Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is my schedule too much? 2nd yr undegrad.

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by UndergradGuy7, Jun 12, 2008.

1. UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I finished Freshmen year taking General Chem 1 and 2. Finished English courses. Finished Calc 1 and 2 and finished my foreign language requirement. I also took General Biology 1. I also plan on taking General Biology 2 in the summer before sophomore year.

So for Sophomore year in the fall, I have this set up as my schedule does it sound like too much?
    -Physics (non-engineering) + lab (5 credit hours)
    -Genetics (no lab) (3 credits)
    -Organic Chemistry (no lab 4 credits)
    -Sociology (3 credit hours)
    Total 15 credit hours.

For Sophomore year Spring I plan on taking
    -Physics 2 + lab
    -Organic Chem 2 (there is no lab for organic chem 2)
    -Organic chem 1 lab
    -Not sure what else to get up to 15 hours maybe a general ed requirement or maybe microbio/cell bio etc?

I am planning on becoming a Biochem major and applying to DS after the 4 years.

So what I am mainly asking is whether my Sophomore year Fall schedule is too much work? Genetics, o chem, physics, and sociology. Genetics and o chem are going to take a lot of time. I am sure physics will take some studying too and it has a lab.

What did you guys take/recommend me to do? Everyone else I know is taking easy schedules, but then again I don't want to do everything easy like everyone else.

Thanks for any input.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bruinlove

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Looks like a typical schedule for science major undergrad.

4. DCRedskinsRule

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Agreed.

If you want to change schedule for fall a little, swap genetics for a gen-ed and just take genetics another semester. Other than that, to be 100% honest and bluntly frank with you, I've seen (and taken) MUCH worse. You should be fine.

5. mddang

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Your sophomore year looks about average. I say swap physics for biochem, and throw human physiology in there.

Wait.. you need orgo for biochem, don't you.. In any case, if you're a biochem major, start taking those biochem classes as soon as possible.

6. blankguy

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Why are you planning on taking orgo lab after orgo 1?
    Another option is what mddang suggested, take physics another year and replace it with upper level biology courses that way you give yourself the most time to take more biology courses. Although taking orgo with physiology or anatomy is going to be serious amount of studying.

7. MnBr63

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Looks pretty typical. If it were me I'd want to take physics and OChem separately, but I don't know what the rest of the requirements are for you.

8. waitingame

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You can take physics junior year... you dont need it for the DAT

9. Simiam

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would take O chem lab after/with O Chem 2. Also, I would throw some GE classes in there. I don't know what your school is like but I thought it was easiest to avg about 12 credits of science with 6 credits of GE. Our GE courses were easyish though....

I would go talk to your advisor about it because they will have a better idea about the difficulty of each particular class. I would reccommend not falling below 15 credit hours though.

10. UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Max credits is 18. That schedule up there is 15, so I guess I'm good with that. Everyone else I know is a bio major and taking 1 hard class (O Chem) and a bunch of gen eds.

I am taking orgo lab after I finish orgo 1 because everyone said it is easier that way and sometimes the lab talks about stuff you did not cover in class yet.

11. burgler09

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    It doesnt look too bad.. it look like a nice schedule.

12. TheWiredNerv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I'd say swap physics for a physiology course and just take physics junior year.

13. zoom12

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Well I'll be the dissenting opinion and say you could go with a lighter schedule for fall term. If the most you've ever had is one science course and a math course per term, I'd stray from taking 3 science at once (I know math counts as science, but in my experience it was typically less challenging than any 300 science course like genetics, though that could be personal preference). Sure many will argue that in dental school you'll have to juggle 5+ science courses per term, but you're still only an entering sophomore in college with lots of school ahead of you. Getting an A in two science courses at a time is better than getting an A- in three in my opinion. But in the end, it all boils down to what you think you can handle and how self-sufficient you are (i.e. can you learn the DAT material on your own).

Prior to the DAT I had intro bio 1, orgo1/2, calc 4, and physics 1/2 as my only science and I still did well. Also, I finished college taking 13,12,8 credit semesters respectively and still got in where I wanted to. Granted, I also had 18 credit terms with decent grades. Don't be afraid to go slow is all I'm suggesting - college is about more than just studying :).

14. DrReo

DrReo "Thread Necromancer"
    10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    Easy schedule regardless. Super easy if you stay on top of things.

15. UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Update: Looks like I am going to have to add a Genetics lab to the Fall schedule making it 18 hours (max). It seems UIC and some other schools want labs for all science courses.

Will probably have to switch Sociology for Psychology. Sociology interferes with the Genetics lab in my schedule.

#14 UndergradGuy7, Jun 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  16. nogn1225

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I think its a good schedule. I agree you should switch genetics w/ biochem. Last semester, I took Bio 1, Orgo, Phys 2, and a GE class. First I thought I will not do well, but as soon as I got the hang of it, it was actually the best semester!

Good luck!

17. Maygyver

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Pretty much what everyone else says. This is what a science major usually works out to be. That is a lot like what mine was but I added another class to total to 20 hours and the quarter still went very well.

18. SharpayxX

Pre-Dental

If you switch sociology with psychology and then take genetics lab wouldn't that bring you to 19 hours (since psych. is 4 credit hours)?

(I got to UIC too, it's nice to meet another predent. I'll be taking genetics next semester too, but I won't be taking the lab yet):)

19. UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Just checked, you are right it is 4 credits. Guess I will have to find another gen ed to fit.

20. crazy4clana

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Oooh Physics is a b!tch, at least for me it was. Take that junior year most def.

21. Shjfr

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't think your classes are too hard, 15 credit hours and the classes you are taking are pretty standard for what most people are/should be taking...

BUT, I think you are taking the wrong classes for your sophomore year...

I would get rid of Physics for both semesters and move them to Junior year. I would replace this with an Anatomy/Physiology class (if required), and also take a Biochem class. Maybe even add a prob and stats class.

This will prepare you for the DAT, which you should take the summer after your soph. year...

Just my 2 cents.

22. dubbers

dubbers Redshirt Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think it's fine as is. I don't know why everyone is trying to stuff so many bio courses in there... yes you need them for the DAT, but if the OP is planning on entering dental school after his 4th yr, then he/she will take DAT after junior year, giving him/her a whole nother year for DAT-specific courses (physio, biochem, maybe a cell bio, etc). At least for my studying for the DAT, I remembered the most recent stuff (junior year) best.

Best of luck to ya.

23. UndergradGuy7

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Probably last update, but just checked with the UIC College of Dentistry and upper level science courses do not need the labs. Only the pre-reqs need them. Just a FYI.

24. Kkae

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    It's a pretty, like everyone else said, typical schedule. I took 19-21 credits every semester (mostly all sciences). Orgo needs a whole lotta time though, if u can handle it, go for it. I busted my ass with Orgo (Organic Chem.)