Is Oceania University of Medicine in Samoa a legitimate medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Velociraptor88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's been over 5 years since this school was discussed on the forums, so I just wanted to see if anyone had any information on the legitimacy of Oceania University of Medicine in Samoa. Apparently, the basic science courses are taken online from home, while clinical rotations are supposedly arranged in each student's local area. The school claims that there are graduates of their program who attained US residency slots. Does anyone know anything about this school? Don't the various US accrediting agencies (or whatever you call them) have a strict rule that they won't allow someone to practice here if they graduated from a program that utilizes online classes?

Assuming I'm allowed to post it, here's a link to Oceania's website:

http://www.oceaniamed.org/graduateMD/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
I don't see them on the CA Medical Board website: http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Medical_Schools/Schools_Recognized.aspx
Many states use this recognition as a basis for considering FMG candidacy.

Thanks for the info. I noticed they're not on the "disapproved" list either:

http://www.mbc.ca.gov/Applicants/Medical_Schools/Schools_Disapproved.aspx

However, is not being on "approved" list just as bad as being on the "disapproved" one?

Also, since the school isn't on either of CA's lists, would I have to just contact my own state medical board to know for certain?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Most schools that have online learning are junk, and are not acceptable for licensure. This is a very bad idea.

As far as I know, this is the only school with a curriculum that incorporate online courses. Apparently, students have to spend at least 6 weeks in Samoa at some point during the program (doing a clinical rotation, I would assume). The school's website talks about clinical rotations being arranged at facilities in the student's hometown, but I have no idea how local hospitals would react to the prospect of permitting an "online" student to rotate through their facilities.

I noticed you said that most schools with an online learning element are junk -- do you know of any off-shore medical schools that incorporate online learning (and allow students to live where they want, without having to move to the island) that are legitimate?

I noticed you said that most schools with an online learning element are junk -- do you know of any off-shore medical schools that incorporate online learning (and allow students to live where they want, without having to move to the island) that are legitimate?
No. Online learning is the hallmark of the fakest "medical schools."

Most schools (non medical) with distance learning are junk.

All Medical Schools with distance learning are junk. Many states will not license you because of it. Think about it -- Oceana is the "first" to do so. Ross and St G's would be doing this if it was OK. Which it isn't. The Cali BOM specifically states that you must attend the school, not distance learning. So this will never pass muster with Cali, and probably not with NY.

I looked at Oceania's website. They state that "OUM has several alumni in post-graduate training programs." That's pretty terrible, if you think about it. Several could equal 3. Where is their match list? It's nowhere. The FAQ also hems and haws about whether you can practice in the state you want, stating that they've contacted states and the answer is basically "maybe". Which you should translate as "no"

This is a big mistake.

Reactions: 2 users
A friend of mine named Saul Goodman went to law school near there, so I know it's totally legit.

Reactions: 4 users
I am just going to leave this here. While I can see the concern of people attending medical school online, it is certainly possible to obtain US licensure from OUM. I have been researching this for some time now and have just about talked myself into it. See attachment for education confirmation - this was taken directly from the FL Board of Medicine.

Attachments

• Harris.pdf
    234 KB · Views: 681
Reactions: 1 users
I am just going to leave this here. While I can see the concern of people attending medical school online, it is certainly possible to obtain US licensure from OUM. I have been researching this for some time now and have just about talked myself into it. See attachment for education confirmation - this was taken directly from the FL Board of Medicine.
Now if we only knew the denominator...
Was he one out of 50, 100...

Hi All,

My apologies upfront; this is going to be quite lengthy. I just want to be thorough.

I'm a 40-year-old Canadian who is preparing to go to med school. While I am absolutely applying to brick and mortar schools, the likelihood of me getting in is slim (based on historical admission statistics, my grades, etc. around 10% to 15%). I actually forget how I stumbled upon OUM, but I thought it was interesting. The more I looked into it, the more attractive it became. They have an extensive website (http://www.oceaniamed.org/graduateMD/) that covers almost any question you might have, but I decided to post this to remove some of the ambiguity for things that may not be obvious.

First things first: OUM shouldn't be anyone's first choice; it's designed for mature students who want a shot at an M.D. The average entering student is 40.5 and most of them already have careers in healthcare (nurses, physician assistants, paramedics, etc.). As an IMG, your best shot for a residency will be in primary care (FM, peds, IM, psych). I'm personally targeting FM. The program is also super expensive (Anywhere from $140,000 - $200,000 US depending on if/where/how often you travel for your clinical rotations as most hospitals charge a weekly hosting fee, typically $200-$500 above and beyond tuition). The school is upfront about prospective students doing their due diligence to make sure that their state/province will recognize the school. They have openly admitted that CA doesn't recognize them and tell you which states follow CA's lead. Since I don't plan to practice in the US, this really isn't an issue for me, but the counselors are more than happy to answer questions about specific states. As far as Canada is concerned, my province (New Brunswick) will license me.

They offer frequent (at least monthly) hour-long online presentations with live chat via Blackboard with graduates/current students/instructors. Here's the link to see their current offerings:

http://www.oum.edu.ws/graduateMD/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=132

I've personally attended 10 of these sessions, including 3 sample lectures, and they are all quite informative. Again, the admission counselors are very friendly and readily accessible via email for questions.

Here are answers to a few common questions about OUM. If you have others, please check out their website, email a counselor via their site or PM me:

Regarding admissions:
The only formal academic admission requirements for North American applicants are an accredited Bachelor's degree with a min GPA of 3.0 and a one-year course in chemistry with a lab component. While the MCAT isn't required, they say it will strengthen your application. You also need to submit an essay about why you want to become a physician and provide three references, including at least one from a physician. I know a lot of skeptical people think because they're a for-profit institution anyone who can prove they can pay will be admitted. From talking with them directly, it becomes obvious that this isn't true. They make way more money from positive results and positive word-of-mouth.

If you get invited to an interview, they do two rounds. The first is more of a meet-and-greet format with one admissions counselor. They want to get a feel for your personality and to make sure you understand the commitment required. They go over the special challenges on-line students face, especially regarding gross anatomy, microbiology and pathology (high-def on-line slides/videos). They also want to make sure that you're state will license you at this stage.

The second round is a panel format. This is where they look for qualities typically required by most med schools: Empathy, ability to handle stressful situations, etc.

