we are talking about schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

I don't know how extreme your case is but talk to residents, interns, actual attendings before you decide.

Also, to the poster I quoted, while I agree with your post, I should point out that one of the 2 Wisconsin schools actually did admit a BLIND person and that person graduated and went on to do a psychiatry residency oddly enough. Like you, I don't know if I'd have felt that it was a wise idea because he'd still need someone to do the things which required sight and wouldn't be able to do rotations all the same as a person with all 5 senses, but nonetheless it happened.

Honey take a stroll over to the residency forums and you'll see that DKM pales in comparison to actual physicians in training in residency. They'll eat you alive if you start getting all wishy washy with them. You know I think DKM just cut through the BS and fluff. I alsobelieve he'll gladly make it through the medical school admissions process.

Secondly, to the poster who said he's promoting suicide, i believe in his sig or somewhere on his profile he mentiions that it he is not encouraging suicide and puts a disclaimer of sorts. If you bothered to read that you'd realize that he is in no way shape or form making fun of real suicidal people just the sickening attitudes of a lot of premeds.

Hey OP, I wanted to reply a couple of days ago and actually had a post typed up, but my cell phone lost reception so I didn't post it (yes I was browsing SDN on my phone, lol).

Anyways, I just wanted to say that if I were you I wouldn't even think about the application process to med school and stuff like that, because you really just need to focus on 2 things:
1) Getting better.
2) Getting your GPA up.

Because no matter what kind of grad school you want to go into, or whatever kind of field you want to go into in general, these two things are going to be helpful/important. So even if you realize a couple years from now that you don't even want to be a doctor, you'll still be better and still have a good GPA for whatever other kinda grad school you want to apply to.

And when you feel up to it, you can start working on the extracurriculars that would help with med school. This doesn't have to be right now either, it'd probably be a good idea to take some time off after college like most med students do anyway, and beef up the extracurrics, finish off the prereqs if you didn't, study for the MCAT, whatever.

So you have anywhere from 2-4 years from now to get your act together, and that's a huge amount of time for a person.

If you get better and pull your GPA up, in 2 years if you ask your therapist again about going to med school, their response would probably be pretty different than what it is now. Right now I'd just focus on getting better and getting grades up, worrying about med school all the time isn't going to help one way or the other, so just focus on the stuff you can do something about right now. The journey to med school is a pretty long journey, so you shouldn't feel like you have to rush yourself.

Anyways, best of luck!

Btw, to the people who think mental illness means you're blacklisted forever...well, if you think they're real illnesses, then you should also consider the fact that they're also treatable and even curable. Plus anyways, from the likes of the pre-meds I've known, I have my doubts about just how many sane med students there can really be, lol.

Also, to the poster I quoted, while I agree with your post, I should point out that one of the 2 Wisconsin schools actually did admit a BLIND person and that person graduated and went on to do a psychiatry residency oddly enough. Like you, I don't know if I'd have felt that it was a wise idea because he'd still need someone to do the things which required sight and wouldn't be able to do rotations all the same as a person with all 5 senses, but nonetheless it happened.

That is just too awesome though...seriously...there's a blind doctor?!!

You missed the part where he said he agreed with that right? Or were you too busy getting up on a soapbox?

The OP is an admitted schizoid and could be one message from the neighbor's dog away from blowing away people in parked cars. How's that for realistic? In no way is someone like that qualified to be responsible for the lives of others- not as a bus driver, pilot, and certainly not as a doctor.

And from the comments you make I can tell that you're super ready to be responsible for the lives of others as its so apparent what a caring individual you are.

To the OP:

I would first, get a second opinion from another psychatrist, just to double check your medicine regimen and make sure that you are as stable as possible.

I would also call up several med schools, preferably someone who has experience with students with disabilities, and ask him for stats. Ie, what % of people with this disorder fail out? If he is allowed, it would also be good to get some names of students with bipolar/schizoaffective disorder, and ask them about their experiences.

I wont say it will be easy, but it could be possible. However, unless you are nearly absolutely stable (ie, no manic episodes where your judgement is impaired), I would advocate against going to med school.

I would also call up several med schools, preferably someone who has experience with students with disabilities, and ask him for stats. Ie, what % of people with this disorder fail out? If he is allowed, it would also be good to get some names of students with bipolar/schizoaffective disorder, and ask them about their experiences.
... and if the school supplies you with a list of their students who have mental disorders, never apply to this school, as they obviously have not consideration for student privacy.

... and if the school supplies you with a list of their students who have mental disorders, never apply to this school, as they obviously have not consideration for student privacy.

Thats true I guess. Still does not mean they cant put you in contact with their counsler, or even some sort of student support group.