• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

patrickd223

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
I have taken General Biology and he is telling me that I need to go back and take Cellular and Molecular Bio and then one upper. Why the hell doesnt gen bio count?

UCLAkersfan

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have taken General Biology and he is telling me that I need to go back and take Cellular and Molecular Bio and then one upper. Why the hell doesnt gen bio count?

Actually, Cell & Molecular Bio and Biochem are required by manymed shcools these days. For instance, UCI requires two UD bio and two UD biochem and Molecular Bio, which could be LD or UD

Disinence2

Emergency Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For med school, look at the MSAR or the school web page.

I don't know of any schools that require MCB specificaly, but some do require X amount of upper division science.

Is your advisor talking about you graduating, or med school?

They usually are pretty on top of things in terms of telling you what u need to graduate from their college, but its best to go right to the school your applying to, in order to find out what u need to get in.

Your pre-med advisor is probably not ******ed. In fact theres a good chance they are smarter than you.

About the Ads

BellyDancingDoc

Rump Shaker
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Here's a newsflash: the rest of us stopped using the word "******ed" in a derogatory manner at about the same time we stopped letting our mothers dress us in the morning. I'd suggest that you get off the playground and try choosing your words like an adult.

And for the record, I agree with Discience that your premed advisor is probably smarter than you are.

gujuDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]

Where are you planning on applying. As the post below your original post says, there are schools which do require those courses. However, it is NOT all schools. Look on individual school websites and see what they require. Requirements are not same at all schools.

BloodySurgeon

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

#1) Depending on the course description of general biology, it may not be the correct one for med school pre-req.

#2) Most schools specifically require cellular or molecular bio (especially cell bio)

#3) If your not looking in applying only to the bottom med schools upper div. classes may be strongly advised.

#4) Your "******ed."

MedStudentWanna

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2006
Status (Visible)
#2) Most schools specifically require cellular or molecular bio (especially cell bio)

No, they don't. Most schools require General Bio I and II. SOME schools require cellular or molecular bio and many undergrad schools now call General Bio I and/or II Cellular Processes or Intro to Cell Bio or something of the sort. Actual Cell Bio is a 300 level course and most schools do NOT require it.

#4) Your "******ed."

That's "you're," not "your." Don't mess up the contraction when insulting someone with that word. It's just bad form.

mikeinsd

predictably unpredictable
10+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
personally I did not take Cell Bio, I did take molecular biology and biochemistry, which are the only two i remember ever being asked about on an application... (but i think only one school required biochem? maybe?) anyhow i went thru the app process just fine, so there you go...

oh, and at my school cell bio is a 100 level (0-99 = lower division, 100-199 is upperdivision, 200-299 = grad classes, and if 300 were to exist, I would be scared out of my mind to imagine its complexity ;) )

TMP-SMX

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
personally I did not take Cell Bio, I did take molecular biology and biochemistry, which are the only two i remember ever being asked about on an application... (but i think only one school required biochem? maybe?) anyhow i went thru the app process just fine, so there you go...

oh, and at my school cell bio is a 100 level (0-99 = lower division, 100-199 is upperdivision, 200-299 = grad classes, and if 300 were to exist, I would be scared out of my mind to imagine its complexity ;) )

So if you are calling 100 upper division it would be 300 level at another school.

About the Ads

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Americans...

"I'm a pre-med major"

WTF!? Flame me....I don't care.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006

Look, it's school-specific people. Accept it and move on.

Example: I never took Cell & Molec, only General Bio I. Yale accepted my General Bio, my state school informed me I had to take Cell & Molec.

Just look at the f-ing requirements and plan accordingly. It's not hard.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
Americans...

"I'm a pre-med major"

Actually, some American schools offer a pre-med major as well, so don't think that you finally found something that makes Canada special. Because really, there's nothing special about Canada . . .

That being said, I think pre-med is dumb major. All I can picture is all the failed pre-meds who have to go out in the real world and apply for a job. They sit down at the interview.

Interviewer: So what was your major in college?

Interviewee: um . . . actually it was Pre-Medical Studies.

Interviewer: Oh. <long pause> So how did that work out?

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
15+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Actually, some American schools offer a pre-med major as well, so don't think that you finally found something that makes Canada special. Because really, there's nothing special about Canada . . .

My dear, although I thought the rest of your post was funny...I was being SARCASTIC.

"I'm a pre-med major" = I don't know any credible Canadian schools that have pre-med majors. We have degrees in things that you can actually do something with...similar to what you were saying with your interview scenario.

Tired

Fading away
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2006
My dear, although I thought the rest of your post was funny...I was being SARCASTIC.

Rats.

