Is NHSC Loan Repayment A VIABLE Option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBear123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be $250k+ in debt when I graduate med school in 2017. I'm interested in primary care, particularly in practicing in underserved urban communities in my home state of CA. I've looked into loan repayment, but I can't find too much information about just how competitive the positions are. By some numbers, it seems that only 10% of those who apply are actually accepted. If that is the case, I would not consider this to be a viable option for loan repayment and would have to think long and hard before going into primary care (and I do realize I have 4 years to do this lol). Anyone have any information about loan repayment that they would like to share? I am very interested in learning more.

Members don't see this ad.

There's a whole forum on public health service and the issues therein. Try browsing through it and asking your questions there.

I'm going to be $250k+ in debt when I graduate med school in 2017. I'm interested in primary care, particularly in practicing in underserved urban communities in my home state of CA. I've looked into loan repayment, but I can't find too much information about just how competitive the positions are. By some numbers, it seems that only 10% of those who apply are actually accepted. If that is the case, I would not consider this to be a viable option for loan repayment and would have to think long and hard before going into primary care (and I do realize I have 4 years to do this lol). Anyone have any information about loan repayment that they would like to share? I am very interested in learning more.

Are you confusing the NHSC scholarship with the loan repayment program? The scholarship is fairly competitive, but my understanding is that all (or at least most) of those who want to do the loan repayment program are able to do so. Not sure if NHSC would give you numbers on this, but might be worth asking about. I have contacted NHSC via email in the past and always gotten responses, although they have varied in quality/completeness.