Is one semester too short an amount of time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NubianPrincess

Perpetually Bored
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To know someone before asking him/her for a letter of recommendation? Im not talking med school recs, but for scholarships or mcat preparation programs. What do you think? Please help me.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

If the person will write a good letter, then ask for it.

I asked people I didn't know that long to write me letters of rec. If you think they would help you, then ask them for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how well you really know the person. From my own experiences, even if someone is willing to write you a great rec, if they haven't known you for very long there isn't much they can say they actually saw you do. You want someone who can really talk about you in concerte, specific terms. That said, if you don't have anywhere else to go, then go ahead. Just remember to start buttering them up early, at least a few weeks ahead of time!

TH

no. I know many people who've got medical school LORs from profs they've only had for one semester and managed to get multiple acceptances.

I dont know for sure, and I really am guessing, but I would imagine 1 weak recommendation won't matter in the face of 1 glowing recommendation or 2 above average ones. If you are desperate for a 3rd rec and this one semester prof is it, then go for it, your other recs will carry you. Otherwise, it really depends on the context of your interaction with the prof and the type of letter you want written (one that espouses your academic or humanitarian or research virtues, etc)