is mental illness a good escuse to quit the journey of becoming a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qualityhealth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've posted this on the pre-med thread, and I was wondering if anyone can help me. (i'm not sure about the rules of not being a med student and posting here, or if that is even allowed)

anyhow, I recently met with my therapist and psychiatrist again, (who has told me I have some bipolar with Schizoaffective symptoms, but refuses to label me as having X, because I don’t wholly fit the criteria of a specific disorder(s)) and the impression I got from them when I told them I want to become a physician was, “What the heck are you thinking?! You will not be able to handle the pressures/stress/academia of med school!”. So they pretty much want me to do something “easier” like become a social worker or something else medically related, that doesn’t involve major stress. My psych said she went to Cornell Med, and by the time she graduated half her class was gone from what they started with. I know, (gut feeling) that this is the only thing I want to become, maybe even a psychiatrist since I love it, and men are underrepresented in this field so I could definitely add. I’m not going to let anyone get in the way of my dream,( but I sometimes I have doubts because of them and what others think of me).

I know there are many physicians with mental illness, and I told my psych that, but she still said it would be “too much “ for me (I highly respect her, and love her bc she’s great) but still.

I had to take last semester off because of the illness (I’m a sophmore now, with 3.2 gpa), but now I’m back and ready for action. (I’m expecting a 4.0 , though I’m only taking 7 credits only for this semester) Anyhow, I need you guys to be HONEST (even brutal if you have to be, I really need the truth) if I’m being ‘hard headed’ about even thinking med school and the future after that is something within my reach ?

Also, for those that have/had to live with this day to day, and have made it to med school, or are already physicians, what are your pointers in beating all the odds? Was mental illness way too much to handle in med school, that you wish you quit and not even started this track? How do you deal with all the negative people around you?How do you study?

Thanks.
Peace.

(sorry in advance if this thread doesn't belong here)

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.