Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To whoever is reading, thank you for taking time from your schedule to help me out.

I am a med applicant with a 2.1 uGPA that has been granted a guaranteed interview at a medical school due to its linkage with my grad program. My full stats are as follows:

uGPA: 2.1
gGPA: 3.7
MCATs: 509/508/517 (oldest to newest)

To expand a little more about my stained past, I suffered from severe depression + eating disorder throughout undergrad. I regularly found help through some awesome doctors and psychotherapists but these efforts were moot as I have a semester of Ws due to a hospitalization and have been suspended before my last semester. I continued to struggle until I was finally diagnosed with ADD, which was the root cause of my academic and self-esteem problems all along. Diagnosis allowed me to understand my behavior and I finally found the resources to mitigate the problems I was having. Since then, I've found success in school and I have 1.5 years of good grades and a competitive MCAT score to prove that I am a competent student.

While I am now confident that I have the experience and tools to adapt and succeed in the medical school environment, I am unsure if adcoms would agree as I've already had an enormous slew of rejections before I got this II. It feels like they are simply obligated to interview me because of an agreement between their med and grad schools that cannot be walked back.

Is this a courtesy interview? If it is, is it likely that I can convince them that I am, in fact, a great candidate for their school? How often are these guaranteed interviews simply a disingenuous gesture? I truly want to have the right expectations, even though I know I'm supposed to assume that I'm rejected until I get in.

(I am still rigorously prepping as if it was any other interview and feel good about my interviewing skills)
If you have received an invitation to interview, don't even think it is a courtesy interview. You point out that while you are confident, you aren't sure if adcoms would agree... so here's your chance. Know the interview format and prepare your answers for easily anticipated questions.

The allopathic medicine admissions/AMCAS process is a bit more convoluted to think that at this time any interview is a courtesy interview. No class is guaranteed to be full until the spring when the Choose Your Medical School process begins. With your performance, you control how high a priority you will be for the various schools you interview at (accept, waitlist/alternate, etc.).

Members don't see this ad.

You made huge strides in showing that you can turn things around and academically perform well with your current GPA. As mentioned above, no interview is courtesy and though it is hard to think otherwise given the difficulties you may have encountered in the past, you've grown tremendously and your medical school has recognized that and wants you to become a physician just as much as the one who does not have the story you have. Congrats and best of luck on your interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.