Is my MCAT going to expire before I even get to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took my MCAT in September 2014 and got 7/12/9. (28) I read the following on MUCOM's website:

"MCAT scores are accepted for up to three years prior to the date of matriculation"

Are most schools the same way? I know a few like BCOM might go longer, but I'm wondering if I'm SOL at a majority of schools if I planned on applying summer 2017 and would honestly not be sure if I could go through it again :S

Members don't see this ad.

I know that some schools accept MCAT scores up to 5 years old, but it can vary from school to school. You should be able to find the info for each school on their admissions site pretty easily.

I took my MCAT in September 2014 and got 7/12/9. (28) I read the following on MUCOM's website:

"MCAT scores are accepted for up to three years prior to the date of matriculation"

Are most schools the same way? I know a few like BCOM might go longer, but I'm wondering if I'm SOL at a majority of schools if I planned on applying summer 2017 and would honestly not be sure if I could go through it again :S
Because of the change in the format of the exam, it'd be safe to assume that having such a period of time between the two will put you at somewhat of a disadvantage (unless you're applying to a particularly non-competitive DO school) but to be fair, no one's going to be able to give you a real answer for this. I imagine you getting in will have to do more with the rest of your application and experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask each school, it's a weird situation with the changed test.

I asked PNWU (the school I have the best shot at) and here was their response:

MCATS must be no more than 3 years old from the START of the cycle that you are applying. So if you apply in June of 2017, your Sept 2014 MCAT will still be valid. If you wait another cycle and don’t apply until June 2018, you would need to retake the MCAT as the 2014 test would be too old. I hope that helps!

Hooray! I'm almost tempted to email every school and make a chart of who would take it since it might not be consistent. Would it be worth the effort?