Is mid to late June MCAT too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coramDeo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all!

As the title says, Is mid to late June too late to take the MCAT for the upcoming cycle? I've originally registered to take it May 31st, but the finals have set me off track a bit in my studying schedule. I feel like I could really use the extra couple weeks to a month, but I'm just wondering if that would be too late.

I've seen on here that people usually submit to a throwaway school to get verified, then update their application as soon as they get their MCAT score and apply to the schools on their lists. I'm guessing that would be the smart move for me as well, if the mid-late June MCAT isn't too late. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all!

As the title says, Is mid to late June too late to take the MCAT for the upcoming cycle? I've originally registered to take it May 31st, but the finals have set me off track a bit in my studying schedule. I feel like I could really use the extra couple weeks to a month, but I'm just wondering if that would be too late.

I've seen on here that people usually submit to a throwaway school to get verified, then update their application as soon as they get their MCAT score and apply to the schools on their lists. I'm guessing that would be the smart move for me as well, if the mid-late June MCAT isn't too late. I would love to hear your thoughts!
You’ll be good with that plan.

Hey y'all!

Nope. Next question?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same situation here...I just rescheduled mine to June 15th. We still have to polish my personal statement and everything so I feel like one month is not enough to prepare for the MCAT. Hopefully taking MCAT two weeks later will not be a disadvantage.

Nope. Next question?

Hello Goro!

I am looking to do this as well. Take the MCAT June 5 (Score release = July 7). I would very much appreciate it if you could explain briefly why this wont be a good call.

Have a similar line of questions, Q system typically ends around 6/15. And winter break in December is barely 3 weeks. ? for applicants from Q system, How did you plan for MCAT and what was rational behind it?

Have a similar line of questions, Q system typically ends around 6/15. And winter break in December is barely 3 weeks. ? for applicants from Q system, How did you plan for MCAT and what was rational behind it?

You could either take it late or study for it part-time over a longer period of time. I started studying in September for a May test date and studied 15-20 hours a week. The common concern is "how do you not forget everything??". One word: Anki.

Reactions: 3 users
This is not late. July is not late. Even early August is not late

Hello @Goro , hope this finds you well. Does the above advice still hold - considering the cancellations/ changes to the MCAT?
For instance, if I take my MCAT on July 23rd - score release August 6th - is this okay or I will be at a disadvantage? Thank you!

Hello @Goro , hope this finds you well. Does the above advice still hold - considering the cancellations/ changes to the MCAT?
For instance, if I take my MCAT on July 23rd - score release August 6th - is this okay or I will be at a disadvantage? Thank you!
No, this is fine, even in a normal cycle. Even taking the exam early August will be fine

This is not late. July is not late. Even early August is not late
I do not want to submit my applications to any schools until I have my score back. In that case, I would not even be allowed a secondary until my application is reviewed in August (4) when my score comes out. So would a late July test date make me late in that case? I know some schools are willing to look at applications without a MCAT, but I would rather wait to see my score - does your advice only apply to students who are submitting apps without a mcat? - as other students may submit secondaries without mcat before me

Last edited:
I do not want to submit my applications to any schools until I have my score back. In that case, I would not even be allowed a secondary until my application is reviewed in August (4) when my score comes out. So would a late July test date make me late in that case? I know some schools are willing to look at applications without a MCAT, but I would rather wait to see my score - does your advice only apply to students who are submitting apps without a mcat? - as other students may submit secondaries without mcat before me
Yes, still applies in any case. And if anything, the MD cycle might go longer the year due to the COVID-19 crisis