Is my recruiter lying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrossfitMama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone prior Army service that went from reserves to hpsp? I'm currently in the reserves and able to go IRR my recruiter said I was able to keep my Tricare Reserve Select / dental benefits. I have heard differently, but haven't ran into anyone in the same situation. I was hoping to hear experiences. They have compeletly messed up my contract. Signed in august, still no money. Now my unit says i have to go IRR before i can be picked up for commissioning. Even though i have already been commissioned. My wife wants to back out if we lose our benefits and I'll just stay in the reserves

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone prior Army service that went from reserves to hpsp? I'm currently in the reserves and able to go IRR my recruiter said I was able to keep my Tricare Reserve Select / dental benefits. I have heard differently, but haven't ran into anyone in the same situation. I was hoping to hear experiences. They have compeletly messed up my contract. Signed in august, still no money. Now my unit says i have to go IRR before i can be picked up for commissioning. Even though i have already been commissioned. My wife wants to back out if we lose our benefits and I'll just stay in the reserves

Can you clarify a bit as the way it reads is a bit confusing to me.

You say you are currently reserves and able to go IRR, but then you also say you are already commissioned.

My wife wants to back out....good luck with that if you have already commissioned.

So where are you right now, are you already a 2LT in HPSP or not? Medical/dental insurance is a covered expense in HPSP.

my recruiter said I was able to keep my Tricare Reserve Select / dental benefits. I have heard differently, but haven't ran into anyone in the same situation.

Your recruiter is mistaken. You are not eligible for Tricare Reserve Select while in the IRR. You MUST be in the IRR to participate in HPSP.

They have compeletly messed up my contract. Signed in august, still no money. Now my unit says i have to go IRR before i can be picked up for commissioning. Even though i have already been commissioned. My wife wants to back out if we lose our benefits and I'll just stay in the reserves

The 'contract' is pretty much standardized. In the Army it is standardized so that everyone signs the same 10 page Service Agreement - there is no personalized contract based on discipline, wants or desires. That way it can't get "messed up" it's a take it or leave it situation.

If you have not received any benefits you have no obligation and can walk away. It'll take jumping all over the recruiter and probably his boss or even his boss's boss. But if the service that you are applying for has paid as much as one dollar to you or toward your books, equipment, tuition and fees, then you are on the hook and will have to follow the Service directions for resigning your (IRR) commission.

Members don't see this ad :)

You have to be IRR as part of HPSP. Yes you will lose your Tricare/dental benefits once on IRR. For ADT rotations, you are activated and get those benefit for however long the rotation or training (officer basic etc). If you have HPSP you'll have to get on your school's coverage or no coverage if you don't opt for it. It's standard for everyone.

The earlier you learn, the better. The recruiter always lies. I'm sure this is just as true on the officer side as the enlisted side.

Reactions: 1 user
The earlier you learn, the better. The recruiter always lies. I'm sure this is just as true on the officer side as the enlisted side.

Also another good life lesson: don't post as your avatar your cute mugshot, this forum is less anonymous than you think. Of course, this might not be you, you might be as gnarly looking as me, In which case: well played

So true. I catch so much **** when trying to explain this to students interested in the HPSP.

"The recruiter told me that I'll get whatever specialty I want!"

Uh huh.

Wait, HPSP doesnt pay for health insurance or dental while in school??

Wait, HPSP doesnt pay for health insurance or dental while in school??

NO.

You're medical school will likely pay for your medical...but dental is unlikely to be covered. You can try to strategically fit in a dental appointment during your two months during the three months of active duty during medical school...but good luck with that. I had an impacted molar...tried to get it removed while doing my military rotation...couldn't fit it in. I ended up having to eat the money on paying for the procedure.

Health insurance is covered if your school requires it, dental is not covered. As the above poster stated, you can get free dental work done when you are on your 6 week active duty time but it can be difficult to fit that into your schedule. You have to take your active duty orders each year and re-register in DEERS or else when you show up to the dental clinic they will tell you that they don't have your active duty status on file. This happened to me and several of my classmates. Also, the only health insurance you get is specifically what your school offers to cover, which is usually pretty crappy. And as another note, you pay for the health insurance bill and get reimbursed for it, its not like tuition where the Navy directly pays the school. So expect to pay that bill up front if you are going to sign up for it.

For the Army: As long as it is required of all students they reimburse for medical, dental and optical insurance.