Is Navy HPSP right for this non-trad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NonTradNavy

I'm a 40 year old 1st year med student in an MD program and wondering if Navy HPSP might be right for me. I'll be 41 in a few months. I'm married and we have two daughters (3 and 10). I am absolutely set on family medicine. In fact, I came back to medicine later in life specifically to practice family med.

I've read a bit here on Navy HPSP and while I would NOT be doing this for the money (as I know that's a poor reason) I wouldn't be ignoring the fact that at my age and for my preferred residency I would be one who might benefit from the program.

First question - age requirement/waiver. I've read that one must graduate med school by age 42 to qualify for HPSP. Is that still the case? I would assume waivers are rare, but are they ever given?

I've always wanted to serve my country and in fact, tried to join the Marines a few years back but age requirements disqualified me there as well. I would take great pride in taking care of the men and women actively serving our country.

Second question - what is the likelihood of someone of my age and/or preferred residency avoiding GMO and going straight through? I would love to graduate, finish a family med residency and then work in a Naval hospital location like Portsmouth. Which leads to my...

Third question - I totally understand the aspect of going where you're told while serving, but is there any flexibility for someone in my situation? If I told the Navy that I'd simply like to serve in a specific location would I have any chance of doing that? Or are these questions laughable?

Thanks in advance. I suppose I'll have additional questions only if the age question is in my favor.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure NavyFP will be along shortly to answer ...

First question - age requirement/waiver. I've read that one must graduate med school by age 42 to qualify for HPSP. Is that still the case? I would assume waivers are rare, but are they ever given?

As I understand it, age waivers are pretty common for the medical corps.

Second question - what is the likelihood of someone of my age and/or preferred residency avoiding GMO and going straight through? I would love to graduate, finish a family med residency and then work in a Naval hospital location like Portsmouth. Which leads to my...

Of all specialties, FP has historically had some of the best odds for straight through FP training. Of course there are no guarantees.

Third question - I totally understand the aspect of going where you're told while serving, but is there any flexibility for someone in my situation? If I told the Navy that I'd simply like to serve in a specific location would I have any chance of doing that? Or are these questions laughable?

You get "input" on preference. I can't speak to how accomodating the FP community is. I'd be surprised if they'd put a 3-year HPSP'er at one of the big 3 medcens (like Portsmouth) for a first and likely only tour though. If you want to be around Marines you could probably get yourself sent to Pendleton or Lejeune, either at the hospitals there, or directly attached to an operational unit.

You'll be on the short list to deploy of course ... though I guess we're looking at the 2018+ time frame if you're a MS1 now, so who knows what the world and our op tempo will look like then.

Age will not be an issue. I was able to get a waiver at age 47. You just need to be able to finish your obligation by age 62. That being said things have gotten more competitive in the last 2-3 years. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the delay, have been in transition.

It is likely that age waivers will be problematic. We have more than enough applicants, so there is not the desperation of previous years. Ask anyway, but be prepared.

There are no considerations for straight through training in regards to age. For a Family doc the likelihood of straight through training is very good and they do offer continuous contracts for some of the positions.

If you expect love from the detailers...forget about it. There are a number of jobs that are becoming very hard to fill and I have seen many instances where the individual is sent despite objection. Division billets are particularly hard to fill these days. Just be prepared.

If you expect love from the detailers...forget about it. There are a number of jobs that are becoming very hard to fill and I have seen many instances where the individual is sent despite objection. Division billets are particularly hard to fill these days. Just be prepared.
Echo this. Every year the needs of the Navy are different. Last year, Norfolk billets were harder to find for FP. This year, there are 5-6. Of course not at the hospital, the spots are shipboard or whatever.

No way to predict what will be available that far in advance.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

Thank you all for the replies; definitely given me more to think about.

You have to think of the military as an adventure. The not knowing is part of what makes it an adventure. I have also come up with my own saying: It isn't an adventure until something goes wrong.

Some people want to go to med school, get their residency right away in their desired field in their location of choice and set up shop working whatever "standard" hours for their specialty are. Some people want a bit more adventure in life. Just remember that if you choose the adventure of the military, some of it isn't fun.

Age will not be an issue. I was able to get a waiver at age 47. You just need to be able to finish your obligation by age 62. That being said things have gotten more competitive in the last 2-3 years. Good luck.

I would be grateful if you could answer a few questions
Were you already a doctor at 47, or were you a student?
Was the fitness test any trouble?
Do you plan to stay until retirement?
I am 46 starting med school this year.

Thanks

I would be grateful if you could answer a few questions
Were you already a doctor at 47, or were you a student?
Was the fitness test any trouble?
Do you plan to stay until retirement?
I am 46 starting med school this year.

Thanks

If you are looking at the Navy, I think the probability of getting a scholarship is near zero this year. You will have to be a stellar student, going to a top-tier medical school and have something in your prior work background which makes you special.

If you would like to discuss specifics, please feel free to PM me.

If you are looking at the Navy, I think the probability of getting a scholarship is near zero this year. You will have to be a stellar student, going to a top-tier medical school and have something in your prior work background which makes you special.

+1

Just got my scholarship, after starting the process last spring (although there were other complications). Just squeezed out a spot - but much of the reason I got one at all is because I am prior service.

Recruiter says that some 3-year scholarships are coming down from time to time, so while it may not be impossible it will certainly be very challenging.

May want to also keep in mind FAP or other such programs. If you're simply looking for fun and adventure in your life, the reserves are always a good deal. All of the honor and courage, half the commitment!