is my personality wrong for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehillsspencer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
this is an unusual question.
i absolutely have the grades for med school, and i have been doing well on practice MCATs.
the problem is, i am worried that no one will take me seriously as a doctor. i try my best to act smart, but i have a fun/silly/(ditzy?) personality that i can't seem to turn off. people realize that i'm smart after they get to know me for a while, but not upon first meeting. im also don't "look" like a doctor, if you know what i mean.
are there certain specialties in which i will not be accepted? i dont believe in changing myself to fit a mold. i have ALWAYS wanted to be a dermatologist, not for the money, but because i think it's so interesting.
please, give me honest advice. i just need the truth. i can't change myself, and i know i'm just a fun/crazy person, but also VERY smart underneath.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Get into med school first then worry about residency apps.

That's also Stewart University's mandate. My views come from a very reputable source.

im also don't "look" like a doctor, if you know what i mean.
I don't actually know what you mean. Are you saying you're stunningly attractive with a body to die for or something? The exact opposite? I'm not really sure what doctors look like, I guess. They just look like people to me. The bottom line is you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply to medical school. Just be professional at your interviews, and you'll be fine. I'm assuming that you're still a college student, in which case I think that you're allowed to act ditzy sometimes. You're still young and you'll mature as you grow up. If your heart is in medicine, definitely go for it.

:)

hi all,
i absolutely have the grades for med school, and i have been doing well on practice MCATs.
the problem is, i am worried that no one will take me seriously as a doctor. i try my best to act smart, but i have a fun/silly/(ditzy?) personality that i can't seem to turn off. people realize that i'm smart after they get to know me for a while, but not upon first meeting. im also don't "look" like a doctor, if you know what i mean.
are there certain specialties in which i will not be accepted? i dont believe in changing myself to fit a mold. i have ALWAYS wanted to be a dermatologist, not for the money, but because i think it's so interesting.
please, give me honest advice. i just need the truth. i can't change myself, and i know i'm just a fun/crazy person, but also VERY smart underneath.
thanks

You think pimple popping, skin rashes, and face creams is interesting? Hmmm... seems a bit disingenuous.

There's this specialty called Pediatrics...I hear they're looking for people like you.

There's this specialty called Pediatrics...I hear they're looking for people like you.

And then there's pediatric derm... diaper rash and so much more.

Seriously, I had a very silly/wacky/playful MD in one of my grad classes. Obviously made it through med school, residency & fellowship. Not a common personality type in medicine but not unheard of.

If you are personable and can empathize with people, then you can be a good doctor. I've met my share of quirky doctors. Be confident in who you are and pursue what interests you.

There was a really interesting documentary that ran on NBC for a while about a goofy, silly, personable doctor that seemed to make it through all the true-to-life situations well enough.

I think it was called "Scrubs."

i agree!

it sounds like you have the same personality as my pediatrician! HE IS THE COOLEST DOCTOR IN THE WORLD! lol and I get to keep him until i'm 21! (i'm 18 now)

the medical world needs people like you, not just in pediatrics. patients like knowing that their doctors are "real people" and i'm sure adcoms like to know that applicants are "real students". you say you have the grades and scores for med school, so if your personality really is BUBBLY and FUN and not IMMATURE and JUVENILE, then i say go for it!

I know an amazing anesthesiologist who's also got that joker image with underlying smarts. He was always the best at putting patients at ease before their surgery... plus he was also the best at dodging the wrath of pissed off attendings. I second the previous advice to focus first on getting into med school. Once you're a student, you'll have much more opportunity to explore and find a niche that works for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all,
thanks

Well, let's just say I don't recommend using this as your PS. Unless you have a 45T MCAT and a 4.5 GPA.

Huhhh, what's wrong with fun/silly/ditzy and being a doctor? I really hope not all doctors are the serious/always professional type. That's no fun. Since you're smart you should know when to act professional and when you can be silly.

I totally understand that part about people not realizing your intelligence very quickly. Except instead of that I usually look dumb, not just "not smart". It's frustrating sometimes but I don't know...I'd rather by myself and act the way I want to--unless it's an interview or something--than to sound like a paper when I talk and have people say "ooh smart person". Not that I'm smart. Like the OP is.

I am a complete goofball, and I'm almost 40. As long as you aren't telling fart jokes at your interviews, or putting whoopie cushions on your department head's chairs during residency, you'll be ok.

I keep silly putty in my office, and have made imaginary alcoholic beverages an office tradition. I'm still employed, and I work in one of the most uptight conservative departments in the hospital.

S.

hi all,
thanks

Don't worry, your arrogance will fit you right in...

There was a really interesting documentary that ran on NBC for a while about a goofy, silly, personable doctor that seemed to make it through all the true-to-life situations well enough.

I think it was called "Scrubs."

And yet, not a single person on that show ever was accepted to med school.:rolleyes: Don't believe everything you see on TV. Very few folks in residency hold them out publically as JDs or Elliots. You can joke around your peers, but you hold back on the ditzy stuff.

Lots of personalities succeed in med school. But to do well in the clinical years, folks who evaluate you are going to have to know that you are smart fairly rapidly (and first impressions are huge), or you won't get the great grades you need for derm. So you have a few years to work on being taken seriously, but yes you absolutely will need to present yourself in a way that you are immediately taken seriously.

And being less than serious doesn't go over well when dealing with death, grief, disease, cancer, etc. So you'd better have a game face too.

Huhhh, what's wrong with fun/silly/ditzy and being a doctor? I really hope not all doctors are the serious/always professional type. That's no fun. Since you're smart you should know when to act professional and when you can be silly.

I totally understand that part about people not realizing your intelligence very quickly. Except instead of that I usually look dumb, not just "not smart". It's frustrating sometimes but I don't know...I'd rather by myself and act the way I want to--unless it's an interview or something--than to sound like a paper when I talk and have people say "ooh smart person". Not that I'm smart. Like the OP is.

I agree with the bolded statement. I personally would not want to see a doctor who seemed to be an airhead. It doesn't instill much confidence in a patient to perceive the physician in charge of their health as being "not smart". You should know when it's appropriate and when it's not.

Dude are you good looking??? Can we see a picture of you???