Thought I had another open shot on Canada. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Here's a newsflash: the rest of us stopped using the word "******ed" in a derogatory manner at about the same time we stopped letting our mothers dress us in the morning. I'd suggest that you get off the playground and try choosing your words like an adult.
are you ready to get off your soapbox?

and to the OP, taking gen bio isn't enough for med school. most schools want and expect at least another year of upper level bio like cell bio, biochem, genetics, micro, anatomy, physio, etc.

About the Ads

MattD

Curmudgeon
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2003
www.yellow5.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This issue really seems to have picked up lately. Now, I'm not the PC nazi, far from it, but really people, think about this just a liiiittle bit. If it's ok to use the word ******ed as a derogatory term, what else is ok? Is it ok to use the word gay as derogatory too? How about racial epithets, such as referring to your jerry-rigged contraption as "n--- rigged", "afro-engineered", and I know there's one making fun of southern "rednecks", I just can't remember it right now... Is it ok to talk about someone "jewing" you out of some money in a business transaction? Unfortunately there are many others in common use. Is it all ok? Do you feel insulted, or belittled, or marginalized if they term being used is descriptive of YOU? When you use a term associated with a group of people for the purpose of denigrating someone, you are letting everyone know how you really feel about that group of people as well. Even if you don't think that you have those feelings, and maybe you don't, you're still sending that message. So, show some maturity, have some respect, and find a way to crack on people using adjectives descriptive of the person you're actually talking about :)

You know, I wonder if the term PC nazi is offensive to folks of the aryan nation. hmm. Oh, yeah, I don't care. Some groups deserve denigration :)

Dr.Inviz

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

Hmm, Gen. Bio. sure will teach you all you need for the MCAT ... the Cell/Molec. Bio courses just happen to be there for fun, you know .. no reason at all to consider them. :laugh: :smuggrin:

P

pitupitu

1. Pre-med advisors, like all human beings, make (honest and dishonest) mistakes. Always seek MANY opinions regarding every subject area in which you are not the world champion, an internationally-renowned expert, or a Nobel prize winner yourself.

2. People find it easy to use the term '******ed' in a derogatory manner (and in almost any company) because such an insult is easier to get away with than is a racial- or homophobic slur. Truly ******ed people's intellect usually precludes their understanding of such an insult, and even if they do understand, they are often too physically defenseless and/or easily intimidated to kick the insulter's a$$ anyway.

3. OP, you should take as many Bio courses as you can squeeze into your schedule and kick a$$ in. You might find upper-level bio more enjoyable than general bio, and more importantly, by doing well in more challenging courses, you are more likely to convince the med schools that you are ready for whatever they have to dish out.

P

pitupitu

#3) If your not looking in applying only to the bottom med schools upper div. classes may be strongly advised.

#4) Your "******ed."

Actually, he wrote it twice lol.:smuggrin:

Sorry, I'm bored tonight, and too anxious to sleep. The Texas match is in about 21 hrs, and I'm scared!! :scared:

Cirrus83

Too old for this
10+ Year Member
May 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
You don't have to take molecular/cell bio...I don't know where everyone is getting this "have to take" it from.

However, I have no idea how the gen bio in your school is set up, so if your gen bio doesn't cover that stuff at all, it might make sense that you should take it, unless you want to be completely unprepared for the MCAT (not that it really matters anyway since you'll prep but still).

But if your gen bio already covers it, you just a couple of other higher level bios, and apparently Biochem is preferred (wish I knew this, I never took Biochem).

But, you don't actually HAVE to have any of those, since it's just a recommendation. I never took Biochem, and I still have 2 interviews, lol. Although my interviewer at one did suggest I go ahead and learn basic biochem before med school (and I bought a textbook to do just that).

4paw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
This rhyme sounds kinda like a rap song. :laugh:

The word 'denigration' is also connected to that moral sense of good/bad that's overlayed onto colour and therefore contributes to racist systems of thought. Crazy, eh? Here's a little bit from miriam-webster. Just as a point of interest, not as a slap on the wrist.

Main Entry: den·i·grate
Pronunciation: 'de-ni-"grAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -grat·ed; -grat·ing
Etymology: Latin denigratus, past participle of denigrare, from de- + nigrare to blacken, from nigr-, niger black
1 : to attack the reputation of : DEFAME <denigrate one's opponents>
2 : to deny the importance or validity of : BELITTLE <denigrate their achievements>
- den·i·gra·tion /"de-ni-'grA-sh&n/ noun
- den·i·gra·tive /'de-ni-"grA-tiv/ adjective
- den·i·gra·tor /-"grA-t&r/ noun
- den·i·gra·to·ry /'de-ni-gr&-"tor-E/ adjective

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.