If your science background is too weak for direct entry into the M.D. program, they offer a 40-week post-baccalaureate program. Scoring 70%+ in it gives you automatic admission to the M.D. program with advance standing (I believe equal to almost the 40-week mark).

They have two intake periods: January and July. Looking at past announcements on their site, there looks to be 25-30 entering students per intake. Please keep in mind that this is global; lots of students hail from Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, etc.). I think roughly half are North American; their News section has stories about historical incoming classes.

About the curriculum:
You start by attending a live orientation and white coat ceremony, typically held in Houston. I believe it lasts a few (3?) days. Most if not all of the instructors attend. Oceania students who cannot attend in person connect on-line.

For years 1 & 2:
The first phase (~two years) is your typical pre-clinical curriculum. Like most schools, the coursework preps you for the USMLE Step 1 (or equivalent, since I'm Canadian). You rotate through each subject separately and they use a problem-based learning case study format. There are live on-line interactive lectures via Blackboard throughout the week; these are archived for later review. Many students also arrange group study sessions on Skype. Your study material is accessed electronically via Clinical Key at $500/year. The instructors are typically American native English speakers and all have an M.D. or Ph.D. in the subject matter. Most of them are full-time clinicians who do this on the side. There is also a 6-week course on Research Methodology where you need to submit a preceptor-reviewed, journal-quality research paper.

One feature I really like about this phase of the program is the mentor. They supply you with the material you need to find a local M.D. to mentor you during the first two years. S/he needs to be willing to meet face-to-face for at least one hour/week and OUM pays them $50 US/hr.

Two last points about the first two years:
1. OUM has a USMLE-style, in-house exam that you need to pass before you can take Step 1.
2. There is a seven-week online clinical skills course that focuses on the non-tactile components of an exam (mannerisms, sensitivity, directed questioning, etc.). There is also an in-person component, but you have a choice: Either do the live clinical skills course hosted by Kaplan (@ about $5,000 US) OR start your clinical rotations with the requisite 12 weeks of Internal Medicine on campus in Samoa (see below).

For years 3 & 4:
The last two years are your typical clinical rotations. Of the 72 weeks' worth, a minimum of 4 need to take place on campus in Samoa. This cost (airfare, accommodations, etc.) is above and beyond tuition and will run roughly $5,000 US. There is lots of information online about the country, but think Hawaii. OUM recommends that you do either OB/GYN (the attendings supervise but they'll let you be the primary on uncomplicated vaginal deliveries) or 12 weeks of IM (in lieu of the Kaplan course). They also have an established network of hospitals in the US and Canada where you can rotate through. I don't have an explicit list, but some of them are listed on their website and that is a great question for the counselors. If you have a teaching hospital nearby, they will contact them on your behalf to see if you can do some/most of your rotations there. I know they have done this in Canada (Manitoba), and as I have a teaching hospital in my hometown I'm hoping this might be a possibility.

Their clinical modules cover the usual areas (see their site for details). One thing I did notice is that psych is only four weeks and Canadian residencies (at least in Newfoundland) require a minimum of six weeks, so that would be two of my 16-weeks' worth of electives.

About residency:
Of course there is no guarantee of getting one; it's competitive. ERAS and the SF Match have stats on success rates. That being said, I have attended on-line talks by current residents, most recently this month by Orla Weinhold, PGY-3 in psych at Maricopa in Arizona. Her bio is here:

http://www.mihspsychiatry.org/meet-our-residents.html

She was very open about her experience and offered her email for questions. I was curious and looked this program up on FREIDA. They interview roughly 60 people for one of the 6 annual spots. I think that says a lot about the school. I also know of several other graduates but I'm not going to list them all here. For the curious, looking through the OUM site will reveal many more (especially under the News section and the videos).

The instructors help any way they can. They said that to optimize your shot at a residency you should be open to where you go. You should also do your clinical rotations at as many places as possible; your chances will increase greatly since program coordinators will typically put people they know (and made a good impression, of course) at the top of their list for an interview.

Yes, they are vague on enrollment, USMLE pass rates/scores and residency success rates. I agree that they shouldn't be. If I had to guess, my gut says that many of the people who enroll are surprised to find how challenging it is and drop out and the school doesn't want to scare off potential applicants. At any rate, based on my research, OUM is definitely a legitimate option for anyone who is flexible, driven and goes into it with their eyes wide open.

Again, sorry for the length. Feel free to PM for any more info.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You've done a great job advertising for their school.

But the bottom line is this: They may have a flashy website, and they may have a few grads in the US doing residency, but this is, overall, a terrible choice.

Why?

1. Online education for medical school is not considered acceptable by many states.
2. This school does not list any sort of match list. Everything is a press release talking about one person. I can only see evidence of a handful of people matching in the US. That means that the rest (however many there were) failed out, or never matched.
3. You have a near 0% chance of getting a residency in Canada. As an IMG you'd be in the second iteration of CaRMS. Being from a lesser well known school, your chances are very poor.
4. Applying for a position in the US, you'll need a visa. This will decrease your chances/options further.
5. Canada has started placing limits on J visas. So far, there's no limit on J visas for FM. But if they start, you won't be able to train in the US at all without one (unless you are already a dual citizen)
6. You'll need to take the USMLE, and potentially the Canadian exams also. You didn't mention if you took the MCAT, but remember that the only people who take the USMLE are those that do well enough on the MCAT to get into medical school. If you don't do well on this exam, your options will be more limited.
7. They state that you can train where you live, yet only list a few states where they have established rotations.
8. If you think that some local "teaching hospital" is going to take you for your rotations, that's pretty crazy. Perhaps it will work out, but perhaps not. Probably not.

Overall this is a terrible idea. It seems too good to be true, no? Work from home for the first two years? Rotate at your local hospital? Then just get a residency?

From your post above, either you're a shill for Oceania, or you're desperate and willing to consider anything no matter how many warning signs there are. If the former, shame on you. If the latter, shame on them for playing on your hopes and dreams.

If you're going to go to an offshore medical school with the end game to practice in the US/Canada, go to one of the established schools -- St G, Ross, AUC, UQ, and there are more. But attending Oceania would be a travesty, and you'll likely just lose whatever cash you invest in it.

Reactions: 4 users
aProgDirector:

Thanks for the reply.

