Is my life over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demayette

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was counting of having As on all my remaining classes so I can bring up my cGPA 3.2 and keep my sGPA to 3.4+. I just got a B+ on one of my classes and I am pretty sure that I will be graduating with a cGPA 3.1+ and sGPA of 3.4+ with a 27P MCAT. Postbacc and SMP are not an option since I am a 34 year-old and I dont wanna spend more time and money in school. Should I even apply for next cycle? I just feel like a 3.2 cGPA is a lot better than a 3.1.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was counting of having As on all my remaining classes so I can bring up my cGPA 3.2 and keep my sGPA to 3.4+. I just got a B+ on one of my classes and I am pretty sure that I will be graduating with a cGPA 3.1+ and sGPA of 3.4+ with a 27P MCAT. Postbacc and SMP are not an option since I am a 34 year-old and I dont wanna spend more time and money in school. Should I even apply for next cycle? I just feel like a 3.2 cGPA is a lot better than a 3.1.

No, your life isn't over.
Yes, you should apply.
I don't think the difference between a B+ and an A is going to decide if you get into med school or not.
If you're applying to get in for next fall, go do your application now. The sooner you get that in, the better... and getting it in early will do much more good for you than getting that A.

It's kind of hard to give advice since we don't have your entire app in front of us, but I'm going to assume you have some good life experiences and extra-curriculars, being a non-trad. By apply for next cycle you mean for the class starting Fall 2012? If that's the case, my advice would be to study for and retake the MCAT and, this time, break into the 30s. A great MCAT will really make up for a low gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your mcat is balanced (i.e. 10, 10, 7 or 10, 8, 9) with decent ECs i think youll be fine getting in somewhere. apply to a shi*-ton of schools

Your MCAT > (slightly though) average for matriculants
Your sGPA > average for matriculant
Your cGPA << average for matriculant

aka

27 > 26.19 MCAT
3.4 > 3.38 sGPA
3.1 << 3.48 cGPA

I think you'd definitely have a decent shot, if you apply to the 14-15 DO schools in the bottom half of the GPA averages.

Go ahead and apply. Don't worry about taking the MCAT again just yet. If you don't get in anywhere this cycle (or next if that's when you're applying) then you can try retaking the test. You should get in somewhere this cycle if you apply broadly enough, though.

DO schools are going to be the way for you to go. You'd be especially lucky to live in one of the few states with a public DO school, but I didn't see a state residency mentioned.

DO schools are going to be the way for you to go. You'd be especially lucky to live in one of the few states with a public DO school, but I didn't see a state residency mentioned.
My state of residency is FL...No public DO school