Is my shot at my dream school(s) over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just based on my stats alone, do you think that I could still have a shot at my dream school(s) such as UCSF, Stanford, USC, etc (I'm a non-Cali resident unfortunately)? My ultimate dream would be either UCSF or Stanford since I absolutely love the Bay Area.

cGPA: ~3.6
sGPA: ~3.5

Have not taken the MCAT, but given that I do very well, would it still be worth it to try? Or would I just be wasting my time

Members don't see this ad.

What do your ECs look like? I think if you have superstar ECs and an MCAT of 35+, you might still have a shot. Are you URM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps let's not think about the dream schools so much, simply because there are many "numerically qualified applicants" that do not get in. I'm guessing the main goal for you is to become an MD, right? So let's have you focus on that first, and eventually you can just enter that you'd like to apply to stanford, ucsf, andwhatever else there is. I had a GPA a little lower than yours but still managed to have a lot of fun during the interview cycle, so it'll just depend on your extracirriculars.

If your main concern is only about your dream schools, it does concern me somewhat because it seems like all you care about are your dream schools, rather than simply becoming an MD.

get a 40 and its possible. I think doing something like teach for america would be HUGE for a top school.

No shame in a mid-tier MD.

If all you care about is being at those schools, there are other ways to achieve that goal. Those numbers are kind of low for the schools in Cali. It's extremely hard for Cali residents to get into those schools, so its even harder for OOS students to get in. I applied to UCSF and Stanford with numbers higher than yours and got rejected from both pre-interview.

To expand on what Alejandro said, I would re-evaluate whether you think you really want to get an MD. It's a commitment and if you aren't whole heartedly ready to commit then getting an MD may not be the right choice.