I never intended to be a cheerleader for the place; re-reading my initial post, I suppose it may have come off that way in parts. I just see so many people bashing these schools without apparent justification other than they're nontraditional I figured I'd share what I knew first-hand to at least give people a better idea of how they operate.

I see that you've been a very active poster and I really respect the time you've put in helping the student community; being an attending, I imagine your word carries a lot of weight. I appreciate that you cared enough to comment on my post.

Just to touch briefly on your points:

1. Online education for medical school is not considered acceptable by many states.
I mentioned that. I also said they readily admit that California doesn't accept ANY school with an online component and many states follow their lead. All I know is that OUM grads are practicing in the US and they meet Canada's requirements since they are listed in FAIMER and IMED.

2. This school does not list any sort of match list. Everything is a press release talking about one person. I can only see evidence of a handful of people matching in the US. That means that the rest (however many there were) failed out, or never matched.

Being based in Oceania, they have a large student body from Australia and New Zealand. However, it is pretty sketchy that they don't explicitly state their Step 1 scores or brag about their US residency matches each year. When I apply I plan on grilling them about their scores, enrollment numbers and match rates. If they don't want to share that info then that's a huge red flag and I won't attend, period. However, based on my communication with them so far they seem pretty transparent when you ask. If I had to guess, they don't post numbers because many fail out.

3. You have a near 0% chance of getting a residency in Canada. As an IMG you'd be in the second iteration of CaRMS. Being from a lesser well known school, your chances are very poor.
No disrespect, but please do your homework before making blatantly erroneous comments like this. CaRMS has a dedicated first-round IMG stream with 239 spots across all disciplines for 2017 versus 1234 spots for Canadian Medical Graduates (CMGs). The second round is open to all:

https://phx.e-carms.ca/phoenix-web/pd/main?mitid=1327#

4. Applying for a position in the US, you'll need a visa. This will decrease your chances/options further.
Yes, this is true. Based on my research I'll need a J-1 visa. Some US programs won't consider IMGs at all. Thankfully there are 497 US FM programs and many appear to be IMG-friendly as shown by their program details on FREIDA (33.9% of FM residents are IMGs overall. This was found under Specialty Training Statistics -> Family Medicine. Program-specific percentages are found in each program under the section "Faculty & Trainees").

5. Canada has started placing limits on J visas. So far, there's no limit on J visas for FM. But if they start, you won't be able to train in the US at all without one (unless you are already a dual citizen)

I saw this. I am not a dual citizen and this of course can be a concern. I'll definitely keep an eye on it; however, the visas are limited by the Statement of Need requirement which is a letter issued by Health Canada. They allocate a certain number annually by specialty. FM actually does have a limit, but we have never come close to hitting it:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php

6. You'll need to take the USMLE, and potentially the Canadian exams also. You didn't mention if you took the MCAT, but remember that the only people who take the USMLE are those that do well enough on the MCAT to get into medical school. If you don't do well on this exam, your options will be more limited.

I have not taken the MCAT, but I plan to. The USMLE Step 1 looks quite similar in content to the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I. If I luck out and get into Dal or MUN, I'll only take the MCCQE. If I go the international route, I'll take both to optimize my shot at a residency.

7. They state that you can train where you live, yet only list a few states where they have established rotations.
Yes. Through asking them, I know they have someone doing rotations in Canada in Manitoba. Regardless, I wouldn't care if I had to go travel to an established site in the US.

8. If you think that some local "teaching hospital" is going to take you for your rotations, that's pretty crazy. Perhaps it will work out, but perhaps not. Probably not.

All they say is that if you have a local teaching hospital they will reach out on your behalf; they in no way guarantee that you will be able to. Part of the rotation agreement is a weekly stipend paid to the hospital. I'm only seeing it as a possibility because in Canada the residency programs are administered by the medical schools; Dalhousie has a teaching agreement with my local hospital and they sponsor 1 FM IMG spot every year. I don't have my hopes up, but it can't hurt to try. Worse case they say no and I'll rotate in the US.

Like I said, OUM shouldn't be anyone's first choice -- does that sound like a shill? I'm not desperate, wearing blinders or rose-coloured glasses; I believe in making an informed decision through due diligence. I have in no way committed myself to attending OUM; I'm simply not discounting it out of hand. You make a great point that there are other offshore schools with proven track records. The point of this post was specifically to clarify whether OUM was "legitimate". If you're defining this as "have any graduates secured a residency and licensure" then yes, its legit. Is it a "good" school? Should it be regarded in the same way as those in the Caribbean? I have no idea, but I plan on researching them and finding out.

Again, thanks for caring enough to comment.

aProgDirector:

Thanks for the reply.

I never intended to be a cheerleader for the place; re-reading my initial post, I suppose it may have come off that way in parts. I just see so many people bashing these schools without apparent justification other than they're nontraditional I figured I'd share what I knew first-hand to at least give people a better idea of how they operate.

I see that you've been a very active poster and I really respect the time you've put in helping the student community; being an attending, I imagine your word carries a lot of weight. I appreciate that you cared enough to comment on my post.

Just to touch briefly on your points:

I mentioned that. I also said they readily admit that California doesn't accept ANY school with an online component and many states follow their lead. All I know is that OUM grads are practicing in the US and they meet Canada's requirements since they are listed in FAIMER and IMED.

Being based in Oceania, they have a large student body from Australia and New Zealand. However, it is pretty sketchy that they don't explicitly state their Step 1 scores or brag about their US residency matches each year. When I apply I plan on grilling them about their scores, enrollment numbers and match rates. If they don't want to share that info then that's a huge red flag and I won't attend, period. However, based on my communication with them so far they seem pretty transparent when you ask. If I had to guess, they don't post numbers because many fail out.

No disrespect, but please do your homework before making blatantly erroneous comments like this. CaRMS has a dedicated first-round IMG stream with 239 spots across all disciplines for 2017 versus 1234 spots for Canadian Medical Graduates (CMGs). The second round is open to all:

https://phx.e-carms.ca/phoenix-web/pd/main?mitid=1327#

Yes, this is true. Based on my research I'll need a J-1 visa. Some US programs won't consider IMGs at all. Thankfully there are 497 US FM programs and many appear to be IMG-friendly as shown by their program details on FREIDA (33.9% of FM residents are IMGs overall. This was found under Specialty Training Statistics -> Family Medicine. Program-specific percentages are found in each program under the section "Faculty & Trainees").

