Is my nocturnist compensation fair?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biglurker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I produced 1150 wRVU working 280 hours in the month of January. I worked a base of 10 night shifts (12 hr each) and I moonlighted the rest as 16 admitter evening shifts (10 hr each). Closed ICU with no rrt/crosscover responsibilities for the base shifts hospital, but open ICU with crosscover/codes/rrt responsibilities with 24hr intensivist consult available at the hospital I moonlight at. (Both hospitals are in the same health system)

I was paid 55500 overall for that month. I am certain the base and moonlighting pay per shift is really good especially for the geographic location ...but I get worked to the bone on most shifts. I am not paid by productivity just flat shift rates.

Is the amount I made per wRVU fair or not? Should I be negotiating for more next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I produced 1150 wRVU working 280 hours in the month of January. I worked a base of 10 night shifts (12 hr each) and I moonlighted the rest as 16 admitter evening shifts (10 hr each). Closed ICU with no rrt/crosscover responsibilities for the base shifts hospital, but open ICU with crosscover/codes/rrt responsibilities with 24hr intensivist consult available at the hospital I moonlight at. (Both hospitals are in the same health system)

I was paid 55500 overall for that month. I am certain the base and moonlighting pay per shift is really good especially for the geographic location ...but I get worked to the bone on most shifts. I am not paid by productivity just flat shift rates.

Is the amount I made per wRVU fair or not? Should I be negotiating for more next year?
280 hrs in one month? You worked yourself to the bone. How to you keep that up?

IM hospitalist AGMA 2015 mean $ per wRVU is 71.85, median is 62.23, you were paid about 49 (although $200 an hour)

They made a lot of money off you last month if their payor mix is anything but medicare/Medicaid

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IM hospitalist AGMA 2015 mean $ per wRVU is 71.85, median is 62.23, you were paid about 49 (although $200 an hour)

They made a lot of money off you last month if their payor mix is anything but medicare/Medicaid
Good way to think about reimbursement. Thanks.

Putting aside the insanity of a 26 day monthly schedule--wrvu as a nocturnist is tricky since you generally bill less than your daytime colleagues but get paid more hourly for the undesirable hours. Your billing is quite high which means you must be admitting about 11 patients on average. Your hourly seems good depending on how much crossover you have and how many admits you are actually doing.

But seriously that schedule is not sustainable. You are working 2 full time physician jobs.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I couldn't tell from your post if you're a salaried employee or whether this was all locums or per diem? I can tell you that at the hospital I'm employed at, with our incentive structure, you would have been paid $68,670 for your shifts with productivity bonus added on. With that said, they paid you a rate of $198/hr which is easily the top 5th percentile in the country.

When you work per diem/locums, there's generally no incentive bonus at all because there's no loyalty. If this is the case, ask yourself if it would make sense for you to sign a contract and negotiate your incentive structure.

what is a fair night rate for a hospitalist in a medium mid western city?