Is My Dream Over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What Should I do?

• Total voters

Jackie113

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone , I was hoping I could get some much needed advice. I am an 18 year old biology major who started college a year early. My first semester I wasn't the top student I usually am and ended up with a B- in Bio 1 , B in Pre-calc, and B in Chem Prep. Th next semesters I got a B+ in bio 2 and that summer I got B+ 's in my chem 1 and 2 lectures and A 's in the labs. This semester I took 21credits because I've had some bad advice about graduating early. I've ultimately decided to stay for the full 4 years but its too late. I got A's in my bio classes but a B- in physics1 and C- in Calc1. All the other classes I've taken besides those mentioned are A's. Should I re-comp them all? Or transfer and start all over? Or am I just finished. Thanks everyone! Happy Holidays!

p.s - don't hesitate to be mean and give me a reality check. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It's not over! Work hard in your classes in your upcoming semesters to get your GPA up as high as you can, make sure to get involved in something you're passionate about, demonstrate an interest in medicine and service, and study hard for the MCAT. You'll be fine then!

FYI - transferring is NOT a clean slate. Per AMCAS:

When entering coursework, you must include information and corresponding grades for every course in which you have ever enrolled at any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian post-secondary institution, regardless of whether credit was earned. This includes, but is not limited to withdrawals, repeats, failures, incompletes, and future coursework. Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies must also be included.

That being said, schools love upward trends in grades. If you can improve and keep it consistent, then you'll be golden. MD schools won't accept retakes as replacement, they will only average your two grades. DO schools, on the other hand will replace grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not in the worst position to be honest. You just need to retake Calc 1 as a C- will likely neither satisfy your school's requirement nor satisfy med school's requirement for 1 year of math. Beyond that you just need to really go and take normal classloads, take a few classes that are reputed to be easy at your university, and proceed and get A's in the rest of your prereqs.

Hey everyone , I was hoping I could get some much needed advice. I am an 18 year old biology major who started college a year early. My first semester I wasn't the top student I usually am and ended up with a B- in Bio 1 , B in Pre-calc, and B in Chem Prep. Th next semesters I got a B+ in bio 2 and that summer I got B+ 's in my chem 1 and 2 lectures and A 's in the labs. This semester I took 21credits because I've had some bad advice about graduating early. I've ultimately decided to stay for the full 4 years but its too late. I got A's in my bio classes but a B- in physics1 and C- in Calc1. All the other classes I've taken besides those mentioned are A's. Should I re-comp them all? Or transfer and start all over? Or am I just finished. Thanks everyone! Happy Holidays!

If you're only 18 it can not be too late. Slow down and focus.

Those grades will not keep you out of med school. Like everyone else was saying, an upward GPA trend is always a compensating factor. Also, don't forget about the MCAT, a.k.a. the wildcard for some students

none of the above. Just focus on getting good grades from now on, slow down with taking too many units. It's better to start off slow and increasingly add more things to your plate as you get more comfortable in college:luck:

It's not over! Work hard in your classes in your upcoming semesters to get your GPA up as high as you can, make sure to get involved in something you're passionate about, demonstrate an interest in medicine and service, and study hard for the MCAT. You'll be fine then!

Well I'm in a couple of medical and science clubs and I work and volunteer at my local Cancer Center. Only taking genetics, physics 2, and orgo 1 next semester. Thank you!

Ya i made the big mistake of listening to people and rushing everything. Learned my lesson and def slowing down!

Those grades will not keep you out of med school. Like everyone else was saying, an upward GPA trend is always a compensating factor. Also, don't forget about the MCAT, a.k.a. the wildcard for some students

Since im staying the extra year I wont take my Mcats until 2014, so I have all the time to prepare! :) Thanks so much ! you guys are awesome help to a new member

FYI - transferring is NOT a clean slate. Per AMCAS:

That being said, schools love upward trends in grades. If you can improve and keep it consistent, then you'll be golden. MD schools won't accept retakes as replacement, they will only average your two grades. DO schools, on the other hand will replace grades.

Yikes! I did not know that, might have transfered for no reason.Thank you! I guess it doesn't matter if I stay or not. Unless I go to a bigger school since I'm at a small urban school now. Im worried that staying in this school might also hurt my chances.

Yikes! I did not know that, might have transfered for no reason.Thank you! I guess it doesn't matter if I stay or not. Unless I go to a bigger school since I'm at a small urban school now. Im worried that staying in this school might also hurt my chances.

Yep, no reason to transfer. What is your GPA, above a 3.0, above a 3.5? You will probably be fine if you can stop getting Cs.

The only reason to transfer would be if you were going to consider a PhD program without the MD. They tend to look more at the GPA for your current school rather than the nice layout of all tour coursework like the AMCAS uses. The only other reason to transfer would be research. If you have any interest in research and your current school does not have good opportunities, that would be a good reason to transfer.

Yep, no reason to transfer. What is your GPA, above a 3.0, above a 3.5? You will probably be fine if you can stop getting Cs.

The only reason to transfer would be if you were going to consider a PhD program without the MD. They tend to look more at the GPA for your current school rather than the nice layout of all tour coursework like the AMCAS uses. The only other reason to transfer would be research. If you have any interest in research and your current school does not have good opportunities, that would be a good reason to transfer.

I am currently at a 3.5 but it should go up when the rest of my grades come in. I volunteer, participate in clubs, and my school offers research. Thats definitely a once in a lifetime C. I guess I'll just focus on doing my best and see what happens :)

I am currently at a 3.5 but it should go up when the rest of my grades come in. I volunteer, participate in clubs, and my school offers research. Thats definitely a once in a lifetime C. I guess I'll just focus on doing my best and see what happens :)

Yes, just do your best and you will be fine, no need to transfer or give up.