is my PCOM schedule messed up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shan-bot 2000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused: or do they always schedule the first years for only 3 credits?

hmmmmm. I just got my schedual in the mail and it seems a little off to me. It says I'm scheduled for only three credits... the classes are structural prin. of osteo, osteopathic princ. and practice and primary care skills I.

weren't we supposed to have things like anatomy and biochem our first sem.?

Is everyone else's schedule like this, or just mine? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

shan-bot 2000 said:
:confused: or do they always schedule the first years for only 3 credits?

hmmmmm. I just got my schedual in the mail and it seems a little off to me. It says I'm scheduled for only three credits... the classes are structural prin. of osteo, osteopathic princ. and practice and primary care skills I.

weren't we supposed to have things like anatomy and biochem our first sem.?

Is everyone else's schedule like this, or just mine? :confused:

Yeh mine is exactly the same. It was Anatmoy and Histology that I was looking for.

JonnyG said:
Yeh mine is exactly the same. It was Anatmoy and Histology that I was looking for.

SPOM= Structural Principles of Osteopathic Medicine. It is a conglomerate of Gross Anatomy, Histo., Radiology, Embryo., and OMM.

From the course catolog:

DO 100 (SPOM) – Human Gross and Developmental Anatomy – 1st Year Medical
[formerly ANAT100]
-Gross Anatomy Unit
The structure of the human body is studied in a systematic manner using a regional approach. The course consists of lectures and laboratory dissection with faculty instruction and supervision aided by the use of models, the Cathie Collection of human specimens, radiological films, video tapes of human dissection, computer aided instruction and prosections. Emphasis is placed on clinical anatomy.

-Developmental Anatomy Unit
Emphasis is on normal human development and those features of abnormal development that are of clinical importance. The course is integrated with Gross Anatomy and designed to give students an appreciation and understanding of anatomy and related congenital anomalies.

-Radiographic Anatomy Unit
See description for course DO101

-Histology Unit
In the histology laboratory, students will learn to identify cells, tissues and organs through the microscope. Small group case conferences will utilize a clinical case format to underscore the basic science and clinical concepts taught in lecture. Finally, clinical correlations will be presented by physicians.

-Additional Course Integration
Throughout the semester, faculty from the Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM) Department provides short presentations that correlate OMM to the anatomical regions currently under consideration. Additionally, clinical faculty present short films that provide detailed information on relevant physical examinations that integrate with the anatomical region under consideration. Integrated written examinations consist of questions from Gross and Developmental Anatomy, Radiology, OMM and Primary Care Skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
ok kewl!

just wanted to make sure my schedule was a-ok!

shan-bot 2000 said:
ok kewl!

just wanted to make sure my schedule was a-ok!

hopefully you'll feel the same way once you get started :laugh:

kidding... it's very do-able as long as you don't fall too far behind :luck:

I am starting at PCOM-Ga and was wondering the same thing. How can a combo of 4 classes be 1 credit? Seems a little odd.

BMW-

BklynWill said:
hopefully you'll feel the same way once you get started :laugh:

kidding... it's very do-able as long as you don't fall too far behind :luck:

Your PCOM Schedule is not messed up. All PCOM classes are 1 credit. So even though your SPOM course is a combination of 4 different topics, it is only one class. 1 class = 1 credit. Hope this clears it up, and good luck on the start of med school.