Sep 8, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey everyone,

So of course I am panicking again.

I received secondaries this past week, and was planning to turn them all around by this Sunday. (I am just now getting secondaries because I waited to add schools when I got my new MCAT score September 8th.)

I figured this was an okay timeline, but then I realized I can't be considered for an interview without having all of my LORs submitted. My committee letter from my undergrad could not be written until they received my new MCAT so I was told all of these letters would be in no later than the end of September. The deadline is November 15 for the school I am applying to.

I just wanted to know if you all think having a "complete application" (LORs/secondary) at the school too late, or is this still okay for timing purposes?

Thank you in advance!

caffeinemia

5+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2014
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's not too late. It's later than ideal, but given that some places (like Stanford and Northwestern) interview into late February, I think you're okay. Keep calm and apply on.

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
It's not too late. It's later than ideal, but given that some places (like Stanford and Northwestern) interview into late February, I think you're okay. Keep calm and apply on.
The only lousy thing is that end of September is when claim the committee letter will be sent in. A lot of people on SDN have lamented how their committee letters are sent weeks after they said they'd be sent, or are unexpectedly held up because they're (slowly) trying to get that last letter in. Not trying to scare the OP, but if you haven't submitted your primary to some of your school choices (and therefore wouldn't be a reapplicant next year) it might be an idea to see how quickly the letter moves along before you do so.

Maybe other people can give their opinions on this, it just seems to me like a delicate situation with a ton of trust being placed on a committee letter being extremely punctual.

OP
S
Sep 8, 2015
Status
Thank you for the much needed advice!!

I submitted my primary in June, and had my new LORs sent to my committee as well. The only hold up was waiting for my new Mcat to come out. Luckily, I have a great relationship with the committee advisor and she has never seemed to give unrealistic deadlines in the past. If she says she will have it uploaded by the end of September I do not doubt she will make this happen. I was just afraid the end of September may be too late!!

OP
S
Sep 8, 2015
Status
I am primarily concerned with UAB deadlines. Secondary is due no later than Nov. 15, and interviews run into March, I am hoping for October interview!!