I saw this. I am not a dual citizen and this of course can be a concern. I'll definitely keep an eye on it; however, the visas are limited by the Statement of Need requirement which is a letter issued by Health Canada. They allocate a certain number annually by specialty. FM actually does have a limit, but we have never come close to hitting it:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hcs-sss/hhr-rhs/postgrad-postdoc/cat_b-list-liste-eng.php

I have not taken the MCAT, but I plan to. The USMLE Step 1 looks quite similar in content to the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I. If I luck out and get into Dal or MUN, I'll only take the MCCQE. If I go the international route, I'll take both to optimize my shot at a residency.

Yes. Through asking them, I know they have someone doing rotations in Canada in Manitoba. Regardless, I wouldn't care if I had to go travel to an established site in the US.

All they say is that if you have a local teaching hospital they will reach out on your behalf; they in no way guarantee that you will be able to. Part of the rotation agreement is a weekly stipend paid to the hospital. I'm only seeing it as a possibility because in Canada the residency programs are administered by the medical schools; Dalhousie has a teaching agreement with my local hospital and they sponsor 1 FM IMG spot every year. I don't have my hopes up, but it can't hurt to try. Worse case they say no and I'll rotate in the US.

Like I said, OUM shouldn't be anyone's first choice -- does that sound like a shill? I'm not desperate, wearing blinders or rose-coloured glasses; I believe in making an informed decision through due diligence. I have in no way committed myself to attending OUM; I'm simply not discounting it out of hand. You make a great point that there are other offshore schools with proven track records. The point of this post was specifically to clarify whether OUM was "legitimate". If you're defining this as "have any graduates secured a residency and licensure" then yes, its legit. Is it a "good" school? Should it be regarded in the same way as those in the Caribbean? I have no idea, but I plan on researching them and finding out.

Again, thanks for caring enough to comment.

OUM is far worse than many of the Caribbean schools. I'd pick any of the Big 4 Caribbean schools before I'd go to OUM. They do have a record of placing students into residency spots, even if they do have issues and you have significant risks of not matching. OUM is throwing your money away. Don't do it.

Hi ThoracicGuy:

Thanks for joining in on the conversation.

Why is OUM "far worse"? Because they seem secretive about certain stats? Because passing Step 1 through home study seems impossible? I'm not disagreeing with you, I really don't know either way. I'm actually going to start researching some other places tonight (Big 4, etc). Stats speak louder than opinions; do you have data to back yours up with? I'd honestly like to see some links if you , it will help with my research.

I agree I was a bit cavalier about the "you have no chance of matching in Canada" bit. Some Canadian IMG's end up back in Canada. I didn't realize it was quite as many as you quoted. Exactly what your chances in this would be are unclear. Looking at the CaRMS data, it looks like there were about 1700 FM IMG applicants -- but many of these were prior graduates and their chances of getting a spot were very poor. Of the new graduates, looks like 91/191 matched to FM. I don't know how many Canadian IMG's didn't even try to match in Canada, or applied and didn't get any interviews and hence didn't register for CaRMS. And I don't know if OUM does better, or worse, than average.

The second iteration of CaRMS is not of much help, because it occurs after the NRMP match. So, to participate in the second iteration, you have to forgo the NRMP which seems a very bad choice (or simply not match at all despite trying, which wouldn't bode well in the second iteration).

My only advice is this: be very careful beliving what they tell you. They are trying to sell you a dream. Showing you 1 or 2 people who "made it" isn't a good sample. You may ask for their average Step 1, and they may give you a number, but you have no idea how that number was derived -- they could only average those who passed, for example. Buyer beware.

Hi Dr Canuck,

I'm from Manitoba, and I've been really thinking of applying at OUM.

Are u studying at OUM now?

I just want to know if there really is a teaching hospital in Manitoba. How did u learn about it? U of Manitoba is the only med school in MB.

Thanks

Hi All,

My apologies upfront; this is going to be quite lengthy. I just want to be thorough.

I'm a 40-year-old Canadian who is preparing to go to med school. While I am absolutely applying to brick and mortar schools, the likelihood of me getting in is slim (based on historical admission statistics, my grades, etc. around 10% to 15%). I actually forget how I stumbled upon OUM, but I thought it was interesting. The more I looked into it, the more attractive it became. They have an extensive website (http://www.oceaniamed.org/graduateMD/) that covers almost any question you might have, but I decided to post this to remove some of the ambiguity for things that may not be obvious.

First things first: OUM shouldn't be anyone's first choice; it's designed for mature students who want a shot at an M.D. The average entering student is 40.5 and most of them already have careers in healthcare (nurses, physician assistants, paramedics, etc.). As an IMG, your best shot for a residency will be in primary care (FM, peds, IM, psych). I'm personally targeting FM. The program is also super expensive (Anywhere from $140,000 - $200,000 US depending on if/where/how often you travel for your clinical rotations as most hospitals charge a weekly hosting fee, typically $200-$500 above and beyond tuition). The school is upfront about prospective students doing their due diligence to make sure that their state/province will recognize the school. They have openly admitted that CA doesn't recognize them and tell you which states follow CA's lead. Since I don't plan to practice in the US, this really isn't an issue for me, but the counselors are more than happy to answer questions about specific states. As far as Canada is concerned, my province (New Brunswick) will license me.

They offer frequent (at least monthly) hour-long online presentations with live chat via Blackboard with graduates/current students/instructors. Here's the link to see their current offerings:

http://www.oum.edu.ws/graduateMD/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=129&Itemid=132

I've personally attended 10 of these sessions, including 3 sample lectures, and they are all quite informative. Again, the admission counselors are very friendly and readily accessible via email for questions.

Here are answers to a few common questions about OUM. If you have others, please check out their website, email a counselor via their site or PM me:

Regarding admissions:
The only formal academic admission requirements for North American applicants are an accredited Bachelor's degree with a min GPA of 3.0 and a one-year course in chemistry with a lab component. While the MCAT isn't required, they say it will strengthen your application. You also need to submit an essay about why you want to become a physician and provide three references, including at least one from a physician. I know a lot of skeptical people think because they're a for-profit institution anyone who can prove they can pay will be admitted. From talking with them directly, it becomes obvious that this isn't true. They make way more money from positive results and positive word-of-mouth.

