AA98

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm thinking about taking both my spring semester so I can study over this summer and eventually take my MCAT during August.

Would I have to know concepts taught in OChem II to succeed in Biochem?

Thanks!

kamakazi5

10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2007
Texas
Status
Medical Student
It's not necessary (although some schools like mine make it a prereq) but I do think a number of the reactions you learn carry over well to biochemistry. Also, I remember there being more useful information in Organic 2 with regards to the MCAT as well.

About the Ads

LnSin

2+ Year Member
Sep 21, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I kinda think it is... you need to know stuff like hemiacetal/acetal formation, and a bunch of the reduction/oxidation reactions. That being said, just because the CONTENT of Ochem II is needed, it doesn't mean you need to take the class. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time doing independent research in figuring out those reaction mechanisms by yourself.

I know my professor made us know the MECHANISM of how lysozyme takes down a glycosidic linkage--you don't cover that in Ochem I.

Isoval

I'm marginally higher on the totem pole.
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2017
Texas
Status
Medical Student
It helped me on one question one time.

My answer would have to be a pretty solid no.

Reactions: eljefemdfuturo

DoctorSnow

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm thinking about taking both my spring semester so I can study over this summer and eventually take my MCAT during August.

Would I have to know concepts taught in OChem II to succeed in Biochem?

Thanks!
Not at my school but my professor scheduled the semester out so we had 3 weeks open at the end of the year. These 3 weeks were literally labeled "Introduction to Biochemistry" and she even tested us on that material for the final. I'm in Biochemistry right now and I'm thankful almost every single day that she forced us to memorize all the amino acids/single letter abbrevs. before the actual class!

altblue

5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2014
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
it depends on whether or not your biochem i covers curved arrow mechanisms

About the Ads