is NJ a good dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is new jersey a good dental school? how is the environment there? n.e one interviewed there, or been there b/4?

Members don't see this ad.

is new jersey a good dental school? how is the environment there? n.e one interviewed there, or been there b/4?

Great school. State of the art facilities. Clinics almost look brand new. Nice people and really strong clinical requirements. Also for a good price. Even if you're from out of state, you can get instate tuition starting first year. The financial aid lady during my interview said that no one at UMDNJ should be paying out of state tuition. However, its in Newark... lots of violent people. The week before my interview, there was a drive by in Newark.

Great school. State of the art facilities. Clinics almost look brand new. Nice people and really strong clinical requirements. Also for a good price. Even if you're from out of state, you can get instate tuition starting first year. The financial aid lady during my interview said that no one at UMDNJ should be paying out of state tuition. However, its in Newark... lots of violent people. The week before my interview, there was a drive by in Newark.

agree with above.
nice/new facilities, GREAT patient population (lots of cases). high clinical requirements, which should translate to being better/faster at procedures. can't beat the price in this area. awesome faculty. area is kinda bad, but you deal with it, as do most dental schools. if you have more questions, just PM me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a friend that just finished her first year at the dental school and loves the school. She lives on campus in student housing and can walk to lab whenever she needs to. The area surrounding the school is bad but as long as you are on campus, you will be fine.

Only thing i hated was the staff. During last years admissions, ANYtime you called there was no answer. I even left messages twice and got no reply. Really turned off because of that. I applied early and interviews elsewhere but they basically took my deposit and i NEVER heard from them...

I heard great things about the school, just the neighborhood sucks bad.

Even though the neighborhood is "bad" you have to take into consideration that that may make for a bigger, and better patient/ clinical experience. I'm from Chicago, the heart of it not the suburbs, and I don't think Newark would be any dangerous.

so everyone are saying the school is nice. but the area is bad?.. .. can you guys describe "bad".. like ghetto? being robbed? shot? mugged?.. haha. i'm just wondering..! the last thing i wana do is get kill/ mugged when i'm in dental school....

so everyone are saying the school is nice. but the area is bad?.. .. can you guys describe "bad".. like ghetto? being robbed? shot? mugged?.. haha. i'm just wondering..! the last thing i wana do is get kill/ mugged when i'm in dental school....

all the above. i went to temple for undergrad and i felt A LOT safer there then on njds' campus. my friend goes there and i always hear about people being shot, mugged, robbed, car broken into, carjacked... you name it, it happens. you also have to be extra careful during gang initiation... people walk up to cars at the stop light and shoot them. so yes, the school is ok, minus some profs that are total a-holes(i'm sure every school has at least one), but the area can be very dangerous if you aren't street smart. Would I go there? Only if it was the only dental school that I got accepted to.

all the above. i went to temple for undergrad and i felt A LOT safer there then on njds' campus. my friend goes there and i always hear about people being shot, mugged, robbed, car broken into, carjacked... you name it, it happens. you also have to be extra careful during gang initiation... people walk up to cars at the stop light and shoot them. so yes, the school is ok, minus some profs that are total a-holes(i'm sure every school has at least one), but the area can be very dangerous if you aren't street smart. Would I go there? Only if it was the only dental school that I got accepted to.

Oh hellll no.. I 'm not gonna go there now .. I should of known b/4 applying..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalbear

Oh hellll no.. I 'm not gonna go there now .. I should of known b/4 applying..

dentalmon and dentalbear, I do not know if I'm accurate about this. It almost looks as if both names are being used together to scare readers away from new jersey. Dentalbear has but one post and felt the need to voice his negative opinion about the safety of a dental school without any sources. Both usernames begin with the same prefix, and use very similar tone and language. If it was indeed your attempt to scare people away using this "trick," it is certainly a sad attempt indeed. Do you think sdn members are *****s? I know the competition is tough especially now, but it is really sad that you would resort to this.

People, use neutral web tools to find out about crime rates, and speak to people you yourself know. If you get an interview at NJ, make time to scope out the area and determine the safety for yourself. I can't say I'm 100% accurate about this accusation, but keep your eyes open!

dentalmon and dentalbear, I do not know if I'm accurate about this. It almost looks as if both names are being used together to scare readers away from new jersey. Dentalbear has but one post and felt the need to voice his negative opinion about the safety of a dental school without any sources. Both usernames begin with the same prefix, and use very similar tone and language. If it was indeed your attempt to scare people away using this "trick," it is certainly a sad attempt indeed. Do you think sdn members are *****s? I know the competition is tough especially now, but it is really sad that you would resort to this.

People, use neutral web tools to find out about crime rates, and speak to people you yourself know. If you get an interview at NJ, make time to scope out the area and determine the safety for yourself. I can't say I'm 100% accurate about this accusation, but keep your eyes open!

i can assure you that we are not the same person. yes i recently signed up on this board and i am just giving my own opinion, and anyone should take it with a grain of salt. I have been to the campus many times and know the area as well as the good and bad aspects of the school based on several people's experiences there. No I don't believe that sdn members are *****s, but you are correct that anyone should find out on their own what the school is like and not judge on a stranger's opinion alone. If you would like me too I can start naming different professors, staff, locations of buildings, eating areas, preclinic/clinic descriptions, as well as the places where people have been mugged, shot, etc. All I'm saying is that if you're not used to the city or haven't lived in a dangerous area, then newark isn't for you. Like I said, I can totally be wrong and a person who visits could totally love the school, however I know it wouldn't be one of my top choices.

Last edited: