Is my schedule realistic? Opinions on male cna for med school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seahawk4med

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN members,
It's my first time posting in the student doctor network board. I just graduated high school in June of this year, but I took some college classes and entered college in August with 64 credit hours so I am technically a junior. I go to UNC-Wilmington and my original plan was to major in biology and graduate in 2 years since I entered with a pretty decent amount of credits. After being here for 5 months, I have decided to double major in biology and business administration so that I am here for the full four years. I know that might sound absurd to some considering I have to pay for college, but I just love it so much here I don't want to leave after only two years. Let me stop rambling on about myself and get to the question. My current schedule for next semester is business law, international business, general chem 2, A&P I, and a principles of marketing class. That makes a total of 17 credit hours, but I am considering dropping the business law class and adding a CNA class to my schedule at a local community college. That'll bring me down to 14 credit hours at UNCW and a CNA class at the community college that's equal to 6 credit hours. I've actually heard the CNA class is pretty easy. The CNA class will be from 5pm-9pm M,T,W Jan-May and my schedule at UNCW will be Monday 9am-2:50pm, Tue 8am-2pm, Wed 9-11am, Thur 8am-11am +(7pm-8:30pm on CHM test days) , Fri 9-11am. Does this sound like too much of a load? I did 23 credit hours both semesters at a community college while I was in high school, so I am pretty disciplined with time considering I was able to do that on top of a high school class. I also never did school work on the weekend, which I'm hoping I'll be able to continue next semester like last semester. I graduated with my associates degree when I graduated high school. My community college GPA was a 4.0. I'm just trying to give ya'll a better feel of who I am by saying all of this. I do enjoy going out on Friday and Saturday nights and I am not willing to give that up while I'm in my undergrad right now. Are there any CNAs on here, especially male, if so what was your experience like? My mom is an traveling RN and she's trying to talk me out of becoming a CNA. I'm just wondering if the job is really as bad as she's making it out to be. I don't mind hard work; I love learning from it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello SDN members,
It's my first time posting in the student doctor network board. I just graduated high school in June of this year, but I took some college classes and entered college in August with 64 credit hours so I am technically a junior. I go to UNC-Wilmington and my original plan was to major in biology and graduate in 2 years since I entered with a pretty decent amount of credits. After being here for 5 months, I have decided to double major in biology and business administration so that I am here for the full four years. I know that might sound absurd to some considering I have to pay for college, but I just love it so much here I don't want to leave after only two years. Let me stop rambling on about myself and get to the question. My current schedule for next semester is business law, international business, general chem 2, A&P I, and a principles of marketing class. That makes a total of 17 credit hours, but I am considering dropping the business law class and adding a CNA class to my schedule at a local community college. That'll bring me down to 14 credit hours at UNCW and a CNA class at the community college that's equal to 6 credit hours. I've actually heard the CNA class is pretty easy. The CNA class will be from 5pm-9pm M,T,W Jan-May and my schedule at UNCW will be Monday 9am-2:50pm, Tue 8am-2pm, Wed 9-11am, Thur 8am-11am +(7pm-8:30pm on CHM test days) , Fri 9-11am. Does this sound like too much of a load? I did 23 credit hours both semesters at a community college while I was in high school, so I am pretty disciplined with time considering I was able to do that on top of a high school class. I also never did school work on the weekend, which I'm hoping I'll be able to continue next semester like last semester. I graduated with my associates degree when I graduated high school. My community college GPA was a 4.0. I'm just trying to give ya'll a better feel of who I am by saying all of this. I do enjoy going out on Friday and Saturday nights and I am not willing to give that up while I'm in my undergrad right now. Are there any CNAs on here, especially male, if so what was your experience like? My mom is an traveling RN and she's trying to talk me out of becoming a CNA. I'm just wondering if the job is really as bad as she's making it out to be. I don't mind hard work; I love learning from it.
If you like wiping butts than become a CNA. If not, I'd recommend becoming an EMT.

Hey! I worked as a CNA for a summer and it's definitely hard work. But if you work at a place like a nursing home, it tends to be pretty well respected by ADCOMs (or so I've heard). While becoming an CNA isn't very glamorous, it got me VERY comfortable with patients and with body fluids (lol). Plus, you're pretty much dealing with patients most of the time, unlike as an EMT where you spend a lot of time carting patients around.

Though I'm not male, I know that male CNAs are highly sought after, especially at VA hospitals. If you're pretty strong, you'll be fine. The hardest part of the job for me was lifting patients because I'm small and not super strong, but I managed.

I think working as a CNA really teaches you how to work with patients (who often times don't want to be helped), gets you working in the trenches, and can show you some of the not so fun aspects of healthcare. Despite the challenges, it only continued to solidify my decision to become a doctor.

It's tough, but I got a lot out of it. People will try to talk you out of it, but I think people who think they're above it, especially premeds, are in for a reality check when they get to med school. Bowel issues don't just automatically go away once you're a doctor!

Also, my residents really seemed to like having new faces, especially because a lot of my coworkers were pretty jaded. You meet some interesting people too - one of my residents helped to translate Russian space program documents during the Cold War!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Im a male CNA, sophmore in college. Ive been able to maintain a 4.0 gpa while working rougly 16 hours a week. Become a CNA and immediately get a job at a hospital, the pay is higher than nursing homes and the ass wiping is minimal. Growth in hospitals as a CNA are quite nice; you can work as a float aide and make around $18/hr, become a GI/ED/ or cardiacs technicians- and basically perform tasks and roles that most RN's cant even do with pay ranging from $17-22/hr. The CNA course itself is ridiculously easy, you will get hate from your boys, but you will be making alot more money than them.. Goodluck

@seahawk4med

Talk to Dr. Ballard, he's your guy.

I have to agree with the poster above about EMS but new Hanover county is all municipal I believe, which may be hard to work around as a part timer with a full time school schedule.

Alternately, you could consider the phlebotomy program at CFCC. Lots of clinical time and the hospital is always hiring.

Nice to meet a fellow Seahawk!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app