Is Nephrology, gastroenterology considered primary care?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bengalswillwin

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know pediatrics and OB/GYN are but wasn't sure about these two

Members don't see this ad.

No, but you need to do internal med. or peds residency in order to get into nephr or GI fellowships, spicedmanna beat me to it

Members don't see this ad :)
*****? I know a couple of other people are, but I'm not really sure about this case.

(BTW, the answer is no.)

so I should not mention my interest in these fields to med schools that want to produce primary care physicians, right?

isnt ob/gyn a surgical sub? I'm dont think its primary care

it is according to this one med school but i dont know for sure... ask others

OBGYNs can serve as primary care docs for women, the fact that the school places emphasis on educating prim.care physicians doesn't mean they want 100% of their graduates to enter that one field, don't be afraid to mention your interets anywhere and btw Bengals will not win, Da Bears will!

Don't tell me you have your kidneys set on nephrology after studying the juxtaglomerular apparatus for the MCAT. :barf:

Don't tell me you have your kidneys set on nephrology after studying the juxtaglomerular apparatus for the MCAT. :barf:
No, s/he set the eyes on GI after those eyes nearly popped out after all s/he had to go through to overcome constipation.

so I should not mention my interest in these fields to med schools that want to produce primary care physicians, right?
Tell the truth. Interviewers can spot a liar/tool a mile away. I've interviewed dozens of people for jobs, and trust me, it's true. These people have interviewed literally hundreds of medical school candidates and will be able to spot a BS story like yours from a mile away.

Plus, whatever happened to just being honest/honorable?

I would consider a nephrology sub-speciality primary care. But that's just me...

But I would go ahead and mention it. There is a developing shortage of doctors who go into sub-specialities so showing enthusiasm for it probably will do more good than anything else.

Tell the truth. Interviewers can spot a liar/tool a mile away. I've interviewed dozens of people for jobs, and trust me, it's true. These people have interviewed literally hundreds of medical school candidates and will be able to spot a BS story like yours from a mile away.
Too true. If you have an application that shows shadowing of nephrologists and pubs on nephrology but no volunteer work in clinics/hospice and then say how your life dream is family practice, you'll fool no one.
Plus, whatever happened to just being honest/honorable?
Also agree. Too many folks sell out/compromise themselves with age, but to do so before graduating college just seems... sad.