If you get invited to an interview, they do two rounds. The first is more of a meet-and-greet format with one admissions counselor. They want to get a feel for your personality and to make sure you understand the commitment required. They go over the special challenges on-line students face, especially regarding gross anatomy, microbiology and pathology (high-def on-line slides/videos). They also want to make sure that you're state will license you at this stage.

The second round is a panel format. This is where they look for qualities typically required by most med schools: Empathy, ability to handle stressful situations, etc.

If your science background is too weak for direct entry into the M.D. program, they offer a 40-week post-baccalaureate program. Scoring 70%+ in it gives you automatic admission to the M.D. program with advance standing (I believe equal to almost the 40-week mark).

They have two intake periods: January and July. Looking at past announcements on their site, there looks to be 25-30 entering students per intake. Please keep in mind that this is global; lots of students hail from Oceania (Australia, New Zealand, etc.). I think roughly half are North American; their News section has stories about historical incoming classes.

About the curriculum:
You start by attending a live orientation and white coat ceremony, typically held in Houston. I believe it lasts a few (3?) days. Most if not all of the instructors attend. Oceania students who cannot attend in person connect on-line.

For years 1 & 2:
The first phase (~two years) is your typical pre-clinical curriculum. Like most schools, the coursework preps you for the USMLE Step 1 (or equivalent, since I'm Canadian). You rotate through each subject separately and they use a problem-based learning case study format. There are live on-line interactive lectures via Blackboard throughout the week; these are archived for later review. Many students also arrange group study sessions on Skype. Your study material is accessed electronically via Clinical Key at $500/year. The instructors are typically American native English speakers and all have an M.D. or Ph.D. in the subject matter. Most of them are full-time clinicians who do this on the side. There is also a 6-week course on Research Methodology where you need to submit a preceptor-reviewed, journal-quality research paper.

One feature I really like about this phase of the program is the mentor. They supply you with the material you need to find a local M.D. to mentor you during the first two years. S/he needs to be willing to meet face-to-face for at least one hour/week and OUM pays them $50 US/hr.

Two last points about the first two years:
1. OUM has a USMLE-style, in-house exam that you need to pass before you can take Step 1.
2. There is a seven-week online clinical skills course that focuses on the non-tactile components of an exam (mannerisms, sensitivity, directed questioning, etc.). There is also an in-person component, but you have a choice: Either do the live clinical skills course hosted by Kaplan (@ about $5,000 US) OR start your clinical rotations with the requisite 12 weeks of Internal Medicine on campus in Samoa (see below).

For years 3 & 4:
The last two years are your typical clinical rotations. Of the 72 weeks' worth, a minimum of 4 need to take place on campus in Samoa. This cost (airfare, accommodations, etc.) is above and beyond tuition and will run roughly $5,000 US. There is lots of information online about the country, but think Hawaii. OUM recommends that you do either OB/GYN (the attendings supervise but they'll let you be the primary on uncomplicated vaginal deliveries) or 12 weeks of IM (in lieu of the Kaplan course). They also have an established network of hospitals in the US and Canada where you can rotate through. I don't have an explicit list, but some of them are listed on their website and that is a great question for the counselors. If you have a teaching hospital nearby, they will contact them on your behalf to see if you can do some/most of your rotations there. I know they have done this in Canada (Manitoba), and as I have a teaching hospital in my hometown I'm hoping this might be a possibility.

Their clinical modules cover the usual areas (see their site for details). One thing I did notice is that psych is only four weeks and Canadian residencies (at least in Newfoundland) require a minimum of six weeks, so that would be two of my 16-weeks' worth of electives.

About residency:
Of course there is no guarantee of getting one; it's competitive. ERAS and the SF Match have stats on success rates. That being said, I have attended on-line talks by current residents, most recently this month by Orla Weinhold, PGY-3 in psych at Maricopa in Arizona. Her bio is here:

http://www.mihspsychiatry.org/meet-our-residents.html

She was very open about her experience and offered her email for questions. I was curious and looked this program up on FREIDA. They interview roughly 60 people for one of the 6 annual spots. I think that says a lot about the school. I also know of several other graduates but I'm not going to list them all here. For the curious, looking through the OUM site will reveal many more (especially under the News section and the videos).

The instructors help any way they can. They said that to optimize your shot at a residency you should be open to where you go. You should also do your clinical rotations at as many places as possible; your chances will increase greatly since program coordinators will typically put people they know (and made a good impression, of course) at the top of their list for an interview.

Yes, they are vague on enrollment, USMLE pass rates/scores and residency success rates. I agree that they shouldn't be. If I had to guess, my gut says that many of the people who enroll are surprised to find how challenging it is and drop out and the school doesn't want to scare off potential applicants. At any rate, based on my research, OUM is definitely a legitimate option for anyone who is flexible, driven and goes into it with their eyes wide open.

Again, sorry for the length. Feel free to PM for any more info.

Hi Mtoba Med:

I think you were at the GI presentation yesterday, correct? I said hi, but there were a lot of questions being asked in chat at the end of the session so my comment to you was probably lost in the shuffle. I asked Chris Dudley about OUM's Canadian rotations in a previous presentation. He mentioned Manitoba, but not the particular hospital(s). I'm sure if you email him directly he'd be happy to give you specifics.

Sorry if you already know this, but I just want to be clear: Canadian clinical rotations and residency programs are administered by the med schools, whereas (and please correct me if I'm wrong everyone) US programs are administered by the hospitals. So I'm not sure if OUM needed to liaise with UoM, a particular hospital directly, or both. Negotiating rotations in general seems fairly complex: For example, in NB there are two health networks, Horizon (anglophone) and Vitalité (francophone). Dal works with hospitals throughout both of these networks and MUN works with one Horizon hospital in Waterville, NB. Again, Chris would be your best source for details about this.

No, I have not applied yet. Even though OUM doesn't require it, I'm currently preparing for the MCAT. I live in New Brunswick. Both Dalhousie and Memorial reserve seats for NBers, so they're my top choices. I'm also considering applying to the other English Canadian med schools. However, my chances with all of these places are slim so I'm looking closely into offshore options.

