Is my research lacking for low-mid tier competitiveness?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. 2nd year 50%'ile-ish in my class DO here.

besides a few local volunteer opportunities and a work study on campus, I dont have much to put on my resume that i did during med school thanks to covid (had a nice clinical research position lined up for the summer which got canceled).

unfortunately, i dont feel like i have time to do research until 3rd year b/c of board prep and keeping up with classes (worried about if there will be enough opportunity during 3rd year to get anything useful on my app out of it). I'm gonna try my best to grab something, but for now i just want to do well on boards.

fortunately, I have lots of posters from undergrad and a nice publication (2nd author) in a reputable biochemistry journal that was recently accepted. If worst comes to worst and all I have is this publication and a decent board score, will I be in good shape to get interviews for: low-tier academic IM, neuro, PMR, or psych? What else could I do to beef up my application by the time I have to apply besides what I already mentioned?

Members don't see this ad.