Is or Oos?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daviddamoore

UK fool
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. :D

Does anyone know whether percentage out of state accepted is based upon your status before, or at, matriculation? For example, the NJMS statistics on who is accepted in state and out of state look particularly worrying. However, I have heard it is really easy to get state residency in NJ even just before matriculation, in which case that might explain the numbers a little.

Any thoughts, or will I just be ignored....? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

For my state school, I had to verify in-state status for tuition purposes at the beginning of the application process. I know that for UCs, it matters in decisions as well, so I assume they work off of your status while you are an applicant.

If the stats reflected the reality post-matriculation, I'm sure almost all students would opt to go in-state in a state with relatively easy criteria to do so.

From my experience, instate/out of state statistics reflect the last in coming class. My school does that, and since we have fluxuated from 10% out of state to 35% out of state in the last few years, so have those stats. Otherwise, the class would be 100% in state by graduation.

However, I'm not familiar with your source of in/out of state statitics. Maybe they are reporting number of applicants that were offered acceptance, but not the actually the final number that accept those positions.

sscooterguy