Is my school's course scheduling going to screw me over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bookish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a freshman at a small liberal arts college. I am currently taking Gen Chem I and Fundamentals of Bio, along with an honors history class and music ensembles, but that's not important. I was planning on taking Gen Zoology and Gen Chem II next semester. Well, I just found out that my school decided that it needed to have those two classes at exactly the same times, so I cannot take both. I am assuming that I absolutely need to take Chem II next semester so that I can continue with organic. The problem is that the only other biology classes I could take this spring are higher level courses that have other biology courses that I haven't taken as requirements. The only option I am left with is Medical Vocabulary, which is a 2 hour class that my advisor keeps telling me I should take instead of zoology, but I keep thinking she's only telling me that because she teaches it. Is this really going to mess my schedule up for the next year? My school only offers zoology in the spring so I will have to take it in the spring of 2014. Will I be a year behind everyone else in studying for the MCAT? :( My advisor says I could take genetics in the fall of 2013 and zoology in the spring, but is that going to screw me up?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a freshman at a small liberal arts college. I am currently taking Gen Chem I and Fundamentals of Bio, along with an honors history class and music ensembles, but that's not important. I was planning on taking Gen Zoology and Gen Chem II next semester. Well, I just found out that my school decided that it needed to have those two classes at exactly the same times, so I cannot take both. I am assuming that I absolutely need to take Chem II next semester so that I can continue with organic. The problem is that the only other biology classes I could take this spring are higher level courses that have other biology courses that I haven't taken as requirements. The only option I am left with is Medical Vocabulary, which is a 2 hour class that my advisor keeps telling me I should take instead of zoology, but I keep thinking she's only telling me that because she teaches it. Is this really going to mess my schedule up for the next year? My school only offers zoology in the spring so I will have to take it in the spring of 2014. Will I be a year behind everyone else in studying for the MCAT? :( My advisor says I could take genetics in the fall of 2013 and zoology in the spring, but is that going to screw me up?

Nope. I want to reinforce that there is no timeline. It isn't necessary to take zoology your freshman year. In fact, I'm not sure it's even possible, unless it's a lower version of zoology. You want to take your premed reqs first and then your upper division courses later on.

Getting classes are becoming more difficult and difficult as the years go by. The average for graduation has gone up to 5 to 6 years. Also, don't compare yourself to everyone in regards of timeline. Just do your best and you'll be fine.

Ok, thanks. I guess I thought Zoology was a class that all freshman everywhere took... that's kinda how my adviser made it sound, so I was really freaked out. Once I think about it, it won't really set me back for my pre-med requirements, but it will put me out of a whole semester for my major, since Medical Vocabulary will not count towards my major :(

Members don't see this ad :)
If it were me, I would not take the medical vocab class. Take something that will offset having to double down on bio courses later. Take one of your liberal arts requirements instead of wasting it on some useless medical vocab class that likely counts towards nothing but credits if its only a two credit course.

Ok, thanks. I guess I thought Zoology was a class that all freshman everywhere took... that's kinda how my adviser made it sound, so I was really freaked out. Once I think about it, it won't really set me back for my pre-med requirements, but it will put me out of a whole semester for my major, since Medical Vocabulary will not count towards my major :(

Do they offer any courses that is required for your major during the summer or winter? You can take those classes and have free time to take your science courses later. And I know only a couple of schools that require zoology as a pre-req and others take other upper division bio courses as an substitute. For me, I didn't take zoology.

I would research a few schools you would like to apply and look at the courses they require. It's always smart to look where the final destination will be. Such as biochem, stats, etc.

Do they offer any courses that is required for your major during the summer or winter? You can take those classes and have free time to take your science courses later. And I know only a couple of schools that require zoology as a pre-req and others take other upper division bio courses as an substitute. For me, I didn't take zoology.

I would research a few schools you would like to apply and look at the courses they require. It's always smart to look where the final destination will be. Such as biochem, stats, etc.

I know they offer some biology courses in the summer, but I won't be able to take them since I already have plans to study abroad this summer. I'm not sure where I'm applying yet but I know that at my school it just seemed like a tradition that freshman took Fundamentals in the fall, then zoology. That;s just how the plan for my major goes, and how our pre-med plan fits with it. I know I will have to get up there in the higher level courses. Fortunately I came in with AP credit for Statistics and Calculus along some gen ed classes so I won't be burdened with classes later on.
I guess my question is this: Should I take the Med Vocab class now? My advisor keeps saying it will help me on the MCAT, but there are a lot of gen eds and honors classes I could be using that spot for.

I would worry less about the zoology class and more on pre-req courses. Take anything that will count towards graduation or take something that will fulfill a medical school requirement. Make sure you get into the chemistry class though :)

Nope. I want to reinforce that there is no timeline. It isn't necessary to take zoology your freshman year. In fact, I'm not sure it's even possible, unless it's a lower version of zoology. You want to take your premed reqs first and then your upper division courses later on.

Getting classes are becoming more difficult and difficult as the years go by. The average for graduation has gone up to 5 to 6 years. Also, don't compare yourself to everyone in regards of timeline. Just do your best and you'll be fine.

I am a senior this year and I've been super stressed my whole college career about classes! I wish i could've seen this my freshmen year lol