Medical Is my degree considered a post bacc ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to a post bacc (Hopkins) a year ago and was denied but granted admission to their regular MS program, which I am thriving in. Note that both me and students, within the post bacc I was not accepted to, take the same classes together (10 total) with the same professors at the same time while both earn the same degree (masters in biotechnology). The only difference is that they would take 3 leadership classes while I will be taking 3 more upper level classes in place of those leadership classes. Additionally they will receive a committee packet and I won't (which is fine).

My question is will I be able to reference my degree as a post bacc on AMCAS like them because our goals are the same (prove to medical schools that we can handle the rigor). Will my efforts/performance be viewed differently despite doing (almost) the same thing?

As far as I know, no it shouldn't make a difference to an admissions file reviewer which master's track you are on if all the tracks have the same core courses and are all reported identically on transcripts.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for that reassurance, it helps a lot. Like many who are in the program, I am hoping to do some grade repair. Will it count towards my BCPM GPA or be counted separately? @Mr.Smile12
You would need to read the AMCAS instructions on GPA calculations. Graduate coursework is often computed as a separate GPA from undergraduate GPA, but I'm not sure if that is also extended to BCPM (I haven't been in allopathic admissions in a while).

Status
Not open for further replies.