Is my application now less competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOAO523

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

As of yesterday I have completed and submitted all my secondaries, but my committee letter with all my LORs has not been submitted by my school adviser (apparently there's a line/queue). With each passing day that my committee letter is still not received I get a little more nuts.

My question is: How much less competitive of an applicant do I become as my LORs remain 'not received' between now and say Mid-September? At which point should I email my pre-health adviser saying 'hey, I'm complete on my end, please come through for me'? (I'm reluctant to ruffle their feathers as they are the ones writing my endorsement). Stats: 3.76/511

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,

As of yesterday I have completed and submitted all my secondaries, but my committee letter with all my LORs has not been submitted by my school adviser (apparently there's a line/queue). With each passing day that my committee letter is still not received I get a little more nuts.

My question is: How much less competitive of an applicant do I become as my LORs remain 'not received' between now and say Mid-September? At which point should I email my pre-health adviser saying 'hey, I'm complete on my end, please come through for me'? (I'm reluctant to ruffle their feathers as they are the ones writing my endorsement). Stats: 3.76/511

Thank you!

I emailed my committee as soon as I got my first secondary, and they took care of it. It isn’t going to hurt to send them a reminder, but it will hurt if it takes too long for them to upload it.

Hi everybody,

Thank you!

I'm in the same boat! But my school's committee website explicitly says that contacting them about an individual letter can affect its position in the queue.... :( I would check to make sure that that isn't the case for you first, just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed my committee as soon as I got my first secondary, and they took care of it. It isn’t going to hurt to send them a reminder, but it will hurt if it takes too long for them to upload it.

You're right, I suppose a kindly-worded email shouldn't do too much damage! Thank you for the advice.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same boat! But my school's committee website explicitly says that contacting them about an individual letter can affect its position in the queue.... :( I would check to make sure that that isn't the case for you first, just in case.

This sounds brutal! You would think there's more sensitivity toward knowing that your students are counting on you to get these in ASAP. I understand they need time to personalize the letters and write endorsements. But literally all I want right now is to see that green checkmark on my app. Here's to hoping yours is submitted first thing Monday!

All you committee letter neurotics listen up.
The AMCAS Process assumes that no committee letters will be available prior to beginning of the fall term. This is due the “traditional” idea that you want to have final spring grades included in evaluations. that means evals cant be written until after the end of spring term when most faculty are gone for the summer. Hence many committee letters arrive later in the process. Since committee letters are still required, recommended, or preferred by the vast majority of schools, I suggest you remain Calm, Thoughtful, Focuseed, and Observant, better said as CTFO

**Liam Neeson Voice** I don't know who you are, and I don't know what you want....but I really appreciate this insight!

Reactions: 1 user