Hopefully you've read my (seemingly exhaustive) posts above. I tried to give an unbiased opinion of this school. aProgDirector was also kind enough to offer advice on the matter. I agree with other comments on this thread that although at least a few people have secured licensure (thereby proving it is "legit"), you really should see OUM as a backup option at best. Here are a few reasons why:

1. Med school is hard enough; although possible, you would need an incredible amount of discipline to do it successfully from home. My gut says that most people who enroll at OUM drop out during the first two years because they didn't really understand how demanding it will be. I've actually been working full-time from home for the past five years, so I feel like I know the expectations. I'm also married and I'd like to stay home as long as possible, which is a big reason why I'm still considering this place. The truth is, like most things, you really would only get out of it what you put into it.

2. Brick and mortar schools add tactility (ongoing clinical skills practice, immediate face-to-face support, cadavers, experience handling equipment, etc.) which is invaluable. OUM does require you to secure a local physician as a mentor, so if you go this route my advice would be to get one who would let you job shadow on a regular basis so you could work on these skills.

3. Although they may have successfully negotiated rotations in Manitoba before, there is no guarantee that they'll be able to continue that relationship for you. You should hedge your bets and *expect* to spend years 3 & 4 rotating through their US hospitals.

I'm also looking into other offshore options (Caribbean, etc). Here are some general things to think about when going the IMG route, especially as a Canadian:

1. What is your ultimate goal? Mine is to practice FM in NB. I believe the overall IMG match rate in NA is around 50% and most matched in primary care (FM, IM, Psych, Peds). If you are looking to practice something outside of these, your odds of matching are much, much worse and I'd strongly advise against offshoring.

2. Almost every Canadian IMG residency has a year-for-year return of service (ROS) agreement; for example, FM is only two years in Canada, but after this you'll have to spend your first two years of practice in a place of the sponsor's (i.e. the med school's) choosing. All of these details are on the CaRMS web site.

3. If you study offshore, you would be wise to apply aggressively to residencies in the US. IMO, your best option would be to embrace the opportunity to rotate in the US. Divide your clinical rotations up into 18 four-week chunks and ideally rotate through 17 hospitals with FM programs (remember, with OUM you need to spend at least 4 weeks in Samoa). Introducing yourself to program directors during a rotation goes a long way to securing residency interviews.

4. US FM residencies are three years in length versus two in Canada, but there is no ROS. Also, the CCFP automatically certifies Canadians who complete FM in the US and come back to Canada to practice. My dream in retirement is to winter in the US, so for me the idea of being dual-certified is very appealing.

I'd be happy to field any other questions you may have. Feel free to post or PM.

(please correct me if I'm wrong everyone) US programs are administered by the hospitals.
This is correct. GME is a hospital based function, and although a program might be affiliated with a medical school, the two are separate. There are a few exceptions -- in the DO world, there are OPTI programs that are very tightly linked to their home school, but these are a very small piece of the pie and not worth worrying about.

I agree with other comments on this thread that although at least a few people have secured licensure (thereby proving it is "legit")
I think this statement might explain some of the disagreement above. It depends upon your definition of "legit". If you mean "it is possible to get a residency and ultimately practice (i.e. the school is not a complete scam)" then it's "legit". When many of us are defining "legit", we're saying "A good percentage of those students who start school ultimately end up in a residency". OUM might not meet that definition.

Divide your clinical rotations up into 18 four-week chunks and ideally rotate through 17 hospitals with FM programs
This is an important issue, and an important question to ask. Medical schools can contract with any hospital, or even with private physicians, to take their students for rotations. You should NOT assume that your rotations will be at places that have residency programs. Many international schools simply send their students to community hospitals that have no residents at all. The school may tell you that all of their students rotate at "teaching hospitals" because there is no definition of such. If the school sends students there, and docs teach the students, it's a "teaching hospital". I would recommend asking OUM, or any other school, exactly what their rotations are. Are they at hospitals that have residency programs in the rotation you're assigned to? Do you rotate on teams that have residents? Rotating at a community site without a residency program isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you won't be meeting any PD's that way, and programs may not be impressed with your experiences.

When many of us are defining "legit", we're saying "A good percentage of those students who start school ultimately end up in a residency". OUM might not meet that definition.

Ah, great point. Yes, you're absolutely right. I interpreted the thread as "Have at least some graduates secured a residency?". For all I know, every success could have been a former employee of the hospital they matched into.

You should NOT assume that your rotations will be at places that have residency programs. Many international schools simply send their students to community hospitals that have no residents at all...

Oh, wow. I've never considered that! Thank you so much aProgDirector. With almost 500 FM programs in the US I shamefully assumed these schools would *only* be contracting with hospitals offering residencies; although for-profit, it's how I thought they justified charging $140,000 US for the M.D. Crap, now I need to get an explicit list of their ongoing contracts and a list of who they've successfully dealt with before then cross-reference them in FREIDA. I doubt I'd enroll in a school that didn't let you meet PDs.

***(UPDATE)***
I just found this article on the OUM site that discusses the newest entering class:

http://www.oum.edu.ws/graduateMD/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=320

While perhaps not representative of the typical year, here is a demographic breakdown:

"...35 new students... Twenty-two members of the class entering OUM in July {2016} are from Australia, ten from the United States, two from Canada, and one from New Zealand."

For the curious folk, the "320" in the above link appears to be article #320; lowering this number lets you read their archived news. Article #312 (August 2016) lists rotation updates, both who and where. Although some of these #s appear to occasionally repeat an article, it looks like there's enough information on these pages to get a clear picture of past entering class sizes and country of origin, how many make it to rotations, where they rotate, how many graduate and, going back far enough, how many are in residency. Time to research...

Last edited:
On the page of rotations you referenced, there were three students in US rotations. One site has an IM and FP program. The other two have no GME programs at all.

Although being founded in 2002, they only started posting public-accessible statistics in the last three years. After looking into their news posts and disseminating the information here's what I've gleaned:

They have two annual intake classes, one in Jan and one in July. As I suspected there was basically no information about Canadian students other than at least 4 have enrolled over the years and it looks like there were none doing rotations this past year.

ENTERING CLASS SIZES:
2015:
Jan: 20
July: 31 - 18 AU, 9 US, 2 American Samoans, 1 CAN, 1 Singapore

2014:
Jan: 37 (largest single intake ever) - 22 AU, 10 US

2013:
Jan: 24
July: 28 - 9 AU, 17 US, 1 Japan, 1 Poland (based on the other classes, I'm suspicious that the AU and US numbers are reversed).

