1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Is one semester too short an amount of time

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NubianPrincess, Nov 10, 2002.

1. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To know someone before asking him/her for a letter of recommendation? Im not talking med school recs, but for scholarships or mcat preparation programs. What do you think? Please help me.:confused:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. owen_osh

owen_osh Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

If the person will write a good letter, then ask for it.

4. I asked people I didn't know that long to write me letters of rec. If you think they would help you, then ask them for it.

5. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  6. The Hulk

The Hulk Official Green Monster
    7+ Year Member

Depends on how well you really know the person. From my own experiences, even if someone is willing to write you a great rec, if they haven't known you for very long there isn't much they can say they actually saw you do. You want someone who can really talk about you in concerte, specific terms. That said, if you don't have anywhere else to go, then go ahead. Just remember to start buttering them up early, at least a few weeks ahead of time!

TH

7. Adcadet

Adcadet Long way from Gate 27
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    no. I know many people who've got medical school LORs from profs they've only had for one semester and managed to get multiple acceptances.

8. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I dont know for sure, and I really am guessing, but I would imagine 1 weak recommendation won't matter in the face of 1 glowing recommendation or 2 above average ones. If you are desperate for a 3rd rec and this one semester prof is it, then go for it, your other recs will carry you. Otherwise, it really depends on the context of your interaction with the prof and the type of letter you want written (one that espouses your academic or humanitarian or research virtues, etc)