MD & DO Is my gpa/e.c.s good enough to get into an average MD school? what about medical school in CA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrh125

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I may have asked this before but my gpa got bumped up to a 3.62 (that's my final gpa as i just graduated) and I heard 3.6+ was a sweet spot for admissions. i got my gpa up from a 3.598 something (my university doesn't round) in my last quarter and I'm wondering what sort of mcat score I need to be competitive at the average MD school? im shooting for a 30, is that enough? ideally i'd like a 34 and im studying 7-8 hours a day to try and make that happen. What about D.O schools?

As for my extracurriculars I have a lot of research in different fields (global health, plant biology, environment science, and evolution and ecology. no publications, but i got close), non-profit work (helping research innovative health solutions and food quality/processing techniques to be introduced in Rwanda, india, and indonesia), job experience, and going to have a couple hundred hours of ER/ICU clinical experience.

am i competitive? what mcat score should i pull to be competitive at the avg md school? ideally i'd like to get into uc davis, ucla, or UCSD or some other california med school (california's my home and i love it here) or at least a med school that is known and respected.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA is not bad (mine is around the same) but being from CA sucks. 34 would be a lot better than 30 as well--30 probably won't net you an interview from the UCs. D.O. you are fine (I'll let Goro chime in on that) but a CA MD school is not a high chance unless you're a URM.

However, I think your ECs look pretty good (a pub would make it better!) so that may give you a boost. I think if u got a 32+ you have a shot at UCI or UC Davis. If luck on your side then maybe UCSD or UCLA (prob not but who knows). It's a major crapshoot and no one can really say

If you could pull off a 34 there would be no reason at all to go D.O. I got a 33 (13PS, 9 VR, 11BS) and had a 3.68 when I applied and was just recently accepted at Iowa (my home state). Honestly, even if you could pull a 30 there wouldn't be any reason to apply D.O. because a 3.6 and a 30 MCAT are about the average stats for those who matriculate into allopathic medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you could pull off a 34 there would be no reason at all to go D.O. I got a 33 (13PS, 9 VR, 11BS) and had a 3.68 when I applied and was just recently accepted at Iowa (my home state). Honestly, even if you could pull a 30 there wouldn't be any reason to apply D.O. because a 3.6 and a 30 MCAT are about the average stats for those who matriculate into allopathic medical school.
But not in CA. While OP can still get in with a 30, he will have to apply strategically OOS.

i wouldn't count on CA schools too much. i have a 3.6/3.3 c/s GPA, 35 MCAT, and strong ECs, and i am banking on oos MDs, low-tier MDs, and DOs.

maybe i have confidence issues, but this process can be ruthlessly unpredictable. and CA residence is about the worst thing you can have on your application other than a felony conviction.

good luck to both of us.