BOTH Is NBME going too far with USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copper7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I agree ever doctor must pass an exam after training. But does it measure what supposed to measure, the reality? Why do we need to take 1-3 months just to prepare for the exam? Do they teach us wrong in a residency? Or, the exam has nothing in common with a real practice? Did doctors 10-20 years ago take a similar exam? Were they worse or better doctors? Okay, new drugs, new interventions. It means more information to deal with. Isn’t it enough? Looks like sadistic deviations. Why would you continuously raise a passing score on Step 3? Okay, more time, more money, to relearn and forget most of the tested materials which are out of the scope of your practice again? But why? Okay, maybe a good exercise for a brain, hopefully will prevent from early Alzheimer...

Would the exam be the same if NBME board members had to take it every year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yup cutoff scores increasing every few years. I guess they are looking to weed out more and more people.

There are Step 1 and Step 2CS/CK for that. Who will treat the baby boomers? There are not enough doctors. The residents still work crazy hours with no time to study.

Last edited:
Was Step 3 a single day test some years ago? Why 2 days now? They cannot calculate a score from 250 questions, right? What is next? 3 day test? We are there to help our patients. Does knowing the receptor name make me a better doctor? Do patients ask you about a receptor name?

What Predicts USMLE Step 3 Performance?
Andriole, Dorothy A.; Jeffe, Donna B.; Hageman, Heather L.; Whelan, Alison J.
Academic Medicine: October 2005 - Volume 80 - Issue 10 - p S21-S24

I like their Conclusions Individualized Step 3 scores provide medical schools with additional means to externally validate their educational programs and to enhance the scope of outcomes assessments for their graduates.
They came to it from: There were significant first-order associations between Step 3 scores and each of USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 scores, third-year clerkships’ grade point average (GPA), Alpha Omega Alpha election, Medical Scientist Training Program graduation, broad-based specialty residency training...
In other words, everything (most) is already preset even before the exam. So, what is the point to take exam? If you are selected base on the high Step 1 and 2 scores, you do not need any additional test.

I would like to see a study where experienced doctors, NBME board members, PDs take Step 3 exam. They should be on the top of the game ("gold standard"), right? Can the test measure the reality? This is how you calibrate a test to a gold standard, right? If they fail, it means the test is useless. If they need time and effort to adjust reality, the test is useless. All of them, Step1-3 are just IQ tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user