1. They had 7 US students rotate through 9 specialties across 9 institutions between October 2015 and August 2016.
2. Of these nine places, only 3 have residency affiliation: One has sponsored programs, one is a program affiliate, and one has both programs and is an affiliate. Does anyone know if its beneficial to rotate at an affiliate location? Can it get you in touch with a PD? Do they have an on-site program supervisor you can get a LoR from?
3. For IMGs, there are two programs (there is technically a 3rd in FM, but it requires applicants to be a US citizen or permanent resident plus have one year of recent US clinical experience). One program is in IM (with 23% current IMGs) and one in OB/GYN (5% current IMGs). Both sponsor H1-B visas.

Assuming ~30% of each class is US on average, there looks to be around 9 entering per session = 18 per year. In this past year there were only 7 US students doing rotations, which implies a dropout rate of approximately 80.5% (36 year 1 & 2 students, 7 year 3 & 4 students). This is pretty much in line with my suspicion that most people drop out leading up to or just after Step 1 - again, home study is possible but exceedingly difficult. It's also likely why OUM doesn't post stats.

So IF you can handle the first two years and get a decent Step 1 score, it looks like they have enough US contracts to do all of your clinical requirements. The last big question is how many of these 7 grads secure a residency? Four would put it on par with most international schools (57% match rate). I know of at least 10 who have done it, but the only way I can think of off-hand to get an exhaustive list is to search state licensing boards.

Take this for what it's worth; I've pretty well exhausted my contribution to this thread.

Nice work. I can imagine that took some time and effort.

Looking at those numbers, it seems crazy to go there. 80% drop out rate. I know you're sure that you'll be in the 20% that does fine. But so did the 80% of people who dropped out.

If you're at an affiliate site, they will have a site director. That person might or might not have any bearing on the admissions process for the program.

When IMG's rotate at US sites, their best chances of getting a spot are often at those sites. You might want to look at the sites where OUM rotates for OUM grads.

Overall, this looks like a really bad idea. But it's your money.

I have a colleague who studied his MD there. He actually works as an emergency registrar at one of the hospitals in the Metro South Brisbane region of Queensland, Australia. The biggest thing going for him was the fact he was a critical care paramedic with 15+ years of experience. He did have to sit the Australian Medical Accreditation Exam and apply to do further bridging courses before he was able to commence his internship. He never mentions going there due to the amount of crap people have given him in the past.

I wouldn't recommend it; but, he is the only example of someone I know going to OUM.

I stumbled on this thread about OUM while looking for something else, and I thought maybe commentators here would like to know about my experience, as the spouse of an OUM student who graduated and is now in Residency in the US ...

Keep in mind, I am not a medical person, but I had a front-row seat to OUM (and can only speak for the US part of things) ...

My wife grew up the daughter of a doctor and a nurse. She was around medicine all her life, and her father owned a family medical practice in small-town USA. She started medical school the traditional route, and was accepted to a medical program. However, she was unable to complete her training in the traditional format due, in a large part, to the pacing required. She is extremely dyslexic.

She chose OUM because it allowed her to tackle one course at a time, with all the intense readings it required. In that regard, it was a good fit for her. It took her eight years to finish, instead of four. So, in that regard, it was really horrible. (The gaps were more due to money than anything else. OUM is expensive! And, at the time she was there, not eligible for the loans and grants available to med students at US accredited universities.).

Once she had completed the basic coursework, she spent the next (almost) four years jetting around the US doing rotations at various hospitals. Again, money was an issue (paying for travel to and from the rotation, paying for living space and food while there, paying the hospital that agreed to take on the rotation, paying tuition to the school for the privilege of their agreeing to the rotation, paying for insurance in case the student inadvertently kills / disables someone, etc). All of that is why it took so long. She would do one or two rotations, come back home for a few months, study for the USMLE while home, before going off again to the next rotation. For those who want to know, she had rotations in: Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Missouri, Pennsylvania, Samoa (required), and Texas. (I'm sure I'm probably forgetting a state or two). OUM does (or did) have a person who acted as liaison between school and student and worked on finding rotation placements, but my wife also did a lot of her own leg-work, seeking out contacts and chasing down leads for places that would be willing to take her on as a med student, which was a challenge because who had really heard of OUM?

Most of her OUM classmates / peers seemed to have an "in" somewhere; they were already attached to a hospital or doctor and could more easily secure their rotations through them. My wife was on her own in that regard. She tried to pick rotations that had Residencies attached to them, to better her chances for Match. She was about 50% successful. Half of her rotations were at teaching hospitals and half were not.

While doing her coursework / rotations, she went to several OUM gatherings (orientations / professional developments / etc). Seems like there were one or two a year. That was also expensive. (Some were mandatory, some were elective, but the costs adds up all the same).

She took, and passed, the USMLE Parts I and II while completing her rotations, first try. Her preparation for each test was months long. My frustration with OUM about the USMLE is that they wanted her to pass their in-house test before they allowed her to take the USMLE Part I. -- I get it, I do. They want to make sure a student is ready. It also boosts their credentials if their students pass on the first go. However, her complaint was that the in-house test was not really good prep for the USMLE. (OUM has since started an overhaul of the in-house test to make it more meaningful, but, at the time, it was a waste of time).

Once she graduated, getting her in Match took a great deal of back-and-forth with the school over coursework and records and whatnot. OUM always complied with the requests, but them not having everything ready-to-go made things more arduous than it should have been.

She also did a heck of a lot of research, and only applied to Match programs that would accept OUM (which knocked out all of the West Coast - Cali, Oregon, and Washington state, as well as several other states ... some of them surprising, given that they are hard-up for doctors ... Kentucky? Arkansas? who knew). After all her research, she applied to 185 programs. (Don't get me started on what *that* cost). And, in the land of Match, you can only get interviews where you have applied. She landed 9 interviews: Georgia, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois (x2), Minnesota, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Some of the interviews were where she did her rotations, but most were because somewhere she did her rotations knew someone involved in the Residency selection somewhere else. (For instance, her Texas rotation had ties to the Nebraska Residency). The "good ole boy" network is alive and well in medicine, no matter what anyone else tells you.

