Is note taking even necessary for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wlee43

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since all the materials you need to learn will be in the review books anyway?

Members don't see this ad.

If it helps you remember the information better, do it, but I wouldn't say it is "necessary". If you are like me, and note taking only slows you down, skip it.

All the material you need to learn for school is in your text books. Do you take notes for that?

If yes, then yes.

If no, then no.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I added annotations when I was using EK, which almost everyone would agree is very concise. Sometimes I would draw figures in order to illustrate something, other times I would rephrase something in a way that made more sense to me.

You certainly don't "have" to take notes. Do what works best for you.

For what it's worth, I took notes on every TBR chapter and I haven't looked at my notes once. I do feel like it helped me slow down and learn the material, though. I suppose it depends on the person.

It's probably not necessary, but I took notes on those topics that I had the toughest time remembering or understanding. That way, I had a quick reference for all the things I felt I needed to drill myself on. I also also took note of any mnemonics I came up with.