Is now the time to start thinking about re-applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

running22

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received 2 interviews pre-dec and have not heard from either school yet. Sent a letter of intent to my top choice and letters of interest to the rest of the schools I applied to. Is now the time to start drafting a new personal statement and asking professors for LOR for the next cycle? I know there is still time left in this cycle but I'm just curious to see what others think.

Members don't see this ad.

I only received 1 and am probably gonna withdraw my apps soon, so I would say yes

It’s the time to start thinking about it but no where near time to give up on this cycle. Make some calculated phone calls and be resourceful. Definitely have a plan in place for reapplying. People get accepted to dental school all the way into the year you applied for. A kid in the year above me got accepted two weeks AFTER SCHOOL STARTED. He is a hand skills freak of nature and has been the top of his class from day 1. This stuff isn’t an exact science just do what you can and prepare to reapply if you have to.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can sympathize with them. I interviewed with 6 so far, rejected by 2 and still waiting from 4. I start every day with a great expectation but end it with another disappointment. It is tiring, but I just think of this as another part of the selection process. I feel more worthless every passing day, but I will endure.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I can sympathize with them. I interviewed with 6 so far, rejected by 2 and still waiting from 4. I start every day with a great expectation but end it with another disappointment. It is tiring, but I just think of this as another part of the selection process. I feel more worthless every passing day, but I will endure.
I just stopped checking my email every day . Limit to once a week this way I only get disappointed once a week rather then every day 😂

Reactions: 1 users
Oh I've felt worthless since high school, you get used to it

Dude seriously don't give up yet and DON'T WITHDRAW YOUR APPLICATION

honestly, the only time you should really withdraw is if you’ve already committed to another school and you’re 100% sure that’s where you want to go

Last edited:
Be prepared to reapply, BUT DON'T LOSE HOPE FOR THIS CYCLE!

Reactions: 2 users
I have a friend who applied to 23 schools didn't hear back from any school, then suddenly in the middle of march he got an interview and got accepted into that school. You really never know what will happen. It definitely is frustrating, trust me I'm right there with you guys and it's been disappointment after disappointment and it sucks. But make a plan B and just try to hold out hope your Plan A works out.

I have a friend who applied to 23 schools didn't hear back from any school, then suddenly in the middle of march he got an interview and got accepted into that school. You really never know what will happen. It definitely is frustrating, trust me I'm right there with you guys and it's been disappointment after disappointment and it sucks. But make a plan B and just try to hold out hope your Plan A works out.

When I started dental school, there were two classmates who had gotten an acceptance just the weekend before school started. They had only a couple of days to arrange transportation and pack some bags to make it to day 1 and one was living out of a hotel room the first week in. Until that rejection letter comes, there will be a chance, however slim you may think it is. Be prepared for the worst (continue working on your application for next year), but hope for the best (keep the application open).

• Love
Don't lose hope yet. I suddenly got another interview early March and was accepted couple days ago. Stay strong, friend. It's still happening.

• Love
Don't lose hope yet. I suddenly got another interview early March and was accepted couple days ago. Stay strong, friend. It's still happening.
Thank you for the encouragement!

Start preparing for next cycle, but don't lose hope. One guy in my class got the call on the 1st day of orientation and the another got the call 1st day of class.