When she ranked her programs for Match (and you can only rank programs that granted interviews), she and I were very strategic about it. (I work in Admissions, though not of the medical sort). We ranked programs based on the probability of selection to the program. Her first choice was actually ranked third, because of the number of slots available in her other top three programs. Her rank 1 program (actually her second choice) only had 4 Residency slots. If she would have placed it anywhere else on her list, there is no way she would have snagged a spot. Her rank 2 program (actually her third choice) only had 12 Residency slots. I was absolutely astounded that she wasn't selected there, but, in hindsight, I realize that she probably would have had to have ranked them 1 in order to have any chance at all.

She matched (ironically) to her top choice (which we ranked third ... they had 28 Residency slots). This was an awesome conclusion to the eight year journey that was OUM. However, once she started the paperwork to get her medical license through the state, there were some snags on getting approval, which involved a lot more back-and-forth with OUM to satisfy the state's licensing board. She was finally granted her license 2 days before she started her Residency (the back-and-forth took four months to get resolved). For those keeping score at home, there were 2 OUM students going through Match (my wife and one other person). She matched, he didn't. For that year, OUM had a 50% Match rate. Heh.

I will state outright that OUM is not the pathway for everyone. I would also say that OUM isn't the pathway for anyone that can get their MD in some other way. I think my wife is one of the lucky few who graduated from OUM and is now practicing medicine as an MD in the US. And, I want to make a distinction here ... I have met several OUM grads who are MDs but can't get a job practicing medicine on their own-some because they never went through Residency. In the US, you *have* to go through a Residency program in order to practice medicine without the oversight of another doctor (who completed Residency) signing off on everything you do (Nurse Practitioners have more authority / power than that kind of MD). So, does OUM help people reach their MDs? Sure. Does it mean you will get to really practice medicine? Well, that depends ...

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you @Renesk for the well-explained narrative of your wife's success. Congratulations to you both for achieving your goals!

For potential students reading this, I think there are a few key takeaways that I'd like to highlight - most of which boil down to how much ownership of her own educational/training program your wife had to take, and how her success was a direct result of her own relentless initiative (with due credit to your support):

It took her eight years to finish, instead of four....

My wife also did a lot of her own leg-work, seeking out contacts and chasing down leads for places that would be willing to take her on as a med student, which was a challenge because who had really heard of OUM?

Most of her OUM classmates / peers seemed to have an "in" somewhere;

She tried to pick rotations that had Residencies attached to them, to better her chances for Match. She was about 50% successful. Half of her rotations were at teaching hospitals and half were not.

After all her research, she applied to 185 programs.... She landed 9 interviews:"

I'm really glad she made it. She earned it! The key, I think, is that the credit belongs to HER. This is a perfect example of someone owning their own future and making it happen. Had she been a more passive student, waiting for the school to make the opportunities available to her, I suspect she'd have had a much different outcome...

Do keep in mind that she represents an extreme outlier..

Thank you @Renesk for the well-explained narrative of your wife's success. Congratulations to you both for achieving your goals!

For potential students reading this, I think there are a few key takeaways that I'd like to highlight - most of which boil down to how much ownership of her own educational/training program your wife had to take, and how her success was a direct result of her own relentless initiative (with due credit to your support):

It took her eight years to finish, instead of four....

My wife also did a lot of her own leg-work, seeking out contacts and chasing down leads for places that would be willing to take her on as a med student, which was a challenge because who had really heard of OUM?

Most of her OUM classmates / peers seemed to have an "in" somewhere;

She tried to pick rotations that had Residencies attached to them, to better her chances for Match. She was about 50% successful. Half of her rotations were at teaching hospitals and half were not.

After all her research, she applied to 185 programs.... She landed 9 interviews:"

I'm really glad she made it. She earned it! The key, I think, is that the credit belongs to HER. This is a perfect example of someone owning their own future and making it happen. Had she been a more passive student, waiting for the school to make the opportunities available to her, I suspect she'd have had a much different outcome...

When she ranked her programs for Match (and you can only rank programs that granted interviews), she and I were very strategic about it. (I work in Admissions, though not of the medical sort). We ranked programs based on the probability of selection to the program. Her first choice was actually ranked third, because of the number of slots available in her other top three programs. Her rank 1 program (actually her second choice) only had 4 Residency slots. If she would have placed it anywhere else on her list, there is no way she would have snagged a spot. Her rank 2 program (actually her third choice) only had 12 Residency slots. I was absolutely astounded that she wasn't selected there, but, in hindsight, I realize that she probably would have had to have ranked them 1 in order to have any chance at all.

This paragraph is factually incorrect and not how the match works. You should rank in order of your preference no matter what. There is literally no advantage to not doing this, and only the possibility of you getting a less desired program higher on your list. You cannot "game" the system. Number of program spots doesn't matter because the algorithm is applicant-first. I'm glad it worked out for this person, but its clear they would have had the same outcome if they had ranked their actual number one first. The algorithm is publicly available, and one of its developers won the Nobel prize in economics in 2012 for his work on it.

This paragraph is factually incorrect and not how the match works. You should rank in order of your preference no matter what. There is literally no advantage to not doing this, and only the possibility of you getting a less desired program higher on your list. You cannot "game" the system. Number of program spots doesn't matter because the algorithm is applicant-first. I'm glad it worked out for this person, but its clear they would have had the same outcome if they had ranked their actual number one first. The algorithm is publicly available, and one of its developers won the Nobel prize in economics in 2012 for his work on it.
You are entirely correct regarding the rank order list.

I believe the Nobel was for the "Couples Match" algorithm...

From what I can tell, the award was to Lloyd Shapley and Alvin Roth for their work in market design and game theory. Prior to 1997 the NRMP used a matching algorithm that Roth studied and found that it was hospital favoured and could be manipulated by applicants not ranking in their best interest. The NRMP asked Roth and Elliott Peranson to create a new algorithm which was introduced in 1997, which was applicant favoured, prevented manipulation by hospitals, and included the couples match for the first time. Source

From what I can tell, the award was to Lloyd Shapley and Alvin Roth for their work in market design and game theory. Prior to 1997 the NRMP used a matching algorithm that Roth studied and found that it was hospital favoured and could be manipulated by applicants not ranking in their best interest. The NRMP asked Roth and Elliott Peranson to create a new algorithm which was introduced in 1997, which was applicant favoured, prevented manipulation by hospitals, and included the couples match for the first time. Source
As noteworthy as the original algorithm was, I believe it was the Couple's match that garnered the prize. One might say that the couple's match was built upon the original algorithm, though.