1. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    So I try to turn on my PDA today and it won't start up.

I figure the battery is dead so when I get home I plug the charger in and took a look awhile later only to find that part of the screen looks like its melted. If I turn the orientation to portrait I can at least see my applications and it looks like most of the data is ok (I really only have calendar and phone numbers on it so far. Hadn't gotten around to downloading any programs to it).

I didn't drop it that I am aware of, used it yesterday although its been through the airport scanner several times...could that have ruined the screen?

Anyway to fix it, or am I hosed?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When you say "melted," does it look anything like this?

[​IMG]

If so, it's probably a broken display. The metal detectors at the airport shouldn't have affected it, but any excessive pressure or squeezing on the screen (not that unusual if you carry it in a purse or pocket) can cause the glass in the LCD display to crack.

If memory serves, you have a TX, right? Here's how to contact Palm's repair dept.: http://www.palm.com/us/support/contact/repair.html

Unfortunately, broken screens aren't covered under warranty. :(

4. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, that is what is looks like. Shoulda gotten the metal case huh?

Thanks for the links...I"ll check out how much to repair.

5. 16846

16846 Guest

Yeah, your screen is busted. It's probably not worth it to get it repaired, unless it's a really recent model. The only good thing about a busted screen is that there shouldn't be anything that will stop you from syncing it down to your desktop and rescuing all your data that isn't on your memory card (if you are using one)

6. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Does two months old count as "really recent"?:D

I haven't had one of these before so wasn't aware that I needed to be THAT careful with it. Hard lesson learned. I didn't have much data on it, so have already downloaded it to my laptop.

Just when I was getting sort of used to using it instead of my datebook.

7. CmePaddlin

CmePaddlin Deciding the next step...
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Actually, check online. You can somtimes get a replacement LCD for gadgets like that on eBay for like $65+ship, and some of the shops can install it for a nominal fee as well.
    I know they did this with iPods, PSPs, and some PDA models.
    For a $500 cell phone/PDA, its worth looking into.

8. 16846

16846 Guest

In this case, it sounds like it would be worth it to repair it unless you bought a cheapo model.

Being a surgeon you can probably transplant the screen yourself if you order a replacement, it's much simpler than most of the stuff you do everyday.

As far as cases go, I never use anything that isn't steel/titanium or an alloy there of. You would just have to look at the condition of my case to know that the PDA inside never would have survived if it hadn't been metal and designed to keep the PDA from moving inside the case.

9. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    I've got the TX so its not a cheapie model, paid over $300 for it.

I saw the replacement screens advertised, much cheaper than the $149 price Palm wants to repair it (plus shipping), but wasn't sure how easy they were to install. I'm pretty handy if I know what I'm doing...actually helped the cable guy set up my modem when my splitter and RV modulator confused him (he was practically younger than my television)!

I might try that - at least until the IPhone comes out and we see what's wrong with it!:D

10. 16846

16846 Guest

It isn't really that hard to install. There are plenty of free pictorial guides on the net that show how to do it step by step w/ pictures and everything. Plus, if you get it and find out it's too hard to do you could probably find a local nerd to do it for about $50.