Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

is Neuroscience a limiting/overly specialized undergrad major?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by jasmynediva, Dec 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasmynediva

jasmynediva Junior Member

Hi,
    i figured i would post this in the allopathic forum since you guys are already in med school.

~ In your opinion, as a premed student would I be limiting myself by majoring in neuroscience which focuses mostly on the CNS and brain/behavior?

While i enjoy studying the brain, I have been told that neuroscience in the undergraduate level is too specialized and isnt exactly the best "premed" major. Im debating whether to do neuroscience at a well known university (University of illinois chicago) or do biomedical sciences(covers upper level science classes like histology, immunology, embyology etc) at a smaller less known college. Which major would be more uselful once i got into med school.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rockdoc

rockdoc MSIV
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I majored in neurobiology, and I never regretted it. Sure, it was focused, but I loved the subject a lot, which allowed me to excel. You have to find what you love to learn about in order to do well in it. Don't force yourself into a major that you think will prepare you more for med school (although my neuro major did indeed help in our integrated neuroscience block and also in the neuro subject board). There isn't a completely "good" premed major, per se. Taking the prerequisite courses required to apply to med school should already give you a good and solid background, granted that you work hard and do well in them.

Good luck.

4. Krazykritter

Krazykritter Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I say major in whatever field you want that interests you. Everyone that applies to med school has at least the basic science requirements and there are actually quite a few students that major in completely separate fields. No matter what you do...enjoy your undergrad education and have a lot of experiences.

5. ussdfiant

Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Duplicate post. Please respond to thread in Pre-Allo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.