Is my research background too unfocused?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charizard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I entered college, I joined a bioinformatics lab because I loved using math/statistics to understand biology. However, after some deliberate thought about what I liked, I decided to major in physics. Despite my major, I decided to stay in my bioinformatics lab because I wanted to get a lot of experience from it and I do thoroughly enjoy it. I finished my freshman year last spring, and I'm currently doing bioinformatics REU. I plan on joining a physics lab this year, too. I really like both physics and bioinformatics.

My question is, can I do an MD-PhD given these two disparate interests (bioinformatics and physics)? Or does it seem too unfocused and unclear? Will MD-PhD programs want to see the relevant coursework to both fields?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the more you can do the better personally. In terms of applications, as long as you can describe the value you got from each place you should be fine.

Not sure if this is helpful, but my master's thesis supervisor actually studied physics. Now he does molecular epi (fun stuff!) and the strong quantitative background (and the fact that he is a genius, I suppose) have been really useful for him.