J.Pearlman

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2002
Visit site
Status
Hello all, is oct. 1st (or 2nd) an okay time to submit the acomas app. I had it filled out for a month now and would have submitted early but I wasnt sure how many schools to apply to. I am thinking about waiting till oct. 1st to decide how many schools, just in case I need to apply to more because of a lower than expected score. Can anyone tell me what is considered early, normal, late, very late, when submitting acomas. Thanks a lot everyone.

NUgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2002
Chicago
Status
October is not TOO late to submit, although it does put you at a small disadvantage. If I were you, I would submit now to some schools and then add some more if needed later. It does cost extra, but it may well be worth the money in the end. Or you can just add all the schools now. Don't extend unnecessarily if you don't have to.

I'd say turning in AACOMAS in May thru June is considered early. July-Aug is considered normal. Sept thru Oct is kinda late. And Nov-Jan is very late.

You really should turn in the primary now because you have to wait a few WEEKS for AACOMAS to process your app and then it takes from a week to two weeks to start receiving your secondaries. And then it takes a lot of time to do the secondaries, especially if you applied to a lot of schools.

Do yourself a favor, apply as early as possible, unless there is a serious money issue.

GOOD LUCK! :)

kristing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2002
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I turned mine in late September when I applied, and got good responses. I got an intreview at my top choice school (AZCOM) before I even sent in other secondaries (interview came about a week after I received most my secondaries). I got accepted within 2 weeks and I didn't even need to send in the secondaries, so I saved a ton of money.

I would send in the app now. Don't worry too much about the scores at this point. You want to get as early an interview as possible since a lot of schools have rolling admissions.

Good luck
Kristin
AZCOM2005

dim sum

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 17, 2002
Chino Bistro
Visit site
Status
definitely not too late, i applied in january ( a week before the deadline) and got 2 interviews out of 4 schools. But try as early as possible for better chance.

DOtobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2000
Pittsburgh, PA
www.myspace.com
Status
Attending Physician
I agree with everyone else.
It isn't too early to submit your AACOMAS, but as everyone said, make sure you send it out ASAP. If you get your secondaries done quickly after you receive them, you should be in good shape for getting interviews that aren't too late. You don't want to end up interviewing in March and spending the summer on a bunch of waitlists. (Believe me, I did it and had to reapply the following year.)

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
What if you don't have MCAT scores back yet? I've been told you can submit your primary without them, but do they start processing them before they have the MCAT scores?

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status
Optometrist
Never mind, they process them w/o and then update later when they receive them.

Optimistic

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2001
Ohio/Newyork
Visit site
Status
I submitted my AACOMAS on thanksgiving night :)