Is NYU a bunch of bastards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizardKing

Veteran Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my own experience dealing with the school as well as from other people's stories, NYU seems like one of the meanest schools out there. I called them six different times to send me an app but they never sent one, so I said screw it and didn't bother applying (then again, how could I without the app?). Not to mention how rude they were on the phone. I also read someone's post about how NYU started withdrawing interviews after a couple weeks. wtf?!?

Any other stories or experiences with this school? Doesn't sound like a place I'd want to go.

Members don't see this ad.

i actually interviewed there this weekend and have to say that i was really blown away. i came in hearing all this crap about the school and the facilities but i've gotta say, i was really impressed. only thing that i didn't like about the school was that it had far and away the ugliest students i've ever seen. but they were all really nice when i was there. my suitemate's dad is the head of the MD/PHD program there and he's a really nice guy also. i am wondering though if it's a school of columbia/cornell rejects. also, im wondering how the students found it to be compared to sinai.

either way, i would absolutely love to go there. they said the committee is meeting either right before or right after christmas, so we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Choker I like your signature. It is really funny!

sorry to hear about your experiences at nyu! but you gotta realize that adcom at a school X does not = school itself. When you call, just be polite and nice to them, apologize for taking their time and encourage their hard work, then more often then not you will be greeted with the same kindness. I've never had a problem with a rude reply on any schools I called (however I'm applying MD/PhD so they may be different? :rolleyes: ) You gotta cut them some slack, I mean if my job was to go through 3500 apps every year, I would get a bit antsy here and there. However it is strange that they would not even send you an application. ??? Why don't you write a formal letter to the dean of admissions?

People seem to form general conclusions on a school based upon personal interactions with one or two individuals at a school's admissions office. After I got accepted at my undergrad school, I never once again talked to the adcom people..

Regarding choker's comments: When I interviewed at NYU for MSTP, I was also very impressed. The director (Dr.Salzer (MDPHD from WashU) was a nice guy. I dunno about ugly students, I saw some really cute looking girls there! MSTP students there were also extremely nice/easy going folks. They have some upcoming/rising stars in research too. A brandnew cancer research bldg (very important b/c I like to do research at modern, clean labs!).. I'd definitely love to go to NYU !

Originally posted by chef:
•(however I'm applying MD/PhD so they may be different? :rolleyes: ) !•••

Why do MD/PhD candidates get treated so differently? On more than one occassion, I've heard that they wine and dine you guys? Where's the love for the rest of us applicants?

Sorry to hear about people's bad experiences at NYU. I interviewed there (MD only) a few weeks back and had a great time! My interviewer was awesome--it was like chatting with an old friend for 30 min. The admissions office there has always been really nice to me. One secretary even gave me her personal email address a while ago when I called to request an app. But like the other SDNers said--don't judge a school by its admissions staff...you'll never have to deal with them again, so it's pointless to make your decision about the school based on how admiss. has treated you!

Originally posted by md2be06:

Why do MD/PhD candidates get treated so differently? On more than one occassion, I've heard that they wine and dine you guys? Where's the love for the rest of us applicants?•••

We get special treatment because honestly theres not a whole lot of people who want to spend 8 years in medical/graduate school. Therefore they have to compete over us moreso than the regular MD adcoms do. Thats why they pay for 2nd look trips and some will even pay for interview trips.