Is My Life Over???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sustudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my first quarter grades and its not looking too good

I got a D in genetics and a B+ for Chem and Chem lab and a B- for Phil.
which is a 2.33 gpa

This was my first quarter since i transferred and my cumulative GPA last year was a 3.5

I've not gotten an A or A- for any science class yet...

Are my chances for Dental School over???? or Do I still have a chance???? I'm a sophomore. Please let me know your opinions if I should start searching for a new career. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

which is a 2.33 gpa

This was my first quarter since i transferred and my cumulative GPA last year was a 3.5

Are my chances for Dental School over???? or Do I still have a chance???? I'm a sophomore. Please let me know your opinions if I should start searching for a new career. Thanks

Most of the time genetics isn't done as a soph. Also, basic chem is always nice as a foundation for genetics.

Make sure you're prepared to take classes.

Your dental career is not over...just stay focused and reevaluate your methods.

I got into dental school with those grades.

My D was in Genetics too. I don't know how your school rolls, but at ours, a lot of people get Ds in genetics here.
Also, in general (in intro science courses) a lot of people get Bs.

Show an upward trend in improvement. Show that you are seriously interested in dentistry, and you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
schools will overlook the bad grade as long as you have other things to conceal it (i.e. good DAT, good overall GPA)

No, your life is not over. Try your best and work hard. Don't stress too much. Don't let dentistry = life. There's always tons of alternative careers that I'm sure you'll be satisfied with.

That said --> Of course, if your objective is to become a dentist, then pursue it.

I had C's in every single dental school pre-req and believe it or not I was able to get interviews and acceptances on my first attempt at applying this year. Don't let low grades keep you from pursuing your dream. Stay confident, because once you lose your confidence (like I did in the beginning) it becomes harder and harder for you to focus and do well in your classes.

My advice to take some of those courses over if you can and try to do better - perseverance counts for more than you think in this game. Lighten your course load if you can. Take additional science courses to boost your science GPA. Good luck :thumbup:

If your gpa is your low side, I have learned that you need something to counter it, e.j. study your ass off for DATs, good prereqs, good extracurrics, SHADOWING, etc

Yes your life is over

which is a 2.33 gpa

No your life is not over...okay so, you are like 20 years old, you still got along way to go... you have more than enough time to improve your GPA and get an excellent DAT....Man look at my situation, I can't even bring up my GPA b/c I got over 200 Semester credits..... Cheer up...

Just Relax Bro, Just Get A's And B's From Now On Til U Grad And U Should Be Fine...it's Still Earlymake Sure U Finish With At Least A 3.4 When U Grad..

I got a 2.3 my first quarter when I was taking Chem and Bio and guess what..... I got into UCLA. I considered my first quarter a wake up call. I busted my ass for the remaining years in college to improve my GPA. I got help and I learned how to study. I got involved in activities like volunteering, research, peer advising, I shadowed dentists and traveled. I don't have straight A's but I feel I'm a well-rounded person. Dental schools don't necessarily want the 4.0 students. They want someone that is good with people and knows they want to be a dentist. If you really want to go to dental school, figure out what you need to do to get there and make it happen. Anything is possible.

It's not over, but you have to start getting some (not all) A's, so make some changes. If you keep getting a 2.3, then there are some other great professions out there.

Move to Texas. That state has that Fresh Start law. You can get a new lease on life. From the very beginning. All you have to do is take some college courses, and your past college record would have zero bearing. Take some classes for four years, get your degree, and apply to a TX dental school. Great stuff, man. Great stuff!!!

Most definetely over.

Move to Texas. That state has that Fresh Start law. You can get a new lease on life. From the very beginning. All you have to do is take some college courses, and your past college record would have zero bearing. Take some classes for four years, get your degree, and apply to a TX dental school. Great stuff, man. Great stuff!!!

....... not sure I would agree with this one. They might only forgive you your first semester.