Is NO grilling BAD??????????????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbettyrock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When asked ethics questions during my interview, I gave straight-forward answers. I did not explain both sides of the issue, I simply told what I thought was the best way to handle the 'problem'. Now, I'm wondering why I was NOT grilled? Lots of people are worried about being grilled but I'm worried about NOT being grilled.... Is this a sign of lack of interest?

Members don't see this ad.

I've noticed that you have posted a few interview related threads in the past, and as nerve-wracking and panic inducing as interviews can be, I think you should reflect on your responses in hopes of improving (research both sides of the ethical question so you will be prepared next time, if you have more interviews, etc.) but don't second guess yourself.

Interviews are subjective and it's hard to interpret your interviewer's behavior. I've had interviewers that were very abrasive and up front, and others that were totally laid-back. Moreover, I think a lot of interviews is just exploring our critical thinking abilities--If you feel you explained why/how you reached a certain conclusion, then I wouldn't worry about it. There are often no single "right" answers. Waiting for decisions is the agonizing part...good luck :)

When asked ethics questions during my interview, I gave straight-forward answers. I did not explain both sides of the issue, I simply told what I thought was the best way to handle the 'problem'. Now, I'm wondering why I was NOT grilled? Lots of people are worried about being grilled but I'm worried about NOT being grilled.... Is this a sign of lack of interest?

What bothers me is not that you keep posting these types of threads, but that you keep ignoring the good advice that you're getting. RELAX, stop second-guessing everything

Members don't see this ad :)
What bothers me is not that you keep posting these types of threads, but that you keep ignoring the good advice that you're getting. RELAX, stop second-guessing everything

Sorry.... I'm not ignoring the good advice. I keep thinking about the interview and can't make up my mind about it. I'm just using this forum instead of bugging my friends and family. I figure SDNers will respond if they feel like it... I don't want to agonize my friends and family......
I feel like I'm going insane over this process (maybe a little OCD) and am therefore turning to SDN. For some reason, I thought that no one would recognize my posting habits...

Sorry.... I'm not ignoring the good advice. I keep thinking about the interview and can't make up my mind about it. I'm just using this forum instead of bugging my friends and family. I figure SDNers will respond if they feel like it... I don't want to agonize my friends and family......
I feel like I'm going insane over this process (maybe a little OCD) and am therefore turning to SDN. For some reason, I thought that no one would recognize my posting habits...

You should try to search for that thread that was about a correlation between subjective ratings of interviews vs. acceptances. Personally, I've not found much of a correlation. The interview is just one piece of your application. Plus, it is the general impression of you that is probably more important than particular answers. One interviewer answer won't make or break you (unless it ends with "that's just the way I feel bi**h)

Trust me, I know what that anxiety is like. The problem is that it's unresolvable. Let's say that you get some advice here that proves that you did an outstanding job/gave outstanding answers. Does that mean you will be accepted? NO. What if everyone here says your answers were terrible? Does that mean you won't be accepted? NO

I think we all use SDN to lessen our anxieties and to get some good advice (though sometimes it definitely increases my anxiety). That's what it's for. But you might be better off if you just let it go.

You should try to search for that thread that was about a correlation between subjective ratings of interviews vs. acceptances. Personally, I've not found much of a correlation. The interview is just one piece of your application. Plus, it is the general impression of you that is probably more important than particular answers. One interviewer answer won't make or break you (unless it ends with "that's just the way I feel bi**h)

Trust me, I know what that anxiety is like. The problem is that it's unresolvable. Let's say that you get some advice here that proves that you did an outstanding job/gave outstanding answers. Does that mean you will be accepted? NO. What if everyone here says your answers were terrible? Does that mean you won't be accepted? NO

I think we all use SDN to lessen our anxieties and to get some good advice (though sometimes it definitely increases my anxiety). That's what it's for. But you might be better off if you just let it go.

That's really good advice. I'm going to try leaving SDN for a few days :)

That's really good advice. I'm going to try leaving SDN for a few days :)

It's hard to quit. I first started using when I was a sophomore. It started out innocent enough....I was able to break the habit for a few months. In the middle of my app cycle, maybe it was just the stress, but I started dabbling in SDN again....a quick question here and there, maybe a quick post....now its 12:47am on a Saturday morning and I need a fix...what is my life coming to? :)

You should try to search for that thread that was about a correlation between subjective ratings of interviews vs. acceptances.

You mean the one that I started to address my own post-interview neuroses? This is it: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=379082&highlight=interview+performance

Interviews are a tricky thing. I got waitlisted at the school where I had my best interview and accepted at the school where I had my worst. Funny thing is that the second school was ranked higher than the first. You can never tell with these things. Just give it your best shot and try not to overthink it afterwards.

No grilling? I thought that a barbecue was perfunctory for interviews. :laugh:

It probably just means that they don't put that much weight on the interview or that you wowwed them so much on paper that they didn't want to risk smudging your obvious stellar application.

You're probably overthinking it, but there might be some validity to the necessity of grilling.

The only possible way that it could hurt you not to be grilled is if you perform extremely well under pressure and you're on the cusp in terms of acceptance. If this is the case, and they are deciding between applicants with similar apps, then the person who performs best under pressure will most likely get the position. However, I'm sure if the situation could even potentially arise, they would have taken full advantage and grilled the hell out of you.

My guess is that it's one of two things:

1. Your app is just fine. It's strong enough to curb an average interview so they didn't even bother.

2. The interview just isn't a large part of the application.

Anyway, best of luck.
-Dr. P.

It's hard to quit. I first started using when I was a sophomore. It started out innocent enough....I was able to break the habit for a few months. In the middle of my app cycle, maybe it was just the stress, but I started dabbling in SDN again....a quick question here and there, maybe a quick post....now its 12:47am on a Saturday morning and I need a fix...what is my life coming to? :)

Yes, I'm realizing that it is indeed hard to quit.... Didn't realize this forum would be so addictive! :rolleyes:

I think this has to do with the personality of the interviewer instead of having anything to do with the interviewee.

PBF067ADBumbleBuzzin_thumb.jpg

I think this has to do with the personality of the interviewer instead of having anything to do with the interviewee.

Bingo. The interviewers vary more than anything else. Some interviewers will grill, some won't. Some will ask rapid-fire questions, some will tend to engage in conversation. Some will give interviewees the impression that the interview was absolutely horrific, and some will make the interviewee feel like they are a perfect match for the school. At the end of the day, all interviewers will accept some and not accept others. (I know that the interviewer doesn't necessarily make the decision, but you know what I mean.) All you can do is present yourself the best you can and try to gauge the interviewer's personality. But do not take a "bad interview" feeling to mean that you won't be accepted, or question the interviewer's reaction.

As for staying away from SDN during the waiting part of the application process, I think that's generally a good idea.

They should have grilled me about why I think listening to the patient is so important. They were probably thinking... "Yeah does she know how busy a physician really is?" I wish they had grilled me. Oh well. I'll stop obsessing.

Now.:cool: