MD Is my list too ambitious?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicalpug

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted in here once before but I'm trying to finalize my list. Am I screwing myself over? Is this too ambitious? I have a friend advising me to apply to more lower-mid tier schools. What do you guys think?
Edit: I get conflicting feedback on schools like Drexel/Jefferson etc, some say add and some say that yield cutting is a thing. Not sure what to do.
I'm a CA resident with 3.912 cGPA and 3.899 sGPA. 516 MCAT (129/129/129/129)

Schools:
  1. NYU
  2. Boston U
  3. Columbia
  4. NYMC
  5. Georgetown
  6. Harvard
  7. Hofstra
  8. Johns Hopkins
  9. USC
  10. Northwestern
  11. Ohio State
  12. Stony Brook
  13. U of Penn
  14. Stanford
  15. Brown
  16. Tufts
  17. UCD
  18. UCI
  19. UCLA
  20. UCSD
  21. UCSF
  22. U of Cinn
  23. U of Pitt (may delete bc of location)
  24. U of Rochester
  25. Yale
  26. Albert Einstein
  27. Sidney Kimmel
Should I add Drexel?

My experiences:

Research:

• 200 hrs clinical research
  • 600 hrs neuroplasticity lab (manuscript being written - will be author)
Clinical
  • 150 hr volunteering in hospital
  • 60 hrs shadowing (neurology and vascular surgery)
  • 200 hrs of performing at nursing homes, hospitals, and women's shelters with my a cappella group
Non-clinical
  • 90 hrs mentoring middle school students
  • 600 hrs rehearsals with my a cappella group (I am music director)
  • 120 hr doing leadership positions in a scholarship club
Paid work
  • 200 hrs working at Nekter
  • 200 hrs working as chemistry technician intern at biotech company
Hobbies:
  • snowboarding
  • singing
  • piano
  • active (hike, run, yoga, etc).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
lol why would you delete Pitt for location but not Rochester? That city sucks. Both are excellent schools, though.

this list seems good, though I personally would be more comfortable with one or two more middle of the road schools if you can fit them in.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Oh- I didn't mean location as it is in a bad location, I'm just trying to figure out proximity to family back east. But I may keep it. Not sure. Have any recommendations for other middle of the road schools? Does that mean around 514 mcat 3.7 gpa? Or like 516/517 mcat 3.8 gpa? I was thinking of maybe adding SUNY and Temple.

Fine list: I suggest deleting :
  1. Harvard
  2. Yale
  3. Brown
  4. U Penn
Consider adding: Hofstra, U VM, Pitt, Mayo, Vandy, Cornell, Sinai, Duke, Case, U Miami
Hofstra is on there - and I'll likely add Case. Can I ask why you suggest deleting those ^ ? NYU has a higher MCAT median, so I considered deleting it, but Harvard/Yale are higher ranked. Is that the reason? Brown has target stats and takes a good amount of OOS - why delete?

Hofstra is on there - and I'll likely add Case. Can I ask why you suggest deleting those ^ ? NYU has a higher MCAT median, so I considered deleting it, but Harvard/Yale are higher ranked. Is that the reason? Brown has target stats and takes a good amount of OOS - why delete?
Just looked at MSAR...keep Harvard!!!
Brown highly favors their own.

My Gawd! 520 median for NYU!!! When did that happen???
I suggest deleting them. The higher the pole you want to climb, the